Options

I'm 35, 100mg Clomid & First IUI with #2389

Wow - what an exciting day, today we had our first IUI with donor #2389. I'm so excited but trying hard not to put too much stock in getting pregnant on the first time. I read such mixed results on the posts... those fortunate to get preg on first try vs. those on their 7th and 8th attempts. I've been trying to just relax and rest today but can't help from think about every little thing I feel inside.

Anyone else experience little twinges inside on the day of the IUI?
Anyone else get preg first time, age 35, using 100 mg clomid day 5-7 with IUI?
Anyone use Donor #2389?

Thanks in advance for any feedback and comments!

Comments

• Options
    Congratulations! You have officially begun the process to fulfill your dreams - having a baby!

You can join the rest of us that are bonding together because we are going through something most people never have to think about in their lives.

It is an exciting time for all of us! Unfortunately, I am one that is on my 2-week wait from my 7th IUI. It is still exciting and I know my time will come - I just have to be patient. When the right egg & sperm meet, that will be the baby I was chosen to have.

Of course, you have to be realistic & know that your chances of getting pregnant on your 1st time is not high, but hey, dream BIG! It could happen!

To answer your question, I have always felt "something" on my insemination days - but it is expected that you will have some very mild cramping from the sperm being placed directly into the uterus.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    kimi723 - Thank you.. We are crazy, we went to Target tonight and just went silly in the baby section - we definitely will have a child in our life at sometime and some place, although I'm super optimistic that it worked today. The indigestion this afternoon has been insane. Have you read some of the stories from www.twoweekwait.com I just smile and take it all in, knowing that I can't get too excited...

Good luck to you.. when did you have your most recent IUI? You are incredibly gentle spirited for having done it 7 times already. My sister tried with her DH for over 2 years so I lived with her through some of the disappointing times. That actually prompted me to start reading early about fertility and I just fell in love with the book - The new essential guide to Lesbian conception, Pregnancy & Birth. The past few months I really tried to do a lot of the tips on fertility enhancement.

I know it takes so much more than that so I've already told myself we are looking at minimum of 3-4 IUI's before I let myself get down.. probably easier said than done I'm sure.

I wish you lots of luck. BTW - where are you located? We're in Memphis, TN.
  • Options
    Shannon,

Our last IUI was this past Monday 11/17. We go in for blood tet on 12/1. Our 1st IUI was in March. Then each month we had 1 IUI until August when I did get pregnant. That was an AMAZING day!! Unfortunately, that pregnancy did result in a miscarriage. Miscarriage with 1st pregnancies is way more common that I ever knew. IT was a really hard time for us, but especially for me. I know it effected my partner too, but it didn't hit her as hard as it did me - I guess it's different when it is your body.

If you haven't been on to babycenter.com, I recommend it. If you go into the "pregnancy" header there are detailed accounts & pics of fertilization, implantation, and each week of the pregnancy. You can also use the calendar to see when the baby will be due. If you register with your due date, they will send you an email every few days showing where you are at & what the "baby" looks like at that point. Very fun to see, but after 4-5 IUIs I eventually canceled the emails - it just got too hard getting the same email over and over again with each new cycle!

This is a big emotional roller coaster - getting disappointed when you get a "negative" test, but then getting really excited because fortunately your preparing for the next IUI in ~2 weeks!

Thanks for the book recommendation! I will definitely try to find it this weekend.

BTW we are in Dallas, Tx.

Best Wishes! I'll be thinking of you, especially since your TWW ends only 3 days after mine!
  • Options
    kimi,
    Thank you so much for the info.. it's really great to have someone else going through the same situation to talk with. My partner is wonderful but as you say, it's different when it's your body.

I know that reality is it will take several tries but I'm I believe so much in positive thinking that I can't think anything other than I am pregnant right now... I do worry about m/c and bless you for working through that.

Thanks for the idea on babycenter.... For some reason I didn't even think of that one, although I look at it to learn about where my sister is. You will really enjoy the book... if you can't find it at a store, amazon is where I ordered from... plus I was interested in ordering children's books with two moms, although I wasn't as impressed with those. Think I'll just write our own using photo books from shutterfly.com.

