Options

Low post thaw count

Hi, Scott (guessing it'll be you to answer):

I had a failed IUI back in May 2009. When I got the paper work from the andrology lab, it stated that my vial only had 6.3 million versus the 10 million that CCB guarantees the vial to have. So I have two questions:

1. Will I be getting a refund for that vial?

2. I have two other vials in storage here in Chicago from the same donor. If the results are the same when I go for my next IUI, will I be able to obtain a refund for those as well?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Options
    Hi-

Sorry to hear about your situation. Usually low post thaw counts are a result of differing counting technique between labs or the rewashing of an IUI vial. Regardless, please contact Melonee Evans (mevans@cryobank.com). She will work with your physician to determine the specifics of your vials and help with the refund process if necesary. She can also answer any other questions you may have (including your vials in storage).

Best of luck,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Thanks for your response Scott... I've already heard back from Melonee and my paperwork is being processed... she also assured me that if there's a problem with my other two vials that it would be resolved in the same manner.

Thanks CCB answer man!! :)
  • Options
    My pleasure. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Oh, Scott... (me waving my hand) I have another question off this topic...

How can I find out what my donor's attractiveness rating is? He is 11014.

Thanks, hon.
  • Options
    This is an interesting question. Technically speaking, we do not offer attractiveness ratings. This is an internal system developed years ago to be used during the qualifying process. Over time it has been "leaked" to our clients (who of course are interested -- who wouldn't be?).

The reality is that these numbers are now assigned by a single individual from a single picture after a donor has been qualified by a team of coordinators who have all met him and agreed that he is attractive enough to make the "cut". The attractiveness scale is really only meant to help our donor matching consultants differentiate between a selected group of donors a client has picked -- not define a donor's looks against our entire catalog or the general population.

So, the question is, how much stock do you really want to place on one person's opinion of someone's attractiveness who they have never met?

After all that, if you still really need to know, you can contact our Client Services Department for more information.

Good luck,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Hi, Scott:
    Went in for my second IUI today... will let you know how things turn out!!
  • Options
    Good luck!

Scott
  • Options
    Strike two...
  • Options
    I'm sorry. Please keep in mind the average is 3-4 tries per successful pregnancy. I know that doesn't make it any less disappointing, but just know that you are completely within the expected norm.

Let's hope that the third time is the charm!

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Hi Scott: Just to let you know that I had my third IUI yesterday and the motility impressed my doctor: 13 million with 57% motility. So, hoping this time will be the charm as you said!

Will keep you posted CCB answer man.
  • Options
    My fingers are crossed!

Scott
  • Options
    Scott: Well, not this time hon. Don't know if I will try this donor again or move to another. Thanks for crossing your fingers for me... just not meant to be.
  • Options
    Keep the faith. Three unsuccessful tries is not uncommon.

While I don't think changing donors will necessarily increase your chances, it certainly can't hurt either. If you do decide to change, maybe there is a new and even better donor who wasn't available before -- and that is why you haven't been successful yet. It could all be one big silver lining.

All the best,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Scott: Moving on to IVF now... and have a question. Will I now qualify to use the ART vials instead?
  • Options
    HI ualtigger -

Yes. However, you should consult with your physician and varify the vial type he/she would prefer you to use. Also, not all donors have ART vials, so make sure they are availble before making any definite plans.

Not just fingers this time -- I'm crossing my toes (double the luck).

:-)

Scott
  • Options
    Hi Scott:

Decided to take a break for a while... going to be trying again in May just like my first try :-). And decided to stick with "Mark" :-). Hope you still have everything crossed for me.
  • Options
    Also the shipping address for my vials is incorrect. How do I get that changed? I changed RE's since my last attempt. My new A1 form has the correct address on it. Thanks!
  • Options
    Best thing is to call Client Services and have them confirm your new info. They can be reached at 866-927-9622.

Taking a break is sometimes a really good idea. Multiple consecutive attempts tend to get more and more stressful (not to mention expensive). Just relax and give your batteries a chance to recharge.

I'll uncross for a few weeks and save it for May.

All the best,

Scott
  • Options
    Scott: Poor baby... no wonder your hands and feet are numb... I didn't know you still had them crossed for the last THREE months!! :-)

Let you know when you can cross them again!!
  • Options
    I'm ready whenever you are!

;-)
  • Options
    Almost ready for you to make like a pretzel again, Scott. I just ordered "Mark" today... will let you know when!! :-) Hope you enjoyed your conference... bet it was HOT there!!
  • Options
    I'm ready to cross. Just give me the word!

Scott
  • Options
    Spmething to make you chuckle... and I did it by accident... place my first order for "Mark" on the same day last year :-).
  • Options
    Also can you tell me how many pregnancies "Mark" has? I know of one child... a little guy. Thanks!
  • Options
    All limbered up and ready to cross.

Scott
  • Options
    What is his number?

Scott
  • Options
    Sorry... I've been calling him "Mark" for so long, I forgot he HAS one!!:-) It's 11014.
  • Options
    More than 5 pregnancies. Less than 5 births.

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    You can cross again tomorrow, Scott!:-)
  • Options
    I ordered vials and the post-thaw count in each vial is 10 million with only 35% motility. This seems extreamly low and I am concerned because we ordered 10 vials. I am not sure what is normal for post=thaw numbers? Sould I choose another donor?