Options

8th IUI new donor - 11443

My partner and I are on our 8th IUI. This will be our first time with donor # 11443. We previously had a mc in June with a different donor from another bank.

This is the second round on 50mg of Clomid with no monitoring or trigger. We were advised 3 rounds with Clomid then on to injections.

Anyone else have success with 11443? Any concerns with Jewish religion? We are not positive of whether he is Jewish descent as well??

Thanks for any answers, we are getting discouraged.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Kinohio~

I feel your pain! My partner & I are on our 7th IUI. We had 1 miscarriage in September (after the 6th IUI). We have been using Clomig & Ovidrel (trigger shot) since the 4th cycle.

We moved on to our new donor with this 7th IUI which was this past Monday. Hopefully we will have better luck, but it's hard not to get discouraged when you hear of sooo many people getting pregnant afer their 1st or 2nd attempt.

We just gotta hang in there & know that one day our time will come too!

Best of luck to you!
  • Options
    Thanks! Where are you located? We are in Ohio and our doctor is super "careful." She is always quoting studies as to why we should not use a trigger shot or why things aren't working.
  • Options
    Hi Kinohio-

I am interested to know why your doctor thinks you should not trigger? I ask because it seems like most all women who go through IUI with Clomid are being monitored with ultrasounds and trigger, but my doctor also doesn't do monitoring with Clomid, just injectibles. We got pregnant right away with our daughter, but now our donor retired and we have limited vials, so I'm thinking we may try to be more aggressive, i.e. Clomid, even though I have no known fertility issues.
  • Options
    Kinohio,

We are in Dallas. The fertility clinic we use is affiliated with the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, so I feel very fortunate to have doctors that practice along current research guidelines. Also, my doctor is extremely pro-active to what the patient's wants & needs are. She gives all of the options available, states the pros & cons of each, & then lets us decide which path is right for us.

mrandmrswhite,

Our doctor gave us the option of using clomid without the trigger shot. We would have just done the OTC ovulation detection kits to see when ovulation was taking place. Our first 3 IUIs were completely medication free (all unsuccessful), so when we moved on to a move aggresive approach we figured we'd go with both. I also have no known fertility issues other than being advanced maternal age (37), which is why we tried to go med-free at first.

Best of Luck to you all!
  • Options
    My doctor's reasoning for no trigger shot was that "studies show there is no real statistical difference in success rates of those that use a trigger shot and those that use OV Kits." I find it a bit strange.

She does use trigger shots and u/s when she uses injectables. I am hoping not to need that step. We are set to inseminate this weekend and hoping it works. If not we are getting an hsg? test for the next cycle to rule out any issues with tubes etc.

The waiting is so hard!
  • Options
    Kinohio,

After our miscarriage, my doctor did an vaginal sono, injecting sterile water into the uterus to check for problems. Was similar to the HSG, but less invasive. Apparently it is something new they are doing... It is not quite as good as the HSG but close. It only looks at the uterus & not the tubes, but my doctor felt comfortable that my tubes were clear since I did manage to get pregnant the month before. I opted for that route instead of the HSG since it could be done in the doctor's office. It was quite intense with the worst cramping I've ever felt in my life, but it only lasted for a few minutes. The nurse told me that some patients think the "water sono" is worse, some say the HSG is worse.

I'm not trying to scare you, just prepare you some because I really didn't think it would really be a big deal. I ended up taking the rest of the day off work, but I easily could have gone in afterwards. There was no lingering pain or cramping afterwards.

I did have HUGE peace of mind knowing my results were clear though - I think in the back of my mind I always wondered "but what if there is something wrong that I don't know about"?

Best wishes for a successful IUI this weekend!! Maybe we'll both get wonderful Christmas presents this year!! (Or Hannukah - I'm not sure if your Jewish or not since you mentioned a Jewish donor).
  • Options
    Hey Kimi..

Yes we are set to go tomorrow. The LH surge appears to have come today. We are both glad it is on a Saturday. Over the last 8 months this is only our 2nd one on a weekend. We are both very hopeful.

We are not Jewish, just really liked what the donor said and did not care about the religion.