My email is srhodes803@gmail.com I would love to hear how things go for you on 12/1.. Will keep you in our thoughts and prayers for a BFP! I'm headed to baby center now... have to look up indigestion... oh my it's been crazy today! Best wishes to you too!
  • Options
    Hi Shannon & Kim,

I just read through your converstations back and forth to each other-- both are very interesting. My partner just had her first IUI with donor #11331 on 11/18 so we're 1 day behind Kim & her partner. Shannon-- to answer your question about the twinges, Sara (my partner) had twinges but like Kim had said-- that's normal with IUI on the first day. Sara is like you, Shannon, she's very positive and keeps saying she's pregnant. She told me the other night that she knows if she's pregnant or not because she knows how her body feels normally and what's outside of the norm. She says by the way her body is reacting that she feels she is pregnant. But... we still don't want to get all "hyped" and then be let down. Hopefully her body is sending her all of the right signals. We have been online constantly reading "early signs"... some women know right away if they're pregnant. Some women get signs as early as 2-3 days after conception and Sara believes she's been having some. She has been having stomach pains (but says they're not unbearable), headaches, cramping, etc. We've read these all to be some early signs, so basically we're keeping our fingers crossed. Sara also has been going to an acupunturist for the last couple of months (she was involved in a pretty bad car accident back in May and started to see him in result to that). He has been doing treatments on her to increase the blood flow to her stomach which increases your chances of conceiving. Sara also went to go see him the morning of the IUI right before and he did a treatment on her which he said will increase her chances of conception by 50%... so we're keeping our fingers crossed that that theroy holds true. Anyways... I wish you both the best of luck and hopefully we can keep in touch so we can all find out everyone's results soon? It is good to have someone to relate to like Kim said.

Oh and Shannon-- Sara & I are located in Nashville. So we're not too far from you.

Again, good luck to you both. =)

~Ashley
  • Options
    Ashley & Sara -
    It's been amazing listening to my body... I understand exactly what Sara is saying and I know that's crazy because it's only Day 3... but there's just so much going on that lends me to believe it worked. None of my "signs" have been even close to painful or even discomforting - well unless you count the incredible indigestion that does not seem to go away.

I really considered an acupuncturist but just didn't make the time to go. (We took our 13 year old golden retriever for the past 6 months and she's running now when before she had problems walking... so I absolutely believe in it) I do practice mediation and yoga and that was part of our preparation before IUI.

I had some spotting this evening but I've been reading that spotting during this time is expected. Did Sara spot?

Best of luck to you both, I know your excitement and please let me know when you find out. My email is in the post above. - oh BTW will Sara continue acupuncture if pregnant?
  • Options
    Shannon & Ashley,

Even being on my 7th IUI, I still know that being positive is the only way that I can make it through this with my sanity!

A few times after my cycle would start, I'd think, "I kinda of knew that it would be negative", but the one time that I did get pregnant, I really had NO symptoms other that sore breasts, which I get before my cycle starts anyway... Probably why it completely surprised me!!

The only symptom that I can say that I am having now is frequent urination. But I did not experience that last time.

A few of our close friends know about our plans, but I have not told my family. When I first started this, I thought I'd be able to tell my mom on Mother's Day. We kind of missed that mark! She always "hints" that we need to have a baby, so it'd be great to be able to tell her for Christmas!

I'm trying to stay optimistic! This would be a WONDERFUL Christmas for all of us!
  • Options
    Shannon & Kimi,

First to Shannon- Sara did spot the first day right after the procedure but not at all after that, but I have heard that it is normal.
    We have started to get into meditation and yoga.. we find it all to be so interesting. Sara plans to continue going to the acupunturist while pregnant. Since she already has lower back problems I told her it would probably be in her best interest if she continues to get treatments so she doesn't end up on bed rest or anything like that. That's amazing about your dog, I never even thought to take an animal to an acupunturist, that's good to know.

Kimi- I know staying positive is all any of us can do right now. We've been keeping our fingers crossed and praying a lot... I feel it's all in Gods hands and if it's meant to be, it will be. My parents and Sara's parents know... Sara's mom was actually there on the day of IUI. I keep thinking that the only Christmas gift I want is for Sara to be pregnant... so it would be a wonderful Christmas for all of us.

