Options

How many IUIs?

I had 6 unsuccessful IUIs. Two were medicated. No known fertility issues. Donor had great numbers (over 20 million almost very time)
Anyone have luck AFTER 6 tries. Trying to decide if I should look into IVF or other options or stick it out a bit longer.
Thanks for any advice and hope!

Comments

• Options
    Did anyone have their success AFTER 7?
    Also, my doctor does not do any ultrasounds at all in between IUIs- anyone else just do the ovulation prediction kit and nothing else and still have success?

Thanks
  • Options
    Sorry, I can't be of any help but wanted to know I saw your post and wish you the best. I just finished #1 and it didn't work.
  • Options
    Thanks and good luck to you!! I don't know if I should keep going on this route or try something else. Anyone succeed after 7 or am I wasting my time with IUI ? I did get the info packet from my doctor for IVF which is so overwhelming and of course expensive
  • Options
    My son was lucky #8!!! It was my last vial and I was just emotionally drained, so it was going to be my last try. Four out the eight tries were with injections. I triggered the night before I ran a half marathon, and I remember subconsciously talking to my eggs to not jiggle out early. :) Good luck! I know how frustrating it is.
  • Options
    Are you going to a fertility doctor? If so, ultrasounds should be done to really target the right time and monitor the success of the meds and to make sure there weren't too many follicles. I think he started on day nine or ten. Sometimes he would change things up in the middle of my cycle if he saw the injections weren't "strong" enough or too "strong", so he would change my protocol midstream.
  • Options
    I've been seeing a fertility Doctor from day one but it sounds like she is not as aggressive as what I am hearing others are doing. #7 was a few days ago and I have one vial left.
  • Options
    Most RE's say to switch to IVF after 3-4 unsuccessful IUI but you never know.

I got pregnant on my 3rd IUI. Two eggs fertilized. Around 7-8 weeks I lost one -they called it a vanishing twin. All my doctors - RE, regular OB and high-risk OB (for over 35) thought everything looked good with the second one. Unfortunately at 13 weeks I was given devastating news that my baby had chromosomal abnormalities and wouldn't make it. I had to have a d&e and I'm just heartbroken. It was a baby girl with donor 13866. The doctors did further testing and found it was just completely unlucky, random occurrence and that it was nothing caused by me or the donor. I'm awaiting my first period after d&e and have an appt with my RE tomorrow. They say you are very fertile after having just been pregnant. I have 3 vials left- had been saving them for a sibling. I am turning 37 next week and as long as my RE agrees I plan to try another IUI next month. My insurance doesn't cover anything with IUI or IVF, not even meds. So it has been a very emotionally, physically and financially draining process. I won't give up on my dream of becoming a mother so have to push through! I pray it works on the first round so I can still have vials left for future sibling as my donor is now sold out.
    For those of you trying, if you haven't already I'd suggest getting your tubes flushed- it's uncomfortable but quick procedure and its supposedly very successful for next months cycle. Worked for me. Also try acupuncture- very true believer in its assistance in fertility not just for me but for several friends who had issues. Good luck and baby dust to us all!
  • Options
    I had 8 IUIs and even though I ovulate regularly was carefully monitored with ultrasounds and ovulation sticks and things looked great, they were all unsuccessful. Early on I had an HSG which showed I have great tubes and then almost 2 years into giving IUI a shot I started the IVF process. They gave me an HSS test along with a bunch of labs and it turns out I had endometriosis, which also let me know that a cyst on my right ovary that wasn't going away was also endometriosis. I just had surgery last week and it was a success! My doctor thinks I can scrap the plan for IVF and give IUI another shot once I'm all healed up. I am in love with that idea and would be so happy if it worked. Fingers crossed :)

Anyway, I've written a blog that chronicles my journey down the path to motherhood as a single woman. The goal is to get the word out there, so that women like me, don't think it's such a crazy far stretch of a thing to do- become a mom via anonymous sperm donor, that is. To hopefully help other women like me feel less alone. And to feel empowered. Maybe to learn things I wish I knew about when I started. And to laugh a little. Here's the link if you're interested! http://nestinginla.com
  • Options
    Thank you so much ladies. "bellasmom" I am so sorry for your situation. I was devastated after number 7 did not work. I have one vial left and decided to use it for IVF but I cannot bear to imagine that not working because this process has been emotionally and financially draining.
    Someone else told me about the "tube flush"
    I'm just so torn on what to do. I was 37 when I started this and now it is a year later and I'm looking at 38. It's a tough decision for me.