Options

Charting

Ok so I bought a Basal Thermometer over a week ago and my temps are going up and down. What am I doing wrong? It says to take it when your "half asleep"...I am but they are still going up and down. What are some other ways you can chart your ovulation? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you ladies...Good luck and lots of baby dust your way!!

Comments

• Options
    The main thing I found is to take it at the same time everyday... and don't move around much... just enough to get the thermo and stick it in your mouth... I keep mine right next to the bed. Definitely take it BEFORE you get out of bed and after four hours sleep or more gets you the best readings.
  • Options
    Hi there!

First and foremost, I HIGHLY recommend the book "taking charge of your fertility" by Toni Weschler. It is amazing and will have all the info you could ever want to know about charting as well as other fantastic information about conceiving.

Secondly, it's perfectly normal for your temps to go up and down depending on where you are in your cycle. Also, remember that everyone's body is different so don't stress too much.

A few important things about taking your BBT:

- - yes you should take it first thing in the morning. The key is ensuring you've had at least 5 hours of sleep for the night but haven't gotten up to go to the bathroom or whatever 2-3 hours prior to taking your temp. If you can't wait (i.e. you normally get up at 7am and you need to go to the bathroom at 6am) you take your temp at 6am and then add .1 degree onto whatever your waking temp was (i.e. 6am temp was 97.59, you make it 97.69 because 7am is your "typical waking time")

- - always round up/down(i.e. 97.57 = 97.6 & 97.54 = 97.5)

- - drinking alcohol the night before or lack of sleep can definitely affect your temp.

Hope that is all helpful!
    Good luck.
  • Options
    I also found the book "Making Babies" helpful here also. In it they describe the fertility "types" and tell you what works for your specific "type". I have both books and they are worth the money just for the peace of mind you get.
  • Options
    to be quite honest charting the temp was difficult for my partner and i to keep up with as well so we went out and bought a #1 recommended by most OBGYN'S clear blue easy fertility monitor it cost about $180 in CVS, Walmart, Rite Aid, Walgreen and the test sticks were an additional $50 if u can afford it than it can be very helpful when trying to concieve it tracks your info pertaining to your body and it reads the lh levels to tell u exactly which days are your most fertile, the day of your lh surge, and the day of ovulation. You might want to check it out online first b4 you buy just to research. this way you will know if its for you....GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
  • Options
    All of this is just soooo confusing. My wife and I are only going to have the money right now for a one time shot and getting preggo. It almost makes me wonder if I should use my efforts to find a known donor.
  • Options
    Honey, this is a EXERCISE in patience. I hope that you get lucky the first time but, if you've read the posts here, you know sometimes it takes quite a few more tries than that.

And, with a known donor, there is the chance that he might claim paternity to YOUR child... be prepared for that one...
  • Options
    MOM2B if you have a pic of the box the monitor can you send it to my email at rosemarys_daughter1994@yahoo.com

i can't find it online?
  • Options
    I also bought the pricy clearblue fertility mon. and it didnt work for me, come to find out the whole "charting" process was stressing me out and I totally quit ovulating!! I would recommend a deep breath or 2, a low dose of clomid, and a box or 2 of digital clearblue easy sticks to pee on at 8am and 12 noon from day 9 of your cycle untill you get your first smiley face!! After 9 months of trying everything under the sun thats what finally worked for us and now our little Chloe is a healthy,happy 6 1/2 month old!! Good Luck!!
  • Options
    Our RE told us charting was a waste of time and we just needed to trust her. She had us test with the clearblue digital test once a day starting at day 10 until we got the smiley face. Inseminated within 24 hours of smiley face. Took on the second try. Currently 35weeks 2days. Good luck!!
  • Options
    Thanks jala that really helped me calm my nerves that I am doing it wrong. I guess I just need to relax and trust my instincts.
  • Options
    no problem! good luck and keep us posted on your journey!