Options

Trigger Shot vs. Natural Ovulation?

Just wondering if anyone here has any thoughts on the usefulness of getting an Hcg trigger shot before an IUI (after a course of Clomid) versus just allowing your body to ovulate naturally and planning your IUI based on the results of a Clear Blue Easy digital monitor?

I feel quite secure about the results of my digital monitor and I'd like to avoid more needles (does it hurt?) and messing around with my body if possible. Because of the Clomid, I know I'll ovulate (always did regularly anyway, but my cycle went haywire right before I started this process due to nerves, I guess), so I could just wait it out. But I also want to maximize my chances of this IUI working out, esp. after all the time and money that's gone into it, and the trigger shot seems to offer a more foolproof approach. Or does it?

--CSS

Comments

• Options
    The needle is very little... not painful at all.

As far as natural or triggered... I think it's a personal choice. What does your doctor say?
  • Options
    That's good to hear, thanks. I actually found a YouTube video (it's amazing what you can find on YouTube!) of a husband administering a trigger shot to his wife and it didn't look that bad at all.

My doctor is leaving it up to me, so it's my decision. I was originally going to do the trigger shot just to try and guarantee the timing, but from some of the stories I've read, it's still something of a gamble. And I'll end up ovulating naturally around the same time, according to my estimates. So I'm sort of leaning in that direction...

--CSS
  • Options
    This entire thread turns out to be a moot point (for me) because the Clomid didn't work (very slow follicle growth) and now I'm starting to have irregular period/bleeding yet again. So an IUI this cycle is probably out.

Time to go back to the drawing board.

--CSS
  • Options
    CSS,
    Sorry to hear that. Will your doctor be giving you a higher dose of Clomid next time?

My experience might help you make a decision. My first 2 IUIs I was on 100 mg of Clomid, and I used the Clear Blue digital ovulation kit. I detected my surge, but by the time I got to the clinic the next morning, both times I had already ovulated. My 3rd IUI I switched REs, took 100 mg of Femara, which is similar to Clomid but has fewer side effects, as in none, and gave myself the trigger shot, Ovidrel. It didn't hurt at all. I gave myself the shot on Friday evening and was scheduled for my IUI on Sunday morning. I was very nervous that again we were going to miss ovulation, but it turns out I'm pregnant! Seems the timing was perfect. My RE felt that the trigger shot would leave nothing to chance, and wouldn't risk not catching my surge in time.

Just something to think about. The Ovidrel only cost me about $80.