Options

ICI versus IUI vials

I have two questions.
1. I noticed some of the donors don't have ICI vials. How do you determine whether the vial should be ICI or IUI?
2. If a donor finds out they have an STD such as HIV, are the clients who used the sperm informed? I am a little fearful of getting an STD on donor sperm.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Erie -

1) Our lab washes the majority of our vials. If a donor is currently sold out of ICI vials, it's possible that he may have more available in the future. If you have specific donors you are considering, we can check to see if additional ICI vials are expected.

2) A major benefit of using frozen donor sperm from CCB is that all of our donor vials are quarantined for a minimum of six months and infectious disease testing is repeated at approximately 90-day intervals. So for example, if we collect a sample on January 1st, it's held in quarantine for at least six months after that(even if the donor tested negative for infectious diseases at that time). The donor returns for a blood draw after the six-month quarantine period and if the results show that the donor is clear of infectious diseases, the vials collected back on January 1st are released.

Please feel free to check out our page on donor screening to learn more about our infectious disease testing:
    http://cryobank.com/How-It-Works/Donor-Qualification/

(Our donor screening process complies with FDA regulations and we are also accredited by AATB, certified by CLIA, and we follow ASRM guidelines.)

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    How do you guarantee the sperm belongs to the donor? Are they required to donate on the premises?
  • Options
    Hi Erie -

Yes, all donations are collected at CCB locations. When they arrive for their appointment, there is a fingerprint scan done to verify it the correct person.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB