Options

Cerclage,Omphalocele,PCOS,Pre-Diabetes

Has anyone had an elective cerclage and if so were you able to return to work? I recently lost a second trimester pregnancy and altough my baby had a defect my OB feels it would be safe to just have the cerclage in case my cervix was failing. I have a consultation coming up with high risk, but curious minds want to know now.

My baby's intestines were outside his body; Omphalocele. Has anyone else had a similar issue in a pregnancy?

I also have PCOS and am pre-diabetic. I'm just really nervous about everything that could wrong with this next pregnancy.

Comments

• Options
    I had a cerclage after a second trimester loss along with lovenox, heparin, and iron pills. My pregnancy under those treatments was successful. You can return to work depending on how things go. Your doc will let you know. My cerclage was removed at 35 weeks.
  • Options
    Thank you,Raine. I hope I'll be able to go back to work also. I too need some extra Iron; a bit anemic. My OB mentioned that I'll need to take Progesterone Injections for the entire pregnancy. The plan is to beat the PCOS again,keep my blood sugars levels normal,and keep my cervix closed. So did you start going into labor or did they remove the cerclage?
  • Options
    I took progesterone injections and inserts for the first trimester since my numbers went up. My cerclage was placed "just in case" but my real problem is the blood clotting disorder which caused me to lose my first baby at 17 weeks 6 days. It was taken out at 35 weeks but I didn't go into labor until 38 weeks. Even then, I wouldn't dialate beyond 6cm and ended up having to have a c-section. When will you begin trying again? Will you use fertility drugs? I did the second time around.
  • Options
    I did use fertility drugs. I did a total of 7 IUIs; 5 Clomid,1 Femara, and 1 Follistim. Follistim worked the first time and also gave me 3 follicles while the others only gave me one. I will be using Follistim when I go back. My loss just happened the 2nd of this month. My OB said to wait for at least two menstrual cycles, but I don't have them on my own normally. He will give Provera if I haven't had one in 40 days. I've gotten to know Provera very well. I'm sure I will need it again. It will probably be mid May or June when I start back up with the RE.

My biggest fear with the Cerclage is bed rest. I am hoping that I will still be able to work because I am single. I did bed rest with the pregnancy that I lost and that was only a few weeks but I was miserable. Like you, the Cerclage is "just in case." I feel like it better safe than sorry. I'm just ready to get a baby back in my tummy. I'm glad to hear you had success. It does give me hope as far as the possible cervical issue goes. I'm still worried about birth defects, but all I can do is increase my Folic Acid and hope for a better outcome.

How was recovery from c-section?
  • Options
    How was recovery from c-section?--smaciegracie

I'm going to be brutally honest. Both the c-section and the recovery was very uncomfortable for me. I had to have a spinal since the epidural wasn't working for me. Now, I have back and other aches and pains (every now and then) but I'm not sure if it's due to the section or the pregnancy. I'm not saying that you would be uncomfortable with a c-section, but I don't know of too many women who didn't have problems during recovery.
  • Options
    I have a friend who also had the spinal for c-section twice. She complains of those same type of pains to this day. Her eldest child 1s 16 and the youngest is 12. I am hoping to avoid c-section, but I figured I should be prepared because the unexpected does happen.