Options

older moms

Merry Christmas!!
I am 42 and just starting this journey. I found this website from the UK which shows older moms who are famous. So, at least we know it is possible:)
Thanks to everyone who shares on this forum from their heart with their experience & hope....It's really great!!!
Christmas Blessings & Baby Dust to you all (*.*)

http://www.mothersover40.com/celebrities.html#anchor_83

Comments

• Options
    Hi Stargazer7
    I am also 42 and am 7DPIUI on my 4th attempt. I'm a bit frustrated and concerned because my RE clinic doesn't seem to give me much personal attention. It's sort of a factory with set protocols and not much additional info when I ask. I don't want to use clomid and force my body to do something it no longer wants to, but I'm wondering if maybe I should rethink that. I'm also a single mom and concerned about having twins. I don't think I could handle that alone. What is your plan?
  • Options
    Hi Mariposa2001,

I am just starting this process...I have my first RE appt. in 11 days, so you are WAY ahead of me.

Have you tried any natural remedies? I am taking vitex, EPO, wheatgrass, and change in diet. I can already tell a huge difference. One thing weird that's happening, is I feel like I'm getting AF alot (kinda that crampy feeling)but I don't, it just feels that way.... plus LOTS of cervical mucous (hope that's not too much info) LOL

I am kinda nervous about my appt. I did have an appt. with another RE but I canceled. I felt like it was an "assembly line" type place, very cold and very demanding. Just by coincidence, I talked with someone who highly recommended another place so I am going there. Already, they are so much better than the other place in my initial contacts.

Do you know of anyone that might recommend another place, if you don't feel comfortable. I am also changing my gyn too. I've gone to her for years, but she was negative toward me about my being pregnant at 42. so I found another ob/gyn who is very positive.

You need to do what's right for you, and what you're comfortable with. I truly believe its important for Mommy to be happy :) LOL

Blessings & Baby Dust! (*.*)
  • Options
    Hi Stargazer7

Good luck and don't worry about your appt. Seems you already know that you have to approach this openly and looking for the best for yourself. So you're simply fact finding and getting a sense of the place/doctor. I was in tears my first appt because I was still struggling with the emotions of doing this on my own and at 42 - not at all what I had expected for myself. The RE was very supportive and understanding and made me feel very comfortable. That's why I chose them. But now I'm wondering if he just told me what I wanted to hear and now is basically ignoring my case. I never see him unless I request a consultation.

I'm working with a wonderful acupuncturist who has had me on a very specific fertility diet since the spring. Doing this on my own, I get easily overwhelmed by the alternative options and what I should/n't try so I'm basically sticking with her advice. It's so much to think about!

What's AF? I have always gotten lots of great mucus. Makes me wonder if I should try ICI instead...My RE disregards mucus and bbtemp as fertility indicators. Are you planning IUI or IVF?
  • Options
    Thanks mariposa2001 for the kind words. I have thought seriously about acupuncture, but haven't done so yet. The closet one is about 60 miles away, plus I'm a little chicken about those needles (although I'm not closed to the idea)

Sounds like you have a good plan from your ac. I can relate to the overwhelmed feeling...I'm just trying to take it a day at a time. however, the more I read everyone says, "take this...take that..." can be overload sometimes :)

AF is Aunt Flo or your menstual period. This link has a list of the accronyms (I had no idea what everyone was talking about till i found this:)

http://www.ivfconnections.com/acronyms.htm

I have read that the extra mucus means you are ovulating. I plan on doing IUI first although I guess the RE will have their own ideas....just have to wait and see.

Good luck on your decision about the RE.
  • Options
    Ooooh, now I get it. Knew it had something to do with menstruating!

I'm a recent convert to acupuncture. The needles can be scary at first, but the overall sensation is very relaxing. I feel practically high when I walk out. Where are you located?

You might want to check out Scott's reply to my posting on "ask calif cryo.." It's the "Over 40" thread. He also answered some questions for me on the two threads just prior to that one. All related to older mom issues. I think I really need to start rethinking my ideas of IVF if I want to get pregnant.

We'll see. Testing Thursday.

Good luck
  • Options
    I guess I'm the oldest at 43, and single, no partner, it's scary, but exciting and feel happy I'm pursuing this. Not sure if I'll get pregnant but I won't have any regrets for at least trying, my first IUI is this Friday /Sat. Never been pregnant or ever tried so we'll see.

