Options

Donors with Positive and Negative CMV status

Hello, I have in storage vials of 2 different donors that I havent used yet. One that is CMV positive and other that is CMV negative, and I wanted to know that if when you chose your donor if it mattered to you that your donor was CMV positive or negative? Have you been tested to know what CMV status you are? Cause supposedly if you use a CMV positive donor it is best that YOU are also CMV positive. Did you use a CMV positive donor while YOU being CMV negative? or did you specifically looked for a donor that was CMV negative? Or are both you and the donor CMV postive? Or it just didnt matter to you your donor´s status and your own when choosing a donor? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I chose a donor that was negative, just so I didn't have to worry about getting tested and such.
  • Options
    Hey Butterfly,
    I tested negative, so I was told that I had to have a negative donor. It was a little bit more limiting when it came to decision time.
  • Options
    Thanks for your responses. I´ve been thinking of using my donor with negative CMV, and I´ll change the positve one I have for a negative CMV status donor, its much more limiting that way but I think thats what I´ll do.
  • Options
    Can I ask, what is CMV mean? I had not really heard about this I am ambarrased to say. If you don't know what your are, then are you suppose to get CMV negative? Sorry for my non educated question on this.
  • Options
    I am CMV negative and have used a CMV positive without any problems.
  • Options
    This is so strange. The CCB website says that you can't catch CMV, even from a positive donor (assuming they're not actively positive, and they wouldn't be allowed in the program if they were).

But then why do they list CMV status at all if it isn't a risk? The doctor I spoke to seems to agree. She isn't even planning to test my CMV status, because she said it doesn't matter what it is because there is no risk.

I am confused! I'd rather be safe than sorry, so maybe I will just chose a negative donor...but it still seems strange.
  • Options
    I think its more of a CYA issue. If someone were to have a problem and it came back that they were never told, then there'd be an opening for a lawsuit. I'm negative and had to ask to be tested. My donor is positive and I'm not concerned at all. How many people/couples do you know who've even heard of it? I know none. Only those in the ttc vial donor insem. world know about it.
  • Options
    I'm freaking out because I've ordered 2 vials of CMV positive, and I don't know if I'm positive or negative. I have been reading that there is a small chance of contracting this and passing it on to the fetus, and if that happens, it's potentially really bad.

What I can't find is what the chances of contracting CMV is if you're negative and use positive sperm. I need a percent to make this decision. Is it like a 10% chance of getting it, or like a 1% chance, or even less than that?

Does anyone know this information? I can't find it...

Thanks!
  • Options
    I am not a doctor, and you should speak to yours. However I have a VERY strong opinion on this after research.

CMV is a virus. Most people were exposed to it. Say, like chicken pox. A CMV positive donor is someone who at one point in his life had an active CMV infection, but does not now. Compre it to someone who had chicken pox as a child, but doesn't now.

It is dangerous if a pregnant women gets CMV. If you've already had CMV, you can't get it again (like chicken pox). But if you haven't, then there's a chance you can get it during pregnancy - you could ride the bus and sit next to someone who has it and sneezes, etc.

I fully believe that most informed doctors believe the risk is 0% of catching it from a CMV positive donor who was not actively sick when he donated (all CCB donors were not actively sick). You can't catch chicken pox by having sex with a guy who once had chicken pox when he was 4, and the same is true for CMV. Again, this is my informed opinion, but you should do what your doctor says.

I do not know what I am and am using a CMV positive donor. My doctor doesn't worry at ALL. He says it's impossible.

But here's why people make a big deal about it. Suppose you get CMV during pregnancy because someone with CMV sneezed on you. But you also used a CMV+ donor. You'll think you have some kind of cold. And then you have a baby with birth defect and sue. It's hard for anyone to prove your CMV wasn't contracted from the donor sperm (even though it really wasn't the donor). So everyone is CYA.

I would not worry AT ALL about a CMV+ donor, whether you are CMV-, CMV+, or don't know.
  • Options
    Thank you Riley!
  • Options
    Here is a link about CMV:
    http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/cytomegalovirusinfection.html

My RE tested me as part of my consultation. And because I am negative I was instructed only to use a negative donor. Read the article then you decide what maybe best for you.

:)
    M
  • Options
    My doctor also said I need a negative cmv donor because I am negative.... I feel like we should trust them in that they are trying to be very save... yet the donor I want is positive..actually most of them are. lol. not sure what to do...waiting to see if she will still inseminate with it or if she has a policy against it.
  • Options
    If you are negative and donor sperm is positive then you would just need to get a rhogam (spelling?) shot--its not a big deal.
  • Options
    Scratch my last reply I was mixed up with CMV vs. Rh factor. sorry!