Options

Size of tank

How many liters of liquid nitrogen do the tanks hold?

Comments

• Options
    It depends. The tank basically has a big sponge sealed between the walls that absorbs the liquid nitrogen prior to packing the vial. The vial is actually kept frozen by the vapor from the sponge. This way no liquid is used in the shipping process for safety purposes. It takes 12-36 hours to recharge a tank depending on how "dry" it is when you begin.

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Since I live in Boston, we're planning to store the purchased donor sperm at the local office in Cambridge. Once I know the date for to schedule the IUI appointment, would I just come pick up the vials that day and bring it to my doctor appt? Wondering how big the tank with 1 vial would be? I'll be taking public transportation and am just curious what to expect. These logistics will get interesting, I expect.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi Mmm -

Our vial inventory is stored at our headquarters in Los Angeles, so the vials still need to be transported to your local branch. I would suggest calling Client Services at least two weeks before your insemination to purchase the vials and schedule the transfer to the Cambridge branch. (The transfer is free with the purchase of 5+ vials.)

Once the vials are at the Cambridge facility, you can call and schedule the pick-up. It's important to give at least 24 hours notice so they have enough time to prepare the tank for you. The pick-up tanks weigh about 10 lbs and have a handle at the top.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    Hello Scott,
    Once the tank is picked up how long will the vial stay frozen in the tank?
    Thank you, Sarah
  • Options
    Hi Sarah -

The pick-up tanks are validated for 5 days.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    Thank you Nicole
  • Options
    Those tanks at the LA office are huge.