It would certainly be the best xmas gift ever! I wish the same for you!
  • Options
    Kinohio,

How did things go yesterday??

My partner & I have been fortunate that several of our inseminations have been on Saturdays. Just lucky timing, I guess. It's nice not to have to worry about conflicting work schedules!

Best of luck for a speedy & stressfree TWW! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Kimberly
  • Options
    Kimberly,
    Thanks so much!!!! It was an eventful day for sure. We took the future Godmother with us, and went shopping afterward. We were determined not to focus on it all day long. The nurses swear that maintaining routine after the insemination is fine because they are already in the tubes shortly after insemination.

It was a nice way to spend the afternoon. We have never done that before. My confidence is certainly minimal but I don't say much out loud. Our surge happened on Friday (very dark line) and then inseminated at 8:30 on Saturday. Timing is the whole thing.. sperm with limited life.. etc!

What do you use for determining LH surge? Part of me wishes they would monitor and give a trigger shot just to have more control over the time issue, but our doctor swears it makes little difference.
  • Options
    Kinohio,

I'm glad you spend the day having fun & enjoying yourselves. I agree that staying stress free can only help your chances. I have never tried to go into work after one of my IUIs. I always take the full day off & spent it either laying around the house having a lazy day or a few times my parter & I have been out running around and just acting like nothing happened.

Since we have been doing the monitoring & trigger, we stopped doing the LH surge kits. We just go by the size of the follicles on the sono to determine when to give the trigger, then schedule IUI 36 hrs after that.

Do you do the OTC pregnancy kits or does your doctor do the blood tests? I have always done the pregnancy test from the store, but my doctor's office has changed their practice & now wants me to come in for blood work instead.

~Kimberly
  • Options
    Kimberly,
    We use the at home pregnancy tests. When we did test positive in June, we did follow up with a blood test.

I am just frustrated by the LH surge kits. It seems like we do everything right and see the dark line.. go in 16 hours later and get inseminated and still nothing!

It seems if they are doing u/s and a trigger you would have much more control over the timing and still no success??? Very frustrating.

As you can tell.. I'm losing my energy to be positive.
  • Options
    Kinohio~

Sorry your feeling down about everything. I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster most of the time with good days & bad. It is hard to stay positive, especially when you don't want to get "too excited" since we know that awful feeling of finding out it didn't work... again.

I am really hoping that it worked this time (of course), but then I wonder when I'll allow myself to breathe easy since I'll be worried about another m/c.

Hopefully today you are feeling better. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving weekend. We could all use the distraction!

~Kimberly
  • Options
    My partner and I used donor 11443 on the 24th and are in the waiting game. We miscarried and lost an ovary back in June and are hoping this works out for us this time around. It is our first IUI as I have done at home insem the last few times. Our on was conceived this was and we were hoping for the same results. I will keep you posted and see what happens. Did you purchase ICI or IUI vials?
    Kim
  • Options
    Kinohio~

Just checking to see how you fared over the long holiday weekend. I go in Monday for blood work & am beginning to lose faith that this is gonna happen. I know I need to stay positive, but I'm just so convinced that I'm gonna get a BFN again...

Kim~ Sorry to hear about your unfortunate loss. Guess several of us went through that. It's very difficult to go through that. Hopefully you & Kinohio will both get positives. That would really be great to bond with someone that used the same donor. I've never put it out there as a question, but I haven't run across anyone that has used our donor. Well actually we found someone that used our 1st donor, but it didn't work out so we are using a new guy this time.

Anyway, hope you all have had a more positive weekend! We'll see what happens this week.

~Kimberly
  • Options
    Kimberly,
    The distraction of the holiday has been good for both of us, but reality hits tomorrow when work starts. We are in the final week of our 2 weeks, and are looking for the smallest of signs.

The period is set to arrive on Friday or Saturday. Oddly enough, there is always some sense of "relief" when we find out because then we know where we stand. The devastation is horrible each time, but it takes the guessing out when Aunt Flo does return.

The hardest part is the financial part. I know that should not be the focus, but when thinking of how much each time cost, it makes me very bitter at heterosexuals who endure no cost for their efforts.

