Options

Deciding between IUI vs ICI

Does it really matter which route you decide to go? I'm having a hard time deciding between how many vials as well. When I'm ovulating, do I want to use more than one vial? Space them out? Help!

Comments

• Options
    Hi Lo –

Number of Vials to Order:

The first question is how many children do you plan to have? If you plan to have more than one child and want them to have the same donor, it’s important to plan for that now. Most clients that wait until later to order vials for Baby#2 are disappointed to find out that their donor is sold out and retired from our program. We recommend purchasing at least 5 vials per pregnancy and we offer free storage with our family planning programs. If you plan on having more than one child, with our Family Tomorrow program you receive 3 years of free storage and one free branch transfer with the purchase of 10 vials. https://cryobank.com/Services/Additional-Services/Family-Today---Family-Tomorrow/

If you plan on having just one child and you absolutely adore your donor, you should consider purchasing 5 vials. You can store them for free at CCB and ship them out as needed. With our Family Today program, you receive 1 year of free storage and a free branch transfer. (We also offer a 50% Buyback program if you don’t ship out all of your vials.) http://cryobank.com/Services/Additional-Services/Vial-Buyback-Offer/

Otherwise, if you purchase month to month you run the risk of your donor selling out and having to go through the whole process of selecting a different donor. You’ll see many posts on our Bulletin Board of clients looking for additional vials because their donor is no longer available.

As for using one or two vials per cycle, most clinics will use one vial per cycle. The important part is to pinpoint the most optimal time to inseminate.

IUI vs ICI:

Are you deciding which type of vial to order or whether to do an at-home insemination?

If you are doing an at-home insemination you will need to order the ICI vials. They contain the seminal fluid that help the sperm travel to the uterus.

If you are doing an IUI with a medical professional, you will most likely need IUI vials. These vials are "washed" and ready to go for an IUI. (If your clinic washes specimen, you will need to order the ICI vials, as we do not recommend re-washing IUI vials.)

While we have a number of clients that become pregnant from at-home inseminations, doing an IUI with a medical professional may offer you a better chance at success. By inserting the specimen into the uterus, it puts the sperm closer to the egg. Also, your clinic may do blood tests or ultrasounds to monitor ovulation. It takes the average healthy woman about 3-4 IUIs to achieve pregnancy.

Another factor is maternal age. For those 35 or older, it's best to work with a medical professional to maximize your chance of becoming pregnant.

If you do plan to do an at-home insemination, you will still need a medical professional to sign the A1 form and you will need the materials needed to perform an at-home insemination. Some licensed midwives are able to assist with this.

Whichever option you decide, we wish you the best of luck!

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    Thanks for getting back to me, Nicole. My wife and I would like to have 2 children using the same donor. It's so expensive so that adds to the pressure of maaking the best decision. Ideally we would like to inseminate at home. If we do go that route, when do we get the necessary equipment? I had always thought that came with the vials.

Also, If we were to purchase 5 ICI and 5 IUI would we still qualify for the 3 years free storage?

Thank you!
  • Options
    Hi Lo -

Yes, if you purchase 5 ICI and 5 IUI vials at the same time, you will qualify for our Family Tomorrow program and receive the 3 years of free storage.

If your partner plans to be inseminated for Baby#2, we can do a free family vial transfer so that the remaining vials and storage time gets transferred to her account. (She would complete the account forms, you would both complete the transfer of ownership document, and then it takes about 4 weeks for the transfer to be completed.)

Our shipments contain the vial(s) and shipping documents, including a copy of the handling & thawing instructions: https://cryobank.com/Learning-Center/Sperm-Banking-101/Thawing-Vials-for-Insemination/

You should acquire the insemination supplies ahead of time so that you already have them when the vial shipment arrives. Your medical professional may be able to assist you with this. (Our ICI vials contain 1 mL, so you will be working with a very small amount of liquid.) You may also want to check out our Same Sex Couples forum to see what other women have used for home inseminations.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB