Options

2nd time's the charm?

Comments

• Options
    It's official, I've begun to spot lightly...

Us in a nutshell - Like you, we were together very young then reconnected later, been together going on 4 years and the only thing missing is starting a family. We've got great lives, good careers, we've got all the happiness in the world, we just want the icing on the cake!

I can't even believe that it didn't take. I thought for sure with all the new symptoms I'd never had before that it was gonna work. We've got some serious donor research to do since our guy is sold out. If this is a repeat of last month's failed attempt, I'll have my official day 1 Tuesday. I spotted for a day and a half before my day 1 last time and I just started to lightly spot this evening so Tuesday looks likely. We considered a rest cycle but have decided to march forward! Maybe it was a chromosomal thing and switching donors will be a good thing, who knows? I've read lots of posts on here where people switch donors and get a BFP the very first try! I've already gotten my emotional fit out of the way, time to get back into positive mode!!!!

I'm sorry about this cycle... sorry for the both of us. :(
  • Options
    Yeah it sucks. Is this cycle 4? You are on clomid too right? Have you heard that you shouldn't take clomid more than 6 months in a row as it can decrease pregnancy chances?

The process of picking a donor was hard, we have a back up picked, but I don't like him as much as I like 12224. And it's funny cuz we thought 12215 was our guy, but I am spanish and wanted a more spanish donor...Keep us updated on who you pick!!!! I think the only thing that makes us sad about our donor is his hair is soooooo curly...like the curls would fit around a pencil they are so small and tight. Lol....and Tommie hates that he has a dimpled chin.

That was my number in the other posting...Tommie said that wasn't clear...but anyways if you ever wanna chat or whatever...we definitely feel like we've connected with ya'll.
  • Options
    Well my light spotting turned into day 1 today. I could just scream!

Yes, once we repick a donor, this will be our 4th cycle on clomid. I just sent an email to our RE asking for advice. He may offer switching us to Femara, but I doubt it. I think he's gonna say that he likes the results we've been getting with clomid since it has produced 2, 2, and 3 mature follies for our trys. After looking back at the calendar, I've gotten my day 1 exactly 16 days after IUI both failed times. I'm wondering if I'm ovulating late or just starting late. Or maybe 12215 really wasn't meant to be after all. This is all turning so sad. If I didn't get pregnant the first time, I would think there was something wrong with my plumbing but now that I KNOW I can get pregnant I'm left with wondering exactly what is going wrong? I mean, the timing SHOULD be right since we're using the trigger and the timing HAS worked the first try. What else could it be???

Neither of us are spanish but we wanted darker features and thought 12215 was perfect. I've got a dimple in MY chin so maybe we should look @ 12224 LOL!

I got the number, it was clear, thanks! I'll keep it in case we need to chat with someone going thru all this too!
  • Options
    I am sorry, I had such good vibes for you both!
  • Options
    Ya know, our RE wanted to do Femera and the other 2 dr's in the office wanted to keep us on clomid....we did a little research and apparently Femera will ONLY help 1 follicle mature, more like a normal cycle. However from what I read it has way less side effects.

I'm ok staying with whatever produces mature follicles and I kinda look at it like, the more follicles produced the better the chance we have...Right?????? (well kinda, cuz we for sure had 2 mature follicles with 1 more very likely and 2 that were semi likely to ovulate with Ovidrel)...so that seems like we should have been prego, however we don't know what her lining was cuz it was only a measly 7mm on our day 14 US.

I need to do more research on the clomid though...like why can't you take it more than 6 months...does it actually DECREASE your chances of getting pregnant? How? Etc....cuz we have technically done 4 cycles with clomid...and we are on a high dose. So are chances decreased cuz of the high dose?

Better check 12224 out cuz he is CUTE! We have all the info on him if you did want it...

3rd and 4th IUI is going to be the charm!!!!!!!!! I have faith!
  • Options
    Wow, I didn't know that about Femara! If that's true we definitely wanna stay on the clomid! RE called back and, as predicted, wanted me to stay on course. He suggested IVF as always being an option but we all know that is too expensive to just 'give a try'. That would have to be our last resort!

I thought the same thing with 3 great follies and 77 million sperm, how could we go wrong?