Good luck with your visit tomorrow. We are hoping for the best!!!

Kelly
  • Options
    Kelly,

In answer to your other post, all my RE said was that our donor had 11.4 million sperm in sample. I go in tommorow morning for my prog test, hopefully it will be high enough to say I have ovulated--I hope for the both of us we will get a BFP. I'll keep you posted.

Kim
  • Options
    Kimberly,
    How did your blood work go? We are waiting till' Friday to do an at home test. It is frustrating to wait and of course every "symptom" seems hopeful.
  • Options
    Hi Kinohio~

Well, it's another BFN... I was really bummed, b/c I think I convinced myself it would happen this time. Low and behold I started my cycle Monday morning, so I never went in for the test.

We are gonna skip my December cycle. I have a very close cousin that has become very sick. I know the added stress won't be good for me & I really want to be there for my family as much as possible (they live about 2 1/2 hrs from me).

Looks like we'll be doing #8 in January! My doctor's office keeps reminding me that we need to look at January as #2 not #8 since it will only be the 2nd once since the miscarriage...

I'll still keeping my fingers crossed for you!! Please let me know what you find out this weekend!
  • Options
    Yea... Seems like the same ol' here too. The boobs are full like period boobs and scheduled to start on Friday or Saturday. It is so hard to stay positive. If this cycle does not work, then comes the HCG (c/s) test, then injectables. Personally I would rather go straight to IVF for the high odds. The doctors goes on and on about the danger of IVF and that is why they try all other possibilities. Doesn't make it any easier here.

So sorry to hear about your cousin and your BFN. At what point would you go to injectables/IVF?
  • Options
    I hope you get a BFP tommorow. We will test on Monday at the doctor and see. My progesterone level was good but that means nothing, or so I have read on the net. Good luck!

Kim
  • Options
    My partner started her P today. Very stressful as every other month!
  • Options
    Why does your doctor say there is danger associated with IVF? You are actually less likely to get pregnant with high order multiples with IVF than with injectibles and IUI.
  • Options
    Yep-- No go for us this time either--started this AM ---sucks
  • Options
    So sorry you started your period!!! We are in the same boat (unfortunately). We are going for the HSG test on the 15th.

The nurses had a long drawn out explanation as to why IVF is dangerous. Although, I too think injectables are far more "dangerous" due to the lack of monitoring.
  • Options
    I am suppose to go for a preg test on Monday but I feel as if there is no need to do so. I really wonder if I should change donors since my sample only had 11.4 million and doctor likes to see close to 20. Do you know what your sample had?
  • Options
    I have no idea. My RE does not tell us. Maybe our situation is unique.. We get inseminated by the RE nurses every time. We never get information about the exact counts, they simple thaw and view the sample and say whether or not it is "good enough." I would love to know the counts. I do know another posts (she used the same donor we use) said his counts were pretty high, but I don't know the exact number.

What donor are you using now?
  • Options
    I am using 11443 as well. You and I are on the exact cycle it seems. I would love to know why IUI is not successful so I can change anything that I have control of. I guess I am just very frustrated because I used to be very fertile before my last miscarriage in June. Now I am struggling to succeed. It has been 3 months in a row with no success.

Kim
  • Options
    We are on our 4th attempt after the m/s. It is very frustrating! Yes, it sounds like we are on the same path. So, your RE said 11443 had a count of 10 million? I don't know, but I think it is just hit or miss with sperm counts. Yes, I could pick someone with a REALLY high count, but is he going to have the characteristics that we are looking for?? With our successful attempt (#4), we continued to use that donor for 3 more attempts with no success.

The whole thing is frustrating. I wish we could just skip and go straight to IVF for the high success rate.
  • Options
    Yes it is frustrated--we will not do IVF and my partner may or may not want to try again. We have not discussed it as I am working today and she is home with our son. He is the result of at home insem.

Our donor had 11.4 million in teh sample
  • Options
    Just curious.. why no IVF? What made you switch to IUI after your successful at home? 11.4 sounds high, but I guess that number is totally relative.

Enjoy your day.