I also had oby gyns and an RE who were negative and generating no positive aurao (spelling?), found a more supportive RE, it makes a world of difference for me.
    good luck everyone!
  • Options
    I'm joining the club too ladies! I will be 42 next month. I have a terrific clinic I am working with. I'm playing the hurry up and wait game if you are familiar. Just found out I have a uterine poloyp so I need to have a D&C on 2/24. Then we will start the fertility medications and hopefully be able to attempt the first IUI in March but probably April more realistically. I am also single, no partner. Sui I feel exactly as you do. I no it is not the ideal situation starting a family without "the man" but I don't want to be 50 and regret not having tried!
  • Options
    Hello, All- I am 40, and I just had my first insemination on January 29. I had a positive test on Valentine's Day and I got the official word from my Doctor's today, after taking a blood test yesterday. To hear them say, "You are pregnant" after only one round felt like a miracle. It can happen for those of us who are a little older, and it can happen quickly. See my post under "Single Mothers" for more details.
  • Options
    congrats TracD!
  • Options
    Wow, congrats,TraceD! That certainly hasn't been my experience, but stories like yours are inspiring.

I'm almost 40 and just about to switch (probably) to IVF because I haven't been able to get pregnant via IUIs. 5 so far, plus 1 ICI, and tried for several months with my husband. I think age is a barrier, but I'm hoping that with a little help, it's one that can be overcome.

--CSS
  • Options
    Congratulations TracD...so good to hear. Thanks for sharing.
    Best of luck!
  • Options
    hi Trace D
    I got my BFP this past wed from my dtr, I am pregnant also after my only 1st IUI and round!! I'm also in my 40's and single mom, no BF or husband. I'm hoping for just one baby, I had 3 eggs after the clomid.

Congrats to you and continued positive thoughts to others!!
  • Options
    Thanks for everybody's good wishes. Sui--how wonderful for you. I hope everything goes well. Looks like we are nearly on the same time line.
    CSS--I hope that age does not prove to be a barrier and you find success soon. What I am finding is that the age concerns do not stop once pregnant. Now I am onto other concerns, like the various risks of pregnancy at 40. All I want is to carry to term and have a healthy baby.
  • Options
    Trace-how are you feeling? I'm at middle of 6 weeks and so far no nauseu or monring sickness, just random tired days.

And you! we are the same age range, I'm 43, do you have a partner, I don't, couldn't find a BF or hubby so went solo..

the reality of all this feels scary and overwhelming at times especially on a tired day. but on a good day, i don't feel pregant and get thru a normal day...

my email is srcj1018@aol..would love to keep in touch with someone around the same stage and age to support each otehr...eating enough veggies, dairy servings...please write!!! sui
  • Options
    stargazer- how are you, what is the next step for you if I may ask? hope things are moving towards an IUI soon! I'm in the middle of my 1st trimester....one day at a time...
  • Options
    Hey sui,

Great to hear from you....Congrats on your good news! Awesome, and on the first try. That gives us other "over 40s" so much hope! I can relate to your feelings (1 day great, next day not so great) and I'm not even close to where you are yet. Sometimes I can get really overwhelmed thinking about it, then I think, "hey, women have been having babies throughout time, in all kinds of situations and years ago its wasn't even thought of as unusual for women to have kids in their 40s or 50s so that kinda keeps me feeling ok and upbeat. I read an article the other day that women who have kids in their 40s live longer...that's good news!!

I haven't been posting much. I am kinda in limbo right now, but I'm continuing with my protocol....lots of veggies, water, super greens (guess I'm eco-friendly now!) One thing I'm tickled about is my BBT has changed from the last 2 months where I only had two days after my thermal shift of over 98 degrees (sign of low progesterone) to this month where this morning was my 7th straight day of temps over 98 (whoohoo). All these greens(wheatgrass, spirulina, etc.) must be doing the trick. So I'm doing that plus baby aspirin, and a few other things. I'm also really working on positive meditation and visualization (and de-stressing) which I think is important for me.

Right now I'm looking at Aug. for the insemination but I am thinking about going ahead with my first RE appt. just to see where I stand. I hate to admit but I STILL cannot decide on a DR. I keep thinking I will just know, but I need to just pick one and go with it. I guess I kinda wanted to see if this natural protocol would help me before I go to a DR. I also had a situation (school grad) that I really needed to finish up before I got pregnant because I knew if I had 2 major life things going on at the same time I would get super stressed out:) and that will be finished in July so that is kinda my plan.
    Best thoughts and prayers and super duper hugs and best wishes to you and your little bundle (*.*)
  • Options
    here is that article...

http://parenting.families.com/blog/study-says-older-moms-live-longer
  • Options
    I had 2 RE's, the 1st one was too negative for me, the 2nd one, more positive. I would suggest seeing a RE and picking one, they want to do certain tests and some can only be done around your cycle and that means waiting time. If you are planning for Aug, please see the dtr to get started, you can always continue your current natural program. Hope this helps!!
  • Options
    thanks sui...that is good to know and it helps alot. I've been praying about it, and I feel pretty good about the dr. However, like you said, if it doesn't work, I can find someone else. I think the thing is to get started!
    Best wishes to you!