Options

BFP First Try - It Happens!

Hey all, I just want you to know that IT CAN HAPPEN! I got a BFP today, first try of IUI. I am a totally healthy 39 year old who just decided last month that single motherhood was my path. I went to see someone at the fertility clinic in my area and she said because of my age I should start right away. We decided I would try the natural way first (no meds). I went right to work! Got on prenatals, started taking baby aspirin, got my bloodwork done on Day 3, got the HSG done on Day 9, picked out a donor and ordered it to be sent to fertility clinic. Then I started testing for ovulation. I got a positive at 8pm on 10/13, went in for IUI at 11:30am on 10/14. They only did "one well-timed insemination". They put me on progesterone suppositories 200mg 3 times a day. I was so strong and didn't test till today! I didn't have any pregnancy symptoms other than being hotter than I usually am. The first test was EPT, which was hard to read, so I went out and got a Clear Blue Easy Digital. This test clearly said "pregnant". It is still sinking in and I still can't believe it. I thought it would take months! Stay positive people, think positive thoughts because it works!

Comments

• Options
    Congratulations !!!!!!!
    That is so incouraging.

M
  • Options
    I'm so glad to hear that! Congratulations!!! I hope I have the same good luck!
  • Options
    Congrats!!
  • Options
    That is fabulous! It sounds like I went through the same exact process and am currently 40. I will be having my 1st insemination coming up in about 2 weeks. I am going to have the back to back but WOW...... I am so happy for you! Did you use an open or anonymous donor?

Jen
  • Options
    Congratulations!!!!
  • Options
    Congrats to you!! Can I ask: did you have your IUI in the morning IUI or the afternoon on the day after you had an LH surge? I've been through two cycles, and both were at 1:30 in the afternoon. Neither were successful (just got my period today....very upset about that!!) Trying to keep it together, but I so wanted this to be "the time". But thank you for sharing your story, because stories like this give me hope that it might happen for me soon, too!
  • Options
    Thanks for the congrats everyone. I still can't believe its true. I went to get a blood test yesterday and the Dr. called today and said, its very early and numbers are low, but I am definitely pregnant.

Jen - I used anonymous donor #11220. I chose someone that had the same features as me since I am going to be raising the child on my own.

Poppyqueen - the OPK was negative at 6 a.m. on day 14, but I knew it was the day. I even called the doctor and said, I don't think these tests work. I tested again at 11 a.m., negative again. I tested at 8 p.m. and it was positive! So the next morning I called the doctor and they set up my appointment for 11:30 a.m. that same day. I thought it might be too soon, but my doctor said, as long as its in there before ovulation then we're good. She was right! And glad my donor had good swimmers too!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info! I'm going to try for an early appt next time--maybe I'm catching it too late. I test every morning at 5:45, and don't go in until the next day. Maybe I'll try evening testing, too!

BEST OF LUCK with your pregnancy!!! And keep posting for us ladies--you give us hope!
  • Options
    I used the Clear Blue Easy Digital, and I got the 20 pack so I could test 2-3 times a day from day 11 on. I was told to test in the morning too, but I am glad I tried a few times that day! I wouldn't have known till the next morning, and they might have given me an appointment the day after that, and I would have missed it. Good luck and think positive!
  • Options
    Congrats kndertchr! I'm currently 8 weeks pregnant doing it as a single mom. Once I switched donors it happened on the first try with no meds. Sometimes the donor is the problem.

Poppyqueen - My doctor told me only to test for ovulation at night. I wouldn't drink for a couple of hrs before bed and then I'd test.

Once I had the "happy face" I'd walk in to hte clinic the next morning and by 9:30 they were doing the IUI.

I had 2 IUI's within 2 days and that seemed to have done the trick.

This is after 1 failed IUI and a round of IVF with a different donor.

Good luck to all!

Going through some major morning, afternoon and night sickness. Not fun but all worth it.
  • Options
    Hi nbound72! I have been reading your posts. Congrats to you! Seems like the earlier the IUI is done the better. I don't feel anything yet, but it is sooo early, only 2 weeks since the IUI.
  • Options
    Congrats kndertchr!! That is great I got my BFP on the first try as well and am now in my 17th week. I hope you enjoy your pregnancy.
  • Options
    In my 2ww on my first unmedicated IUI -- reading this definitely keeps my spirits up! :)

Congrats!
  • Options
    WHAT IS BFP ??? I know its something to do with positive preg results ?? I think ??
  • Options
    "big fat positive" -- I think.
  • Options
    Congratulations! I too, was 39 and had my first IUI take. Your post brought back sweet memories for me.

ENJOY the ride (SLEEP, especially) while you can. :D

Good luck everybody!
  • Options
    Congratulations! This is giving me hope, as I am a single person using donor sperm and am 40. I am praying that mine take on the first try too!!! Wonderful!
  • Options
    Hi Girls,

I have been reading your posts and they are very encouraging. I am a 39 1/2 year old single mom to be (eventually) :) and am curious about the OPK's..my doc tells me to start testing on day 10 after my period but is it day 10 when you first start very mildly spotting or when Mother Nature turns opens the "flood gates"? LOL! :-)
  • Options
    Hi Claudia,
    I start counting from the day that my period is normal, i.e., regular flow. I don't count the first day when all I'm doing is spotting. The nurses at my fertility clinic told me that's how I should start counting. Bur, if you're unsure, you can always start a day earlier. I'm sure others on here will chime in if they think I am incorrect.
  • Options
    I was wondering the same thing?? It seems like it takes me at least two day to have a regular flow. I just count from the first day to be on the safe side !!
  • Options
    Yes, I started on day 9, and I had a 7 pack of OPK's. On day 14 I ran out of tests so I had to buy another pack and the first one I used was positive. My suggestion is just get the pack of 14 or 28 tests and close to day 14 test in the a.m. and p.m.