Options

Motility

Hello. We had previously ordered ici vials and had our RE's lab wash them. The motility was high at 89%. We got pregnant but unfortunately we had an early mc. That donor is no longer available. Our current donor choice only has iui vials available from you. We just had two iuis and the motility from the thawed iui vials were 37% and 47%. I know you guarantee at least 35% motility so that is not in question. My question is why is the number so low? Why wouldn't washed samples be 85% and up? I am considering having my RE's lab wash the sample a second time, but know that results in the loss of healthy sperm. Can you explain why the iui vials would have such low motility if washed by your company? I must be missing something.

Comments

• Options
    Hi A -

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

The 89% motility is unusually high. Motility in the 35-50% range is expected for specimens which have been frozen and thawed.

It's also expected that when a vial is first thawed, the motility will be lower as the sperm come up to body temperature.

We do not recommend washing an IUI vial again as our wash method is using a high quality 90% density gradient method leaving a very pure specimen. Washing will certainly result in a decrease in sperm with no added value.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB