Options

my secret

I'm 43, divorced/single, female who has made a firm decision to become a single mother by artificial insemination. My first IVF appointment is on October 9th and is with a physician's assistant.

I want to be prepared and informed but I don't know the who, what, where, when and how of this process. In other words, who should I be speaking to-a nurse? a doctor?-and when, what questions should I be asking, where do I go for more information, when will insemination begin and how can I find support/chat rooms of other single females. I would also like to meet a single mothers by choice group in massachusetts. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Google Single Mothers by Choice. They have a website and huge network of people just like you (and me) who are single moms- some of their own choosing others by circumstance.

Are you doing inseminations to start or are you going straight to invitro fertilization? I was 36 when I started trying and got lucky and got pregnant very quickly on the second interuterine insemination.

There's a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility that I found to be a useful resource to learn about the female cycle and pregnancy. There is a good website with very active bulletin boards- including an infertility board- called fertilethoughts.com. That site has been a huge resource to me during my trying to conceive phase and now during my pregnancy.

Good luck! I would imagine you'll see the actual Dr on the first visit. My first visit was a bit like an annual exam with more questions about my history and some discussion of how the process would start. My first IUI was done by my Ob, but only because it was time and there were no nurse practitioners available. The second IUI was done by an NP.
  • Options
    Hi, Congrats on your little one!

The clinic i will be going to is called Boston IVF and it is there I will see a PA.

I called them with my concerns yesterday and the receptionist suggested to see an ob/gyn 1st since i will need one anyway and they can answer some or all of my questions and also perform some of the necessary dx testing. My appointment with the ob is on October 3rd, this Friday.

I want this process to be cost effective so I believe i will begin IUI 1st.

I found this info helpful

Info about the process: http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/iui.html

Charting For Pregnancy Achievement

http://www.webwomb.com/

BBT Chart
    www.4woman.gov/pregnancy/tools/bbt-chart-blank.pdf