Options

Second Parent Adoption

I live in a state that does not allow second parent adoptions. My wife and I want to do a parenting agreement so that we both of the same legal rights to our children. Have any of you guys done that? Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    My wife and I registered as reciprical beneficiaries with the state, did a parenting agreement that we notarized, wrote up a living will, did a Power of attorney for child care, health care, etc.

We wrote up a parenting plan regarding how we would raise the children. Mentioned religion, schooling, etc. Agreed on types of discipline. Where family holidays would be done, etc. Wrote it all out and then had it notarized.

Had all of our "ducks in a row" so to speak. Now we are in the process of doing a second parent adoption (they allow it here in certain counties). We just started the process and will see what happens from here.

Fingrs crossed that this will go through!
  • Options
    Hello! How do I find out if my state allows second parent adoptions for same sex couples?
    I live in GA.
  • Options
    mzkat - It is unclear whether Georgia does second parent adoptions. I did find an article however that would lead one to assume that at least one second parent adoption has been granted there.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/ga-supreme-court-wont-hear-suit-to-overturn-lesbian-adoption.html

Good luck and I wish you the best.