I see that my 'nutshell' was kinda short, didn't have much time at the time I wrote that! My partner asked why I didn't say more when she read this! We've got 2 dogs and 4 cats collectively when we moved in together so it's literally a ZOO here LOL! We're both in our 30's and are extremely happy people!

I looked @ 12224 and I hope that he favors Mark the football player, what a cutie patootie!!! We were very overwhelmed when we first started looking at donors because there were so many results on our initial search. I'm RH- and CMV- so we narrowed it down A LOT by adding that to the search. I know most people don't know their blood type when they hook up so it shouldn't matter, but it's one less shot I'll need after I deliver! And since I'm already CMV- why introduce that into the picture? There is also a SMALL chance for developmental disabilities being CMV+ so why take the chance if you can choose not to? That helped us big time to narrow down our choices.

We just had our 'donor review' and now have a new top 3 who just happen to all have been in our previous top 10. We are both leaning towards our #2 pick from last time and are looking over the profiles one last time before we purchase.

3rd and 4th time's the charm for Pete's sake!!!!
  • Options
    I tried looking up more but a lot of what you read on Femara is about breast cancer...but I did look it up and saw that it said it's goal is to make the most mature single follicle...same thing Tommie said.

LOL...It's cool, you are a private person..we can tell that!!!! So neat though totally connecting with someone else...another couple just like us...going through all of this. Ya know it's one thing talking to my mom or someone else, but they never get it totally ya know? And it can be frustrating and add to the stress of this whole situation.

Ah, 12224 - Hi Natalie:) I'd love to give you my opinion. I can definitely see donor 12224's Irish and Spanish roots. He's more boyishly cute than handsome. I would definitely say he looks like a cross between his look-a-likes. The first thing I notice...d about this donor was his eyes - they are a clear, lovely hazel. He also has a really nice smile that reminds me of Jeremy Sisto's, though his lip shape is closer to Mark Sanchez. In the photo his teeth look white, even and straight. and he has no blemishes I can see. His nose shape is most similar to Jeremy Sisto's. He has very curly hair, closest to the model in this photo: http://www.buzzle.com/img/articleImages/297751-57019-27.jpg. The donor's hair color is closest to Mark Sanchez. His face shape is closest to Jeremy Sisto, but his eye shape and brows are closest to Mark Sanchez (however, there is more space between the donor's eyes and brows, and his eyes are a little larger than Mark's). Also, the donor's brows look more naturally "groomed" than either of his look-a-likes. I wouldn't say the donor leans one way or the other with regards to his look-a-likes; definitely a combo. Hope this helps!See More
    March 28 at 2:49pm

Here is what I posted about 12215:

His face shape is most similar to Denton's, and like Denton, he's more handsome than cute. His nose and lip shape remind me more of Chris Evans' here: http://topnews.in/light/files/Chris-Evans.jpg.... The donor's hair style in the photo is like Chris Evans' when it was shaved. It looks like a nice brown, similar to Glen Howerton's color, and his hairline isn't receding. Overall, he most resembles a younger James Denton to me. His skin tone is closest to Denton's here: http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/5/4/4/8/17988445-17988446-medium.jpg and is healthy, even-toned and blemish free. There are a few stray freckles. The donor's lovely hazel eyes are almond-shaped and close-set, like Ryan Gosling's, but the donor's eyes are larger. His brows are nicely shaped and closest to Denton's color, but a little thinner and more arched. I would guess just from seeing his photo that he is an athlete by the way he carries himself.

And for 12235:

His face shape is most similar to Matt's, but his chin is a little rounder. He's very cute! He has the same boyish quality as his look-a-likes. Overall, he reminds me most of a blue-eyed, more muscular version of Matt. They could probably be cousins, at minimum. His lip shape and the half-smile in his photo remind me more of Matt, especially here: http://www.tvsa.co.za/actorimages/18_leblanc_matt.jpg. He also has similar coloring. That said, I think the donor's nose is closer to Scott Wolf's - maybe a mix of both noses would be a more accurate portrayal. The donor's hair color is closest to Scott's. This donor has great skin and it looks like he tans well. Gorgeous eyes too; true blue with long lashes, shaped more like Matt's. Nicely shaped eyebrows that curve like Matt's, though the donor's are a little less thick. Definitely has high cheekbones, like both his look-a-likes.

