Options

Progesteron Level

My RE just called to say that I have a level of well over 20, can someone tell me what that means.

Comments

• Options
    Hey - I just grabbed this on the internet as I wanted to know for myselg... Are you in first trimestet? If so, then you're good!....

Progesterone levels also can have quite a variance at this stage of pregnancy. They can range from 9-47ng/ml in the first trimester, with an average of 12-20ng/ml in the first 5-6 weeks of pregnancy.

With both hCG levels and progesterone levels, it is not the single value that can predict a healthy pregnancy outcome. It is more important to evaluate two different values to see if the numbers are increasing. Levels of hCG should be increasing by at least 60 % every 2-3 days, but ideally doubling every 48-72 hours. Progesterone levels rise much differently than hCG levels, with an average of 1-3ng/ml every couple days until they reach their peak for that trimester. In situations when there is a concern of an ectopic pregnancy or miscarriage, hCG levels will often start out normal, but will not show a significant increase or will stop rising all together, and progesterone levels will be low from the beginning.
  • Options
    No I am only 7 days past IUI, but I am hoping that this may mean that I am pregnant. I can't test until next Monday--this wait is killing me
  • Options
    I just heard from my dr. and she said my prog level is 37.2... she said that is really good because it means we don't have to do progesterone suppositories... (Thank goodness for that) She said my hcg is 28 and all that means is that I;m in the early stages of pregnancy... most important is if it doubles by tomorrow when they take blood again.

I'm 12 days past IUI, but we tested at 10 Days using the clear blue easy digital... I did some reasearch and that one actually can show 50% accurate at 5 days before your cycle and is 84% accurate at 4 days before your cycle.

During the second half of your cycle you have progesterone but it's low... here is another article I found on wikipedia....

In women, progesterone levels are relatively low during the preovulatory phase of the menstrual cycle, rise after ovulation, and are elevated during the luteal phase. Progesterone levels tend to be < 2 ng/ml prior to ovulation, and > 5 ng/ml after ovulation. If pregnancy occurs, progesterone levels are initially maintained at luteal levels. With the onset of the luteal-placental shift in progesterone support of the pregnancy, levels start to rise further and may reach 100-200 ng/ml at term. Whether a decrease in progesterone levels is critical for the initiation of labor has been argued and may be species-specific. After delivery of the placenta and during lactation, progesterone levels are very low.

You could be pregnant... are you experiencing other symptoms?
  • Options
    Some soreness of breast but not what I experienced before I lost my right ovary. I am so wishing for a successful IUI that I can not stand it. I am 8 days post IUI and teh wait is killing me...so the high progesterone level may or not mean pregnancy huh!
  • Options
    It's hard to tell... you at least on the high side of prog level though... did you have any other prog. levels from previous attempts to compare with? (I'm sure you would have already thought about that.. :) Good news though, below it says you can be pregnant with a minimum of 10... another bit of info from internet...

Progesterone during menstrual cycle
    Day 1-14 >1 to 1.5 ng/ml
    Day 15-28 2-28 ng/ml

Progesterone during pregnancy

First Trimester 9-47 ng/ml
    Second Trimester 17-147 ng/ml
    Third Trimester 55-200 ng/ml

Sometimes doctors will check a woman's progesterone level during pregnancy. Most doctors like to see a minimum level of 10 ng/ml during the first few weeks of pregnancy. If a woman has low progesterone levels this can be an indication of a threatened miscarriage. If you are concerned about your progesterone level talk to your doctor for more information.
  • Options
    Shannon

Thanks you for the insight.This is my first IUI, as I did at home insem when having my son. So I do not have numbers to compare with.

Kim