I plan to keep in touch with you both and I will let you know our results and hope to find out both of yours as well. Sara's e-mail address is teenessing@msn.com

-Ashley
  • Options
    Hey all you great positive people,

Good luck to all of you!! My partner and I had our first IUI on Nov 1, but got a negative on the pregnancy test. I thought for SURE I was pregnant. I am a runner and am very intuitive about my body.... I even had what appeared to be morning sickness on Day 10-12 after insemination. My family thought I was pregnant. I did acupuncture treatment as well. It was really a shock to get the negative results. So then we planned to start over again immediately, stimulating with clomid and the HCG trigger shot .... however, when we went to do the baseline, it showed that I have a cyst on my ovary!!! UGH!!! I was in tears of course, but the doctor said it is extremely common especially when you stimulate with clomid. So I had to cancel the insemination and meds this month. We will go back on 12/12 to check the cyst... if it is gone, then I will start the meds again when my cycle starts (on 12/16 or 12/17). If it is still there, then I have to have this procedure done... vaginal aspiration to drain the cyst. Either way, we will be inseminating on my next cycle. So we are looking at inseminating around 12/29 or 12/30 and taking a pregnancy test around 1/15. It sucks to wait, huh? The 2 week wait on the pregnancy test was SO hard, but it is worth the wait. I really, really hope that you all three get positive results and will keep you all in my thoughts. We are located in Houston, Texas.

Take care and baby vibes to all of y'all!!!

Kathy
  • Options
    Hi Kathy,

I'm sorry to hear about the experience you had but I'm glad to see you are remaining positive! Good luck with everything... I know the waiting and anxiousness can be nerve racking. I had a cyst on my ovaries a couple of years ago-- I wasn't trying to get pregnant at the time but I know how it feels. Mine went away after a few days-- hopefully, you'll have the same happen to you. Good luck on your next insemination date, I wish you the best of luck and please, keep all of us informed! Baby dust to you =)

~Ashley
  • Options
    thanks for everyone joining in this post! When I turn my computer on this is the first one I look for!

Kimi- Being optimistic for Christmas is awesome and I'm 100% with you. We actually told our families together. We're very fortunate to have parents that are happy to see us together. We were so nervous but Vickie made this awesome power point document... I know it sounds crazy but we had a handout for each family member and just went through it all.

We knew they would have questions about the donor and the cryobank and we wanted them to be comfortable with our decision so we shared with them about how the cryobank only selects 9 out of a 1000 prospective donors.. etc... (would be glad to share the document... ha) It was scary but so glad we did it because they are so supportive!!!

Ashley - I'm assuming any acupuncturist would know what to do if you tell them you are looking to get pregnant. I have a bulging disc in my back and dr. recommended yoga, pilates, etc but I think I'd like to add acupuncture. I'll email on that separately!

Kathy - Houston, wow- I used to live there 3 years ago before moving to Memphis. Lived in Montrose and loved it! Sorry for the delay... That's got to be a huge bummer... Interesting though that they postponed due to cyst.... because when they did the vag u/s on me they found about 1/2 dozen cysts in each ovary. They also found a couple follicles at 18.4mm about 5 days before ovulating. Cysts they think are due to clomid.. but they never once mentioned to cancel....hmmmm Here's hoping that it resolves itself!

thanks everyone and please keep sharing the positive thoughts and kum-ba-ya feelings to help us all get through this time!
  • Options
    Good morning all,

Whew!! I've made it past the 1st week of waiting... I'm now counting down the days til we hear something next Monday!!

Funny how the doctors all do something different. I also had a cyst last month (October). Since we didn't inseminate the prior month, my doc did not do a day 3 sono prior to me starting Clomid. When I went in for my day 10 sono they discovered a "follicle" at 25mm. They called it was a cyst from a previous follicle that did not erupt. Just to be sure they had me do LH surge kits for the next couple of days. They felt that if it was a good follicle, my body would surge naturally. Well it didn't, so we canceled the insemination. It was very frustrating... Luckily the cyct was gone this cycle & we got to proceed with the IUI this month.

My thoughts are this... I can handle the "negatives" that I have been getting each month, as long as I know that we are moving forward & pushing on. What has been hardest for me are the months that I couldn't do an insemination (the month after the m/c & the month they discovered the cyst).

