Options

2nd IUI 13337

2nd IUI .... trying not to get to obsessed with the process this time -- though it is hard. All the questions like "is the timing right?" "how long after ovidrel until ovulation?" "how long does the frozen sperm live?" Of course, you can spend hours reading about these things online!

Anyhow, trying to get my mind and body ready and just relax through the wait ....

I am doing acupuncture this time around -- it is great, though quite costly!

Best of luck to anyone else in the 2ww!

Comments

• Options
    Baby dust!
  • Options
    thank you!!
  • Options
    Fingers crossed. I hope this one works for you. I start my 2 go round, hopefully within the next 2 weeks. Wishing you luck and baby dust.
  • Options
    Thanks and good luck to you too!

I'm less nervous this time around .... 2ww doesn't seem as bad. Maybe because I am not expecting it to work since last one was so disappointing ...

I'm not convinced my REI has the timing right, but it's the whole ovidrel thing I don't really trust ...

Couple more tries, then I will move to IVF.

Best of luck to you!!!!
  • Options
    Good luck karin12345. I asked my RE to do the insem at 24 hours after my ovidrel trigger on this last go around as I had a feeling I was ovulating earlier than they thought (they normally do it at 36 hours by the way. He asked lots of questions as to why I thought what I though but agreed to do it this time. My 2ww is slowly drawing to a close, so I guess I will see if my plan worked on Friday. Go with your gut!
  • Options
    Baby dust coming your way Karin...
  • Options
    Thanks, everybody. Yeah, I don't know why but I just don't trust the ovidrel! My cycle is so regular, that I feel I would trust my own cycle more than a drug, but who knows. If you ovulate past that 36 hour mark, then you have just put all that sperm up there for nothing! Especially with all of these things saying frozen sperm doesn't live that long!

But, all that being said, trying to let go and trust the process!

good luck everybody!
  • Options
    Karen, I know how hard it is to "trust the process". I have battled with that myself. My RE's office wanted to back down my dose of injections when I didn't think they should. I was so tempted many times to adjust my own dosage to what I thought but I never did. I just kept trusting they know best.

When you have had your IUI's done has your doctor mentioned the timing as he does it? I used a trigger shot for ovulation for my cycles also. Each time I had my IUI I was told "timing looks great because your cervix is open". So I assume they can tell if the timing is perfect by whether or not your cervix was open when they completed the IUI. If they haven't mentioned it, it is something worth asking about.

Good luck for this cycle and hopefully you won't have to worry about timing anymore.
  • Options
    Yeah it is really hard to trust the process!! I don't really talk to my doctor that much .... her NP does most of the day to day stuff including monitoring and the actual insemination. My doctor is super nice, and has an excellent reputation, sometimes I just wish that she were a bit more involved in the process. I really haven't sat down to talk with her since my initial consultation!

Hmmm, they never mentioned anything though about my cervix, but the NP never struggled with the insemination or anything. I'll have to ask.

Also, one more question .... is a progesterone level of 15 3-4 days after insemination normal (post ovulatory) or borderline? This is a clomid cycle!

Thanks, everybody!
  • Options
    Karin, I have to say I deal mostly with the nursing staff also. Honestly I have talked to the doctor on a couple occasions for different reasons and I would ask to talk to the nursing staff/director of the program after I spoke to him anyway. In my office the nurses (and director of the program who is a nurse) is just as knowledgeable as the doctors. Don't get me wrong, I really like my doctor, but the nurses are so much easier to talk to and understand. And like I said, they know just as much as the docs. I meet with them after each u/s to go over follicle size and med dosage, etc. The only time the doc does the IUI is if it is on a weekend.

As far as progesterone....they check 7 days past IUI and then again with the pregnancy test at 14 days past IUI. I am told anything over 10 is good. Mine was 14.6 at 7 days past IUI this cycle and I'm pregnant now. On my past IUI's it was about the same 7 days past but then at 14 days past it was down to 6 when I wasn't pregnant. So it sounds good so far. It has nothing to do with whether you are pregnant or not, but it does mean if you are pregnant your progesterone levels are good to maintain the pregnancy.

I hope all that helps. I hope your 2ww isn't too bad so far. I wish you the best Karin! I can't wait to hear your results next week!
  • Options
    Thanks, Becky! That is super helpful. For some reason, I thought that a higher progesterone level was possibly a suggestion of pregnancy! Good to know that it is similar everywhere. The NP who does most of my ultrasounds and IUI is definitely knowledgeable! I just wish she led on that she had a longer time for questions -- I always feel I am inconveniencing her! Anyhow, the whole process is definitely getting easier though. This 2ww is easier than the last. I am just not thinking about it so much.

So, on which IUI did you get your BFP? Also, did you do clomid? I read that the progesterone level should be higher on progesterone (but they say anything 15 or over is normal). Congratulations! Will definitely keep you posted!!

The process is a little scary .... I am going to be scared on some level too if I DO get pregnant, but I suppose this is normal. I've never been a parent before, so it seems like such a huge step!!!

Best of luck to you all! I do truly believe that everything will happen when it's meant to!
  • Options
    Karin, that's a shame they rush you. I have to say at least the nurses do not rush me at my practice. My mom and I had so many questions the one time we kept asking her questions for over an hour. I kept telling her every time I saw her after that she probably hoped I met with one of the other nurses. But she said she didn't mind and was very sincere. The nurses are great and have never rushed us.

I tried Clomid last summer and ended up overstimulating...MAJORLY! I almost had 8 babies. They wren't monitoring me at this point so had my Ovulation Kits worked at home it would have been very bad. After that they decided injections and monitoring would be better because they can control the dosage better with injections. So I used Follistim and and trigger shot for each of my IUI's. I was on a very low dose of the Follistim.

My first IUI I got pregnant but lost the baby very early on. My re's office called it a "pregnancy of unknown location". My numbers never really doubled so it seems what others would call a chemical pregnancy. My 2nd IUI was unsuccessful. My only follicle only got to 15mm. They tried the IUI anyway because my estradiol levels were high so they said there was a chance. But it as negative. My 3rd IUI is the one I am on now. So far things were much better than last time. My HcG doubled as it was supposed to. I will go in on Thursday for my first u/s . Its too early for a heartbeat but I will still feel better knowing the baby is measuring the way it should.

I'm glad your 2ww is going faster. I think it's always a little scary, no matter how you are trying to get pregnant. It will be so worth it in the end. I have an 8 year old daughter from a previous marriage. I raised her as a single mom and can't wait to do it again. It's so exciting!