Hope this helps!

All of that JUST in case you were curious....that is what the chick who mediates the FB page said about those donors.

There were a few donors we really liked but wanted someone who was spanish and those were limited...anyways, let us know who you guys go with we are curious to be nosey! LOL

For Pete's sake yes!
  • Options
    My RE goes straight to Fermara. Here is some info:
    An Overview of Infertility and Femara
    Femara® (letrozole) is a prescription medication licensed to treat breast cancer in postmenopausal women. It is part of a group of medications called aromatase inhibitors. Femara may also be recommended in an "off-label" fashion to treat infertility.

Early studies have shown that it may be at least as effective as Clomid® (clomiphene citrate) in treating infertility. These studies have also shown that Femara may be effective in women who did not become pregnant while taking Clomid. (Clomid is a prescription medication often used as a standard infertility treatment.)

How Femara Works for Infertility
    Femara is part of a group of medications called aromatase inhibitors.
    Aromatase is an enzyme found in various places in the body. These enzymes help produce estrogens (particularly, a certain estrogen called estradiol). As the name implies, aromatase inhibitors block these enzymes. By doing this, Femara helps to decrease the amount of estrogen in the body.

When a woman uses Femara for infertility, the medicine is taken for a few days near the beginning of the menstrual cycle. Temporarily decreasing the amount of estrogen in the body sends a message to the brain to increase the production of substances that stimulate the ovaries. This often causes ovulation in women who do not normally ovulate or who do not ovulate regularly.

In many ways, Femara works similarly to Clomid. However, Femara may be less likely to cause certain problems with cervical mucus. Clomid often causes cervical mucus problems, leading to vaginal dryness or cervical mucus changes that interfere with the motility of sperm.

Femara is also less likely to cause the lining of the uterus to thin, as Clomid sometimes does. A thin uterine lining can make pregnancy less likely

This is from the following site: http://breast-cancer.emedtv.com/femara/femara-for-infertility.html
  • Options
    Also, they say it is more expensive. My ins. won't pay for it and I payed $94 for five pills. You take it days 3-7 2.5mg at night. It can also cause birth defects. This is why you take it early in the cycle. It leaves the system very quickly so it will be out prior to ovulation/pregnancy.
  • Options
    Wow, thanks to both of you!

I haven't really read much about Femara because I saw that it wasn't FDA approved (I didn't know it WAS for other things) and had already written it off in my mind. That's about 3 times what I pay for Clomid! It seems like REs switch to Femara when they are not getting the desired results from Clomid. I am producing good sized follies and I am ovulating so I'm sure that's why my RE wants me to stay on course until it works.

We've given up on 12215 since he's sold out but thanks for that description. I was hoping he resembled Denton for sure! What made us choose him is the spanish influence. I love the darker features and sun kissed skin! Just beautiful!

Movin' on... we've made a decision and have placed our order! It's an Irish/Italian this time! I'm fair so hoping these darker features dominate the gene pool! LOL

With so much info, you're tempting me! I may have to make up a facebook name and join the group! LOL!!!
  • Options
    Lol the fb page is nice if you have questions about your donor, Aurora will give you a better description of donors if you ask and its kind of the same as these boards. There are also pictures of ppls babies on there and most tell you who their donor is. Its interesting to put a face to a name ya know.

In regards to femara, if you are producing follies and ovulating them personally I would stick with what works ya know! No sense in changing something that isn't broken! Only thing is after that 6 times on clomid you may have to switch it up.....

Ok time for school...booooo....talk to y'all later!
  • Options
    There is a private facebook group called CCB Friends. Search it and type in the whole name. It's a far cry from the official Cali Cryo page. The women there discuss everything. It's really funny and more of a family like environment. You should check it out.
  • Options
    Yeah I look at them both, there are different things on each.

M - has your Dr. discussed FSH injections with you? We hear those increase your chances of a BFP by 5-10%....so about 25% chance each cycle. The HSF helps your lining, it produces more follies and it also makes the follies you have higher quality and more mature.

