Options

Understanding Clomid?

Happy New Year to all!

I am hoping to find some information first hand on the use of clomid. My question is:

Is it imperative to take clomid before an IUI using frozen sperm?

I have been tracking my BBT for over two years and I ovulate on average, day 17 of my cycle.

My first IUI was done with frozen sperm all natural, with no success.

Second go round, My Dr. suggested clomid and I took it day 5-9. Once again .... no success. :(

I was unable to take the clomid during this last cycle and am on day 13. I was planning on clomid day 3-7, ultrasound day 14, and trigger shot once the follicle size was right. I did not take the clomid but am hoping to still go ahead with the ultrasound and trigger.

Any suggestions or advise on the clomid factor and rates of success? Does it matter if I ovulate on my own, that I don't take clomid?

Thank you for what ever advise you can offer....

BABY DUST TO ALL!

Comments

• Options
    I guess it depends why you're taking Clomid. My RE tried Clomid for me because my eggs weren't maturing enough. The clomid was supposed to help my egg mature. I overstimulated and almost had octuplets, so I am now doing injectables, which they can control the dosage a lot better.

There are many reasons why you could be taking Clomid though. I guess you should ask your doctor what purpose it serves. If you are doing ultrasound to check follicle size it will tell you if your follicles are mature enough to go ahead without the clomid. Some people take Clomid because they don't ovulate at all without it. I'm sure there are many other reasons.

There are many people who do IUI without meds with success. So you just need to find out exactly why your doctor put you on it. My doctor would not do a cycle without meds because he knows my eggs would not mature enough. He is obsessive compulsive and wants everything PERFECT before he will do a cycle. Because of this it took me 8 months before he would do the first IUI, however it was successful on the first try (ended in miscarriage). But I'm sure it was successful partly because he made sure everything was perfect.

Best of luck!!!!!!
  • Options
    Thank you Becky! I do not think that my regular doctor suggested Clomid for any other reason other than the fact that my first IUI was unsuccessful. We did no ultrasound and just took an OPK and then did the IUI based on my surge.

So, as far as that goes, no medical reason really determined my need for clomid. My second try I took 50mg of clomid and still no success. This time I am considering doing just an ultrasound to see if my eggs are doing what they are supposed to before I start popping pills again. Only one more shot.... I want to do it right this time. But I guess its kind of like playing the lotto...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss but have faith your little one will arrive someday soon... Sounds like you have a great Doc!