Options

Input on fertility boosters

I have (1) vial of IUI left and no $ at the moment to spend on additional vials. So, any input on your experience with fertility boosters will be much appreciated since I want to discuss the option with my RE. I start my cycle this weekend and will be preparing for the IUI around July 4th weekend if all goes well.

Comments

• Options
    If you have no money for vials, don't expect to be able to afford fertility boosters, unless your insurance pays for it. Depending on the route you go (Clomid or injections), it could be up to $4,500 per cycle. I've done injections 3 times now, and honestly, I don't think it improves your chances by leaps and bounds the way you think it would. You should still discuss it with your doctor, but be aware that it gets costly very quickly! Good luck, no matter what route you choose!

Alysia
  • Options
    Alysia,
    Thanks! My RE doesn't feel like I need them but I wanted to hear from people who have used them to have a better understanding of what is involved. I have a friend who has been trying to conceive for 9 yrs and FINALLY her Dr. put her on fertility injections and pills and she just gave birth to her 1st baby boy 2 weeks ago.
    My doctor just wants to consider options to make this 1 IUI from a "no longer available" donor work if possible.
    Where are you at in the process?
  • Options
    I am on my 5th IUI. The first two cycles were using Clomid and the second resulted in pregnancy and then miscarriage. The 3rd cycle was injections, and same story, miscarriage. The 4th and 5th times using injections, and I'm currently waiting to find out if the 5th time was a charm.

We went into this process thinking "we'll use fertility drugs to give us the best chance possible" but when I read about it, the chances of conception are still only like 20-30%... Not much more than a natural cycle. Using fertility drugs is VERY costly. We did not realize that we would be spending more on trying to have children than we did when buying our cars!

I've heard of plenty of women on these boards that have successful IUI's on the first try, so don't lose hope! I just feel like everyone should be aware of the costs that this process can generate, since I was not so lucky to know ahead of time.

Good luck to you!
  • Options
    I don't have any experience with fertility boosters and I'm not familiar with your history, but have you tried natural fertility enhancers?

I can't say that these things got me my BFP, but I done research on each of these and tried them and got pregnant on our first IUI.

It's worth looking into...

Mucinex - it thins your CM and lets the sperm penetrate through easier to get to the egg.

Baby Aspirin - this thickens your uterine lining and helps the egg to stick.

Berries - I ate raspberries every day for a month prior to the IUI...it's a natural enhancer.

Do some research and see what you think...my philosophy was that it couldn't hurt to try!

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks Ladies:
    I am taking Prenatal vitamins, baby aspirin, Mucinex and I did hear about the raspberries so I'll be doing those as well. I'd prefer natural if possible and think I'm going to try this IUI without prescribed fertility boosters and see where it goes.

MistyandCarla...How soon did you start taking the above mentioned items?
  • Options
    I took a multivitamin, vitamin E, and D, one baby aspirin and a capsule of flaxseed oil everyday for 2 months before my first IUI. I then went on clomid (which I found to be quite inexpensive) and used a trigger shot to induce ovulation. My first IUI was a success :)
  • Options
    I actually planned on taking both, the aspirin and Mucinex, from CD1 to Ovulation. But, I got sick with a cold the week before so I took the Mucinex for about3 weeks and the aspirin about 2 weeks.

jjr3 mentioned the flaxseed oil and that triggered my memory. I also used flax seed. I used the ground flaxseed and put it in my raspberry smoothy every morning. Yummy!
  • Options
    Nice. Thanks for the input.