Options

Canavan Disease

Hi. How do we know if a donor is a non-carrier for Caravan disease. I am a carrier, so it is important that the donor is not.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Karen -

This link shows you the genetic testing we do for all donors. As you will see, all donors of Jewish descent are screened for Caravan disease.

http://www.cryobank.com/How-It-Works/Donor-Qualification/Genetic-Screening/

If you would like to double check any donor(s), please contact our Genetics Department and they will be more than happy to discuss the specific screening that donor received.

Regards,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Hi Scott. If the donors are tested, how do we know if they are positive or negative. I didn't see that in the medical report. Thanks.

-Karen
  • Options
    Hi Karen -

If an applicant tested positive as a carrier for Caravan disease, he would be disqualified from our donor program.

Our Genetics Department can be reached at 877-743-6384. They are really the best place to go for any questions you may have about donor screening. I can answer the basics, but you obviously want to make sure you are medically completely comfortable with your donor selection. I would highly recommend giving them a call.

Scott
    CCB