7 more days to go!!! Hopefully the distraction of Thanksgiving will help this week pass quickly.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...
    ~Kimberly
  • Options
    Kimberly,

You can do it!! It's almost here. Focus on Thanksgiving!! YOU CAN, YOU CAN, YOU CAN!!!!

Baby thoughts and dust to you!! Happy Thanksgiving!

Kathy
  • Options
    Hi ladies,

This is the first thing I look for when I turn my comptuer on also =) I enjoy hearing from all of you. Hopefully Thanksgiving does make this time past by fast!! I guess we all kind of did this at a good time so we have some distraction in our lives! I have my fingers crossed for everyone. I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving & be safe! =) We can all do it!!

~Ashley
  • Options
    Hello -

uggh, can't believe I missed a day of adding to our post... what a bad combination of items we had for dinner last night.. shrimp as an appetizer then, ham and dressing with potatoes for dinner... well the shrimp and ham did not set well with me. My girlfriend joked that I was trying to claim morning sickness.. well that didn't set well with me... although I clearly se today that she was just being funny... it did not appear that way yesterday and I just sobbed thinking.... Why doesn't she believe what is happening to my body?

Today I realize that I was completely - 100% overly sensitive but at the time it was so real... My girlfriend and I have a great relationship and she absolutely treats me incredible... so how did that happen so quickly?

Soooo... has anyone been all happy and nice one day, then totally flip and be maybe not so nice to the girlfriend then next, then flip back to happy, peaceful and serene?

I just want to add - AMEN to Thank goodness for thanksgiving! I'm sure all the family gatherings and dysfunctions we keep us distracted...

Last thing - I have been reading stories on twoweekwait.com and I see some are testing at day 10 and getting positive results... we're thinking maybe we will test on Sunday? Anyone else testing earlier than day 14?
  • Options
    Hello everyone!

Shannon - I completely empathize! I don't know what happened to me on Saturday, but I was on a war path! My poor partner... luckily she survived the day. I kept telling myself to "chill out" but it seemed like every time I opened my mouth I was fussing about something. Then Sunday - the world was perfect again! Later Sunday night we were watching a TV show where the woman was pregnant & was having awful mood swings. I told my partner, "Please don't be scared! I'll try to be better!" She then jokingly told me that she knows it worked this time, because I am definitely having "issues"!

If I'm not pregnant, then I guess I can only blame it on the stress...

I don't plan on testing early. I go in for my blood test on Monday & figure I can wait until then. The month I did get preg, I took the tests early & they were negative. I don't think I got a positive unil day 14 or 15... Who knows though - I may break down over the weekend & go buy a test!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I for one know that I have a LOT to be thankful for - most especially my GFs patience with me!!
  • Options
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Thinking about you guys and wishing you the best news over the next few days!!

Kathy in Houston
  • Options
    Hi ladies! =)

It's been a while since I've gotten on here, been busy.

As far as the "mood swings"... Sara's been having some serious ones lately lol. We were suppose to go to her mom's in AL for Thanksgiving and I think her mom said something to upset her...... so to make a long story short, we ended up staying here and I made lasagna and we watched movies. Now being from NJ and a true Italian, I make some damn good lasagna I must say-- and Sara discovered she loves to put salsa on it now... hmmmmmmm... disgusting. LOL but interesting. Also, I forget if I told you all this yet or not but Sara loves, loves, loves onions... almost on anything, she can't eat them now and don't even let me mention bolagna or eat it within a mile from her... she wants to throw up. I don't know... we really think she's pregnant but we'll see! Still keeping out fingers crossed! I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving... we all have just a few more days!!! Please let me know asap! Good luck =)
  • Options
    Hi everyone, hope you had a great Thanksgiving... Lasagna does sound good, but then everything is sounding good right now! I had WAY too much to eat the past two days and added some serious bloating to my already bloated body!

So I had this idea a couple days ago... create a blog for all of us, same sex couples TTC to allow us to stay connected - as a back up & in addition to the cryobank chat. I thought we could try it with our group and add to it, then invite some others from the same sex chat room! What do you think?

Take a look -
    http://cryobankfriends.blogspot.com/

Let me know what you think!
  • Options
    Great idea Shannon! I already left a comment.

