Options

FIRST TIME TRYING THIS!

PLEASE send good wishes and baby dust! I have been through so much heartbreak with my unsuccessful TTC attempts for the past 8 years...and it seems every single person I know gets pregnant every time they sneeze near their men. It kills my soul every time...and I know that is the wrong attitude to have.

Now, as if to complicate matters, I was going to use my tax return money to buy 3 vials today to start with my next cycle (which should begin this weekend), but the STUPID IRS decided to only give me HALF of what my return was SUPPOSED to be!!! I am SOOO upset and angry, because now I can only afford ONE vial today...and I feel like all my hopes and dreams are pinned on this ONE shot.

I'm scared!

I'm running out of time, too...my husband turns 50 this year, and it's getting a little too late for him to start a family.

So maybe I should consider that perhaps the universe has a plan for us, and they knew we shouldn't waste money on THREE vials, so they made it impossible for us to buy more than ONE right now, right? Maybe they're telling us that this will be our lucky one...

I hope so.

I should start my cycle this weekend, and I already have my Clomid ready to go. I'm doing the IUI at my doctor's, I've lost 75 lbs in the past year, I have been working out 3x a week, I've been taking daily vitamins, and my cycles have been completely regular...so I don't know what more I can do on my end to make this more successful. It's in the hands of the skilled doctor and the powers that be...so send baby dust please, and of course I'm doing the same for all of you!!!!

Hoping to see a LOT of BFPs soon...2010 is a GOOD year, I just know it!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Good luck! Sending blessings your way
  • Options
    I know easier said than done, but let go. My partner and I have also caught ourselves feeling like we are floating and life felt like it came to standstill just waiting. It took some soul searching, but all we can do is leave it God's hands. Whatever happens, just know it is meant to be. Enjoy your life, smile, give thanks, and also enjoy and cherish your loved ones.

With that said.....good luck and I'll be praying for you.
  • Options
    Thanks!

BTW, does anyone know if the odds are increased based on the procedure you use?

I'm 31 years old and have had one successful pregnancy in the past (my daughter was born in 2002). I have had tests done since then that show there is no reason why I can't conceive; the issue is my husband's infertility (my ex-husband is the father of my daughter, BTW).

I am going to be taking Clomid on this cycle, and then my doctor is planning to use an ultrasound to check for eggs, giving me a trigger shot of some kind, using another ultrasound to confirm the eggs are there, and then doing an IUI procedure on me. (Or something like that...not entirely sure of what the entire process entails, but I think that is how he described it.)

Does this kind of system hold a higher success rate than others?

I want to be realistic about my odds going into this...anyone know any stats about that?

Thanks in advance for your patience and the info!
  • Options
    Hello - below are copied posts between on another post between a member and Scott w/CCB. Is this was you were referring to?

------------------
    IUI vs. ICI
    10/17/08 8:19 AM

Is there a higher success rate with ICI or IUI? I have tried using the ICI method 3 three times and have been unsuccessful, This is fourth time, and the first time that I will be using IUI and I am hoping for a better chance this time..

RE: IUI vs. ICI
    10/17/08 2:46 PM

According to our Medical Director, studies have shown as much as a 50% higher success rate with IUI inseminations.

IUI must be performed by a medical professional. If you have been trying at home inseminations to this point, you may also want to consider having a professional assist with any further ICI attempts.

It is also important to note that on average it takes 3+ insemination cycles per successful pregnancy (including both ICI and IUI), so you are certainly well within the expected range of results.

Good luck,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    more info on wikipedia:

Pregnancy rate
    Success rates, or pregnancy rates for artificial insemination may be very misleading, since many factors including the age and health of the recipient have to be included to give a meaningful answer, e.g. definition of success and calculation of the total population.[7] For couples whose infertility is unexplained, unstimulated IUI is no more effective than natural means of conception.[8][9]

Approximate pregnancy rate as a function of total sperm count (may be twice as large as total motile sperm count). Values are for intrauterine insemination. (Old data, rates are likely higher today)
    Generally, it is 10 to 15% per menstrual cycle using ICI, and[10] and 15-20% per cycle for IUI.[10] In IUI, about 60 to 70% have achieved pregnancy after 6 cycles.[11
  • Options
    Shouldn't people generally have the same odds each time they try? I mean, the odds of me conceiving the 3rd time I do this SHOULD be the same as the odds of me conceiving the 1st time, right? It's not like the sperm cells and fertility drugs build up in your system after a few attempts and make each subsequent attempt more successful...??? It's like playing the lotto, isn't it? No matter how many times you play, you still have the exact same odds of winning as you did the first time around, right?

I am so confused!

At any rate, AF came today, so I start Clomid on the 28th and I am scheduled for an U/S on March 8. WISH ME LUCK!!!!!!
  • Options
    Just a little info from my outstanding Nurse Practitioner: she did NOT recommend more than 1 vial per cycle. Although a woman's egg is very short-lived, sperm can live in a woman's body for days and it only takes one! Provided you are tracking your ovulation and time your procedure as soon as you get that positive result - one vial will really produce the same odds as multiple vials. I also asked the OBGYN about this separately from the Nurse Practitioner, and he recommended one vial also, not multiple. We have completed 4 IUIs and just had our first positive pregancy test on Valentine's Day...it will happen for you!

Best of luck Omesaara!
  • Options
    Oh, we are not using more than one vial at a time...I was just thinking we might need to try more than one IUI round, and as it stands right now, we can only afford ONE shot at this. So everything we have is riding on this...wish us luck! We go in Monday morning for the ultrasound to see if I have follicles ready and how many. I feel a lot of emphasis on the number 3 right now...so this is good that this is the 3rd month...I'm hoping for 3 follicles on Monday to increase our odds, and I will take that as a good sign if it happens...after all, we only need ONE to get fertilized, right? :)
  • Options
    We went in this morning to check on those follicles, and they found 3 really good ones, so they gave me my trigger shot and I go in tomorrow morning for my IUI!

WISH US LUCK!

I've been really feeling drawn to the number 3 in this whole process, so I am taking it as a good sign that we had THREE follicles when they checked, and that they are doing this on 3/9/10 (9=3x3, of course).

But I noticed on here that a lot of people were having their trigger shot 30-36 hours before the IUI, and mine is only going to be 24 hours...is that a problem? Now I am worried.

WISH US LUCK!!!
  • Options
    Omesaara, 24 hours is fine I did the same timing and got pregnant good luck
  • Options
    Omesaara...just wanted to wish you luck with your IUI!

KUP
  • Options
    Thanks! I had it done this morning. I had 3 follicles, and our donor (#11116) ended up with 53 million active swimmers in our vial, so my doctor was very pleased. Now, the dreaded 2ww!!!! Good thing I am in rehearsals for my next show (I am playing "Bellomy" in "The Fantasticks" right now) and it is dreaded FCAT week (I teach high school English), so I can keep my mind occupied!!!