Anyways, how did you appt go today? I'm assuming you had your baseline US today!

We are sending baby dust your way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let us know!
  • Options
    Nope! RE hasn't said much about anything other than the basic plan. If this 4th attempt doesn't work with the new donor, I may schedule a consult. He thinks my lining and follies look good every time, it's been just the luck of the draw. I only have 1 u/s per month between day 10 and 12, just before the IUI. That appointment is next wednesday (day 10). I'm hoping for 3 big follies again cuz I just know it will be triplets THIS time with a new donor! LOL

I haven't picked up my scripts yet and I start clomid tomorrow, yikes! Not as prepared this time around...
  • Options
    How big do follies have to be before you ovulate on your own, anyone know? I have a 30 day cycle most of the time and was just wondering if I had the IUI on cd 15 instead of 14 if it would make a difference. I would just be risking missing it altogether if I ovulated on my own before or early after the trigger.... Just something I was thinkin' bout!
  • Options
    What day to you normally get your trigger shot?

I had my ultrasound on day 14, the follicles were big enough so I got the trigger shot that day. The dr planned the IUI between 24 - 36 hours after the shot.

Guessing you normally do this timeframe but just checking. I was told clomid delays ovulation about 5 days, so I am guessing you wouldnt ovulate on your own on day 15.
  • Options
    We go on day 12, have never gotten a positive OPK on our own. Our RE always draws an LH level on D12 at the US appt and if the LH is low, like we won't surge on our own, we do the trigger that night then go in 37.5 hrs later (trigger 8pm, IUI 2 mornings later at 930.)

And I haven't researched how big they get, i think it just depends on when your body thinks they are mature.
  • Options
    Hi Mgalbn...I agree with Tommie. I did ultrasound CD12 and they also draw estrogen I think. Then nurse calls back to tell me when to trigger. I think the size can vary based on your body. I triggered 8pm and did IUI 36-41 hours later. I did get pregnant 2 out of 2 IUI's, although I later miscarried both times. I do believe some Re's do the IUI too early and 36-41 hours later seems to work perfect for me. I do OPK 2x per day around the trigger day just to make sure I don't ovulate on my own and I haven't. Good luck next round ladies...I'm rooting for you!!!
  • Options
    It's different for me. I go for US on day 12.. we measure follies and lining.. if all looks good we trigger that night and insem. 36 hours later. three days after insem.. start progesterone suppos. day 14 home perg. test. If negative .. we start over :-(
  • Options
    We use to do progesterone suppos same as you but the last time the dr said that was a waste since it's like 90 bucks for those pills....he said most women produce enough progesterone on their own, so we went in 7 days after iui to get progesterone level checked, if low then we were to start the suppos. if it was normal we didn't have to. We were normal so we didn't have to spend more money on something we didn't need.

We also do OPKx2 the days before our day 12 to make sure we aren't ovulating. And the main reason for checking the LH is because you could surge after you trigger but before you inseminate...so if you are imminent to ovulate on your own, they let you. If you are not going to, they trigger. GUess it's assuring...
  • Options
    After reading some of your post here and in other places, I see that most RE's perform IUI usually not until 36hrs after trigger shot. I'm so nervous that mine was too early. I questioned my RE why they suggest (Kaiser) 24hrs and he told me the theory of how long sperm lives(24-72hrs) and egg (24hrs)...etc, I think I got figures right, and we should be fine. Does anyone know if my 26 hr later insemination could of worked? I'm in my 2ww. I had injectibles and trigger followed by supporties. I can't buck their system and if this time doesn't work, don't know what to do.
  • Options
    My RE doesn't take any blood on my US appointment or have me use suppositories. He just looks at the size and all 3 times I've triggered on the evening of day 12 and had the IUI on the morning of day 14. It worked the first time so I know the timing must be pretty close each try. I was just wondering if I waited one more day to trigger and had the IUI on day 15 instead, it would give the little follies a little more time to mature. My biggest follie was on the first try and it worked, it was 22mm on day 12 and they still grow a little more until actual ovulation so it could have been at 23 or 24 when it was fertilized. I'm definitely gonna discuss it with the RE when I go in for my US and I trust him to know best about the timing...
  • Options
    I've seen a lot of posts where they only wait 24hrs for back to back IUIs... is that what you have gsalsa?
  • Options
    I tell you what, this clomid is a pain in the poo poo this time! I had bad nightmares last night (if I even take advil before bed I have bad dreams)I've been waking up with headaches and last night I turned into a blubbering idiot over something so little then couldn't even remember why I had started to cry. I think my partner is gonna need a vacay with all these hormones flying around for almost 5 months!!! LOL
  • Options
    Hey Ladies,
    Been following your threads for awhile and anxiously awaiting your BFPs! My partner and I are gearing up for our very first IVF (we had 3 failed IUIs--2 medicated). I noticed you discussed donor #12235 in an earlier post and wondered if any of you ending up choosing that one. We are planning to use him in August. Best of luck!!! :)
  • Options
    Hi TOM, I must have looked into that donor at some point but I'm not using him, he's not on our top 10 list anymore if he was there. Good luck with him tho, hope he has great swimmers!!!

