Options

3 failed IUI. Fighting with insurance to pay for IVF

Hi ladies
I am 39 years old & I started the whole process last year. I have had 3 failed IUI with Clomid. Now, I am going back & forth with the insurance, trying to get them to pay for IVF. I feel like I will never get to be a mom. I am losing faith at this point & do not know what else to do. Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    Hi There,

My recommendation is if you can, find a way to do IVF, even if that means that insurance might not cover it. IUI is very iffy and you are risking multiple eggs being released (some of which might not be optimal). A miscarriage would be worse. I am in my early 40's and used IVF where through injections, they were able to generate multiple eggs and pick the best ones to fertilize. I waited for the best embryos to grow for five days to blastocyst and then sent them to lab for genetic testing. Yes, it was expensive but it was worth it. The genetic testing lab was able to tell me which embryos were normal and safe for IVF transfer. If you really want to be a mom, then I recommend you follow this path because the last thing you probably want is to get pregnant and find out your baby is not viable or have a miscarriage that could cost you your ovaries or life.

Hope this helps... God bless and stay positive and healthy.
  • Options
    Thank you so much, mom2be & congratulations!!!! When are you due?
  • Options
    Hi S -

You may also want to check out some resources provided by RESOLVE for IVF grants and scholarships:

http://www.resolve.org/family-building-options/making-treatment-affordable/infertility-treatment-grants-and-scholarships.html

You can try researching IVF financial assistance for your state or any grants or special programs for specific fertility clinics near you.

There may also be some assistance for covering fertility drug assistance.

This non-profit provides tips on how to talk to your insurance provider about fertility coverage and dealing with appeals: http://www.fertilitywithinreach.org/communicating-with-your-insurance-provider/

I'm not sure if any of this helps, but I just wanted you to know that there are organizations and resources out there to help you navigate this difficult process.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    Nicole,

Thank you so much for the information. I am checking out the links right now. Hope one of them pans out :).
  • Options

1000% agree with Mom2Be. I'm so grateful that my doctor advised me to just go straight to IVF. Yes it, more expensive but I don't know if I could have handled the emotional expense of repeated failed IUI attempts. I did exactly as Mom2be suggests. 12 eggs retrieved, 11 inseminated, 9 progressed and only 1 was viable for transfer. If I had just gone with IUI, or if I hadn't genetically tested them, it would have been miscarriage after miscarriage to the point I likely would have just given up.

Luckily, the 1 took. I'm going back to my doctor in a couple weeks to talk to him about my chances for another. My guess is not good given the previous experience. We shall see.

• Options

Hi Sundays Mom,
    Unfortunately, I went through 5 IUI failures and while my insurance does not cover IVF, I've decided IVF is my best option. Payment is tough but slowly, I am getting thru it. Some doctors are good and let you pay as you go. Some even order meds from overseas, which are cheaper.

After so many failures, my spirit was so broken but my great family supporters picked me up. I know even IVF can fail but I am praying and hoping my fertility failures are behind me. Don't lose faith. Keep pressing on the best you can. Hopefully soon, you and I, among others will be talking about our due dates. Hang in there.

• Options

Hi Beginner,
    Thank you for the encouragement. Payment is definitely tough. I decided to go through IVF and I am doing egg retrieval this weekend. Luckily the insurance is paying for about half but I have to pay for the rest myself and after it all said and done, I will spend about $17,000.00 including the 2 vials of sperm and not counting the co-pays. Best of luck to you as well. Sincerely, Sunday's Mom.