Options

New to this

I am very new to this process (have my consultation next week) and I am just wondering how long it has taken some of the women to get pregnant? I have no fertility problems that I am aware of. I am just a single woman tired of waiting for the "right" man to come along. I know this can get expensive, am I being too hopeful that it will happen quickly?

Comments

• Options
    I am in the same boat as you! I have no know fertility problems. I decided that if I waited for Mr Right, I may never have a child.

My first 3 IUIs were with Clomid and the trigger shot to time ovulation. I used the same donor for all three of these. I thought he was THE ONE - Mr Perfect in every way. I foolishly only bought 3 vials because I never thought it wouldn't work within three tries. For the 4th IUI my donor had run out and I didn't want to wait around until he had more available. So, I had to pick a new donor which I'm now very happy with. I'll be even happier with him if it's successful.

I had my 4th IUI yesterday. This time I was taking injectables. I also started to see an acupuncturist every other week. She suggested a book, "Making Babies by David & Blakeway" which offered a lot of good suggestions.

It is getting expensive b/c my insurance won't cover fertility treatments. It will cover all the diagnostics to determine what if any the problem is, it just won't treat them. Sounds crazy but, whatever. It is what it is.

I'm now in my two week wait which is oh so much fun! (note the sarcasm) I'm hoping that with all the changes I've made from the first 3 to this one, it'll work this time. Fingers crossed! GOOD LUCK!!!!!
  • Options
    Well first off, welcome :) You will learn alot just by reading everyones posts and doing research. Are you already seeing an re or obgyn? Do you know if they are doing narural or medicated cycles? My re is starting with 3 natural cycles. If that does not work she said she will move on to medicated and monitored. For now im doing ovulation kits and going in when its positive for the iui. I would suggest getting to know your body now before its time. I did ovulation kits a few months before to track ovulation so i know around when i ovulate during the month. I prefer the smiley ones. They are easier for me. My re also said average is 4 tries before it works. Everyone is different though. I have heard of it taking one try or taking ten tries. Good luck :)
  • Options
    I am not sure what "re" means?
    My ob/gyn referred me to another doctor because she does not do artificial insemination. I have my first appointment with him on Tuesday (11/29). I have no idea what to expect as far as how quickly I'll be able to try....I hope asap! I have been off birth control for a year now and tracking my cycles and am very regular.
    So from what I've read, it's advantageous to buy more than one vial? I didn't know if they used an entire vial for each insemination.
  • Options
    I am so glad you posted this. I am in the same situation as you. How did your consultation go? My first visit with a RE is this coming Friday (12/9). I figure its ok to go by myself -- mom asked if I wanted her to go, but I didnt know if that would just frustrate me or what. I'm also not sure of any fertility problems - just have never tried to get pregnant. Im have an IUD now and ready to have this stupid thing removed ASAP. I loaded up my health care flex spending account for next year to pay for the vials and appointments.It wont cover everything, but every little bit helps.
    I just would really like to hear how your appointment went! :)
  • Options
    I am new too and I am sick of waiting around for Mr. Right too --- I was so set with my plan but if you look under the singles section I feel so full of doubt tonight does anyone else have that too????
  • Options
    ispies, I couldn't agree with you more. I have just started the injections for my 5th attempt. I'm 41 and tried 3 IUIs with Clomid and one with injections. My Dr just upped my dosage this month. We'll see how that works. It's so discouraging. I'm trying to stay positive and optimistic but with each passing month it is getting harder and harder. This may be my last try. I may have to look into adoption if it doesn't work this time. So, no pressure this month, ha ha!
  • Options
    Greetings! I am new to this as well. I have started the injectables this week. This will be our 1st session of IUI and are crossing our fingers. We are going to use 2 vials right off the bat. Our RE is fairly aggressive, while I don't have a known infertility issue, she was a bit concerned by my elevated progesterone. I'd love to hear how the appointments went for you all!
  • Options
    Hi. I'm just starting to explore this thing and I'm so confused! What is the difference between iui and ici? How long typically does it take to get pregnant with insemination? Is the insemenation process done in a doctor visit? Will insurance cover it? I have been on birth control and I havent yet talked with my doctor--I'm still trying to get all the info. I'm younger and I haven't had any problems in that area though I have never tried to get pregnant. I am also tired of looking for Mr Right and tired of seeing how everyone I know is having children. I want a child but I want all the right information first. Thank you for any help!
  • Options
    Steffi - welcome to the club. I had my 5th IUI last week. Hoping this was the successful one.

An IUI is a very simple painless procedure. It is done in the Dr's office and takes about 5 minutes. It's very similar to a Pap smear. They go in, insert the specimen and you lay there for about 10 minutes. After that you can go on about your day like nothing happened. Then you wait for two weeks to see if it worked - that's the hard part. My insurance does not cover any assisted fertility but I know many do. Call your insurance company to ask. My Dr charges me $150 per IUI. I have ended up using injectables with the last two inseminations and that has gotten expensive - close to #1500-$2000 a month. The injections are super easy to do. A shot in the thigh every night for about 7 nights to help grow more mature follicles to give the boys more of an option to go with. With injectables you also need to go to the Dr every two or three days for bloodwork and an ultrasound to monitor whether you need to adjust your meds. That can be a bit of a hassle. But in the end I'm hoping it works and it was all worth it. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you kayla!
  • Options
    OMG! I'm freaking out! I AM FREAKING OUT!! I've taken 5 HPTs over the past two days and each one was a BFP! Whoa baby!
  • Options
    OMG, kayla!! DUST!! GOOD LUCK!!! Eeks!!