Options

do all singles use a RE for their doc?

I'm starting my journey toward becoming a SMBC, and there's one issue I'm embarrassingly confused about... I'm probably toward the younger end of ladies taking this path (late 20s), and as far as I know I have no fertility problems. I'm also healthy overall - at a 20 BMI, and don't take any medications.

In a case such as mine, is a reproductive endocrinologist the type of doc one typically turns to for insemination? Is there a different type of doc people tend to use or are REs it?

Comments

• Options
    My OB did not do inseminations so I had to use an RE. I'm not sure if some OBs do do them so maybe someone else can answer that... I think REs are set up for storing vials and things like that so they are commonly used.

Also, another consideration is that some insurance will only pay for inseminations if you report having fertility problems. Good luck!
  • Options
    My gynecologist retired his OB practice some years ago so I had to look for another doctor.

Like you, I don't have fertility problems, that I know of. And it's very hard to get an appointment to see the RE's in town. So I went with an OB/GYN that does inseminations.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I went to an RE at 29 because I needed to coordinate treatment of fibroids with ttc. I also would have had difficulty finding an OB/GYN in my part of the world who would do IUIs on a single woman. In fact, the clinic I went to had only changed their policy to allow treatment of single women the year before, because of my RE, who was new to their practice.

In a lot of places, OBs and even midwives do IUI. I say, if you can save time, money or emotional energy by starting with a less specialized, more accessable provider, go for it.

The usual advice given to 20 somethings who have unlimitted access to fresh sperm is to go to an RE after 12 months of trying without results. However, rather than throw good money after bad, I would seek help if nothing happens in about six months.
  • Options
    Thanks. That clears up a lot for me. I think I'll try to get an appointment with an RE then.

Home insemination would probably be my first choice, actually, if ICI was available with my donor, but only IUI is, and I'll be damned if I'm going to work out home IUI. My insurance doesn't cover this, and at the amount that the vials cost, I think I might as well shell out the extra to have an expert do the insemination.
  • Options
    I use an RE,and I'm single. I knew I would need help because I have irregular periods...come to find out I have PCOS. I had a boyfriend that I lived with a few years ago, we never used protection and never got pregnant. He now has three kids. Anyway, I've done 7 IUI's, I'm in the tww. It was funny because insemination landed on my birthday (Nov 4th). Good luck to you all!
  • Options
    I have just started looking through the different data-bases (cryobank, Cryogenic , fairfaxcryobank).

It feels over whelming! Any of you have experienced with any of this different sperm banks or others? my doctor recommends anyone of these.

When i read about the different donors, its very dry to read. It feels cold to just read the profiles. (like, eye color, hair, job, etc) i know there is a lot more info on the donors now then years before, but it seems so hard to go through the process and still not know who i am getting. It scares me. Have anyone of you have also experience this feelings?
  • Options
    Hi! Where I live there is only one RE. No OBs in the area do insemitations. After researching the RE and finding out how expensive he is, I decided on a different route to start as I didn't have known fertility issues. Always been regular, etc... I'd also been a bit frustrated when I asked my OB to run basic hormone level blood tests. He said "you are healthy, go get pregnant". UGH! To say the least, I am now looking for a new OB but won't get in there till late December.

For now, I ended up going through a midwivery clinic in the next town over. I'd heard they had done IUI there, and while I haven't gotten pregnant (only tried twice so far) I have been happy. They spent 2.5 hours in my initial appointment, doing history, background, and yes running those blood tests, at their suggestion.
  • Options
    Hi Saoirse8 -

My choice was driven by my having frozen my eggs at age 34 with an RE. I went back to her this year (I'm now 38) for advice on how much time I had, and we discussed my options. I have a tilted uterus, so a home IUI would have been *impossible*. I did not like any of the donors for whom home insemination vials were available, so my choice was readily made for me :P

One tip: when you do find a doctor to assist you, ask them how many vials they would like at a time. My RE was very experienced with CCryobank, and they expressed a clear preference for 2 vials of premium material for each insemination attempt. That will help you plan your ordering appropriately. My own donor sold out within 4 months of my starting the IUI journeys, and if I had to do this over again, I would have ordered double for reserves (future siblings).
  • Options
    Hi ladies, I did get my BFP last Friday. I did Follistim/prometrium cream with one vial. This was try number 7, I only have one vial left. After I have my 1st u/s I will buy more(waiting to see if I have more than one fetus)because I had three eggs this time. Good luck!