Options

Medicated IUIs - medication costs

For those of you who had medicated IUIs, what strategies did you use to pay for medication, when it was not covered by your insurance (besides savings, credit cards, etc). Did online pharmacies offer better costs? Drug companies offer discounts or free samples?

Also, what was the general range of cost for your cycle and what did that cover? I'm in NYC, using Aetna Select insurance. While I have infertility coverage, it is a $20k lifetime max and does not cover medications (oral or injectable).

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    My Clinic is in NJ and I was told to exceptct to pay at least $3,000-$5,000 for IVF meds. IUI is cheaper. You should call Precision RX Speciality Soltuions, or Freedom Fertility. Here are there numbers. Precision Rx is 1-800-870-6419 And Freedom Fertility is 1-800-660-4283

Good Luck
  • Options
    IUI was much more affordable than IVF. My insurance pays 50% and my share was over 2,000 for all the IVF drugs/shots... I almost fell over at the cost. I just keep telling myself that this is to become a mom and it will be worth it!!
  • Options
    I am in California, but my RE doc was from NY and she recommended the same pharmacies that JodiAnn has mentioned. If the cost became prohibitive for me.

I actually took my job here (I moved from Alabama) because Kaiser Permanente pays 50% of medical & drugs. I am a native Californian and I have some family still here, but I can't wait to move back east of the Mississippi River.

Good luck with finding a solution. talk to your RE provider and ask them to send your Rx to a low cost pharmacy.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. My RE also gave me a list of pharmacies they use as well. Right now I'm trying to get final confirmation that my insurance will even cover my IUIs. Originally it looked like the would, but now it seems there's a chance that they might not. Supposedly they don't cover infertility in a single woman over the age of 35 until they've had 6 unsuccessful IUIs. I'm loving Aetna less and less as I get further in this process.