That seems like a quick jumpt to IVF after 3 IUIs! I've read a lot of people go for 6, 7 or more IUI trys before they switch to that route. I'm sure you'll have a great result, IVF is supposed to be more successful than IUIs!

Last day of clomid was yesterday. Lots of mini hot flashes and headaches this time. Kinda glad that part is over! Wednesday is the big day for our US! If I go on day 14 again, it will fall on Sunday, the Lord's day, and GOD WILLING it's gonna work this time!!!!
  • Options
    Oh, I just looked @ 12235 and if I posted anything on him it musta been a typo. He's O+ and I only looked at RH- donors...
  • Options
    Tommie/Natalie, are you guys takin' a break cycle for sure or are you guys right back in it with us?
  • Options
    Hey M, ya know, you said that your dr doesn't give you any suppository progesterone nor does he draw blood! You need to ask him about that!!!!!! One of the reasons people m/c is because their progesterone levels drop! That's what we had done the friday after we inseminated, got our progesterone levels drawn, if they were too low we were to start taking the suppository pills or there is a cream also. Definitely need to ask about that, no sense in going through all this if something so simple to fix is causing you to m/c all because it isn't being checked.

TOM, we looked into 12335 earlier but decided on 12224 instead. And isn't IVF like 20k or something outrageous like that? i hope your insurance helps pay for it, ours doesn't cover any reproduction services...

Oh and M, text me or email me....
  • Options
    Sheesh, I haven't taken clomid in a couple days now and I'm still having hot flashes and headaches! It sure is lingering in my system this time around! If this is a peek at what menopause is gonna be like, it's totally gonna suck! LOL I'm not tired any more so that's a plus I guess...

Had my US tonight and it's offical, we're gonna have twins! LOL I had two big follies 18 and 19 just on cd10! They were both in the same ovary right next to eachother. My lining was good too. IUI scheduled for Saturday morning which is actually cd13 instead of 14 this time because they're closed on Sundays. The follies are big enough, early enough, that we upped it a day. I trigger tomorrow night. We're right back in it again!!! Getting excited!

I asked how I could improve my chances since this was try #4 and RE suggested a variety of things for next time, all my choice of course (or my checkbook's choice). He said I could switch to injectables which will definitely increase my chances, increases multiples risk, but increases my overall chances of success. He said the drugs will run about $800 per attempt. Suggested back to back IUIs to cover the entire window of opportunity each time. IVF is an option, not one I can afford, but an option nonetheless. He also suggested a hybrid cycle where I stay on clomid but add part of an injectable plan as well. He thought that would be most cost efficient. The only thing I've ruled completely out is IVF, I just don't have that kind of money right now. That could end up $30k or more when we're all said and done... I'm leaning toward the hybrid cycle but my partner won't let me use the injectables until we research the drugs, side effects etc.

I know I've said this every time, but I feel good about this try. My follies are larger than in the past and it just feels right. I've got a new donor and a fresh start. After all, what good does it do to NOT be positive about it?!? Saturday's our day. Gonna relax all day, as much as I can in bed, hips elevated, being waited on hand and foot! IUI day is always a nice day for quality time spent with the one I love. This is it, we're gonna have twins, I can just feel it! :)