I am very bummed today. Basically, I go in for blood work on Monday & can't say that there is anything that makes me think it's gonna be positive. I keep waiting for my breasts to be REALLY sore (which is the only real sympton I had last time) but it just hasn't happened. I have been keeping a journal since I began this journey & realized that last time I didn't actually get a "positive" test until 17 days after the IUI, so there is no point of testing early for me. I think it would just make me more bummed to see the "not pregnant" on the stick...

Sigh... I really hate being in a funk.

Hope everyone else is having a better weekend! We'll see how next week goes for all of us!

Kimberly
  • Options
    Great idea Shannon! I already left a comment.

I am very bummed today. Basically, I go in for blood work on Monday & can't say that there is anything that makes me think it's gonna be positive. I keep waiting for my breasts to be REALLY sore (which is the only real sympton I had last time) but it just hasn't happened. I have been keeping a journal since I began this journey & realized that last time I didn't actually get a "positive" test until 17 days after the IUI, so there is no point of testing early for me. I think it would just make me more bummed to see the "not pregnant" on the stick...

Sigh... I really hate being in a funk.

Hope everyone else is having a better weekend! We'll see how next week goes for all of us!

Kimberly
  • Options
    Sorry for the double post, I didn't realize it had turned over to page 2 so I "resent".

~K~
  • Options
    Hey everyone... Just wanted to let you know that we gave in and tested early last night... 4 days early with the clear blue easy digital test... AND

it said PREGNANT.... we are sooo excited.. I went for first HCG bloodwork today and we go for second one on Wednesday with results on Friday!

We plan to be super careful, barely any caffiene and watch all activity with hopes that it stays intact!

I wish you all the same result! Baby Dust everywhere!
  • Options
    Oh, I just found the page 2 as well! ha... Did you get your bloodwork results? They just called with mine!
  • Options
    Shannon-- Congrats!!!! I'm so so so happy for you and your partner. =) what did your bloodtest results say?
  • Options
    Sara and Ashley,

Did y'all find out yet?? I have been thinking about you both!!

Shannon: yes, what did they say regarding your bloodwork?

Kimberly: I have a friend that got pregnant on her second IVF after having 4 unsuccessful IUI cycles.... she told me that she had symptoms when she was NOT pregnant and didn't have any when she actually was!! So try to relax and stay positive!! I know it is hard.
  • Options
    The progesterone is 38.7 and the HCG is 28.... she said that the progesterone level was really good and that means I don't need to take progesterone suppositories - I was SUPER happy about that!

Then she said the hcg level was low but that didn't matter because all that means now is that we were early on in the pregnancy and the most important thing is that the hcg levels double when we do the blood test tomorrow. They will call on Thursday with the results so I can share again then!

This is so exciting! I'm so glad I have you all to share this time with!
  • Options
    Shannon,

Holy Cow!! Congratulations!! What an exciting time for you both! I wish you the best of luck!

Well, I was supposed to go in Monday & get my blood work drawn, but unfortunately, that B*tch AF showed up early Monday morning... 5 days early! I am supposed to go in tomorrow morning for my day 3 sono to make sure I am clear to begin my clomid again. I have some family emergencies going on - a very close cousin is very sick. My partner & I are thinking of skipping this cycle & just taking the time to be with my family since this is a difficult time for us right now. I hate to skip the month, but I don't think the added stress will be condusive to "baby making" anyway. I guess when I wake up in the morning, I'll know what I'm gonna do.

Either way, looks like IUI #8 will be in our near future... My doctor did remind me that since I got pregnant but miscarried with my 6th attempt, I need to look at this one as #1 again, NOT #7.

I will be keeping the rest of you in my thoughts & prayers as you come to the end of your TWWs.
  • Options
    Kimi-
    so bummed for you! I am sure it's hard to put aside for a month but maybe it's good for your body? Especially if you have been on clomid each time or a portion of the time? I know it's crazy... but I really do believe in a lot of the items in the book where it talks about a fertile lifestyle... One thing was raspberries and I literally ate them every night the month before...

I also drank this hot tea from whole foods it was supposed to be good for toning your uterus... it's actually called Female toner... It didn't taste bad.. mostly like berry's

Whatever you decide... Your in my thoughts and prayers and we wish you best of luck with IUI #1! :)
  • Options
    Shannon,

Thanks for the great tips, mommy-to-be!! :)