Options

Donor has allergies to cats and mild asthma

I purchased the long profile of a donor and everything was looking excellent until I saw he has allergies to cats and mild asthma. I have 3 cats, they are the loves of my life. Seems it would be pretty ignorant for me to proceed with this donor because I do believe allergies can be hereditary. Any thoughts on this would be helpful. :)

Comments

• Options
    This answer comes from the CCB Genetics Department:

Allergies are something of a mystery. Why or when they develop can depend on a large variety of things. Some argue that exposing young children to possible allergens helps build their immune systems, while others believe the contrary. From a genetic standpoint, we can't say eliminating this donor based on allergies is a good or bad decision. The best advice we can give is to consult your physician.

Regards,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    I'd just like to add that our donor has allergies to cats and seasonal allergies, and we had two cats from the time my daughter was born until right before her first birthday. She shows no signs of any allergies whatsoever. Even though we don't have our cats anymore, we are frequently at homes of friends and family who do, and she has no problems. Good luck to you!
  • Options
    thanks for the help!