Options

Trying to figure out the timing of insemination

I am confused by the literature on this topic. On the one hand, I've read that frozen sperm only lives 12-24 hrs after thawing. On the other hand, the ovulation kit test indicates that ovulation will occur 24-48 hours after the first positive test. However, a lot of what I am reading says to inseminate immediately upon the first positive LH test result.

Based on the information about frozen sperm life span, it seems to me that the sperm would likely be dead before ovulation if we inseminate immediately. Does anyone know something I don't about any of this?

Comments

• Options
    mackedymac,

It can be overwhelming with all of the information out there on ovulation and frozen sperm and timing of IUI. My RE has monitored me very closely with ultrasounds to help time the insemination as the follicles have to be mature in order for an egg to be released. If you're not doing ultrasounds and you are doing the over the counter ovulation predictor kit, my doctor has said to inseminate24 hours after LH is first detected. My doctor has not recommended inseminating immediately upon detecting LH as that is too soon for most women. Talk to your OB or RE and they will provide you with guidance. Yes, frozen sperm only survives 12-24 hours so the timing is very important. If you are going to an RE and your insurance will cover it, I highly recommend ultrasound monitoring, it worked for me (although I know every woman is different).I hope this is helpful. I know how hard it can be to figure all of this out.
    Good luck to you

Michelle
  • Options
    Timing is everything. Tateman's advice is very good -- discuss all of your concerns with a physician.

Often times our clients plan to do at-home inseminations only to find the process longer, more expensive, and much more frustrating than doing IUIs in a doctor's office. At the very least, you should always consult a physician to make sure that an at-home insemination is a viable option for you.

I know it all seems overwhelming. Don't worry. It will all begin to make sense once you get started. Speaking to an experienced medical professional will go a long way in helping you sort through all your questions.

Good luck,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Thanks. I will be doing an ICI at home. I'm under 35 with a very regular cycle and my primary doctor has no problems with me trying it this way.

I've discussed the timing with multiple doctors who've said different things and researched a fair amount on my own and found different things, so...I guess at this point I am just looking for more opinions, as if that will really help (lol).

Thanks again.
  • Options
    The good news (and sometimes the bad news) is that there is no shortage of them out there. :-)

In all seriousness, I would highly recommend a practice run before the actual insemination (especially if you are using a cervical cup). It can be a little tricky and the last thing you want is an expensive "spill" or other unforseen accident.

Good luck!

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Scott,

Thanks. We've actually done this before with a donation of fresh sperm. We did three at home insemination's with a needless syringe and were successful! Unfortunately I miscarried just a few weeks into things. It has been almost a year though so perhaps we'll do another practice run.

I know the vial is very small - can you tell me what size syringe is appropriate for getting the sperm out?
  • Options
    Hi Mack -

I don't know the actual size, but it is very small. I believe you can find them online, but I don't have a specific source for you. Perhaps one of the other readers has a website to direct you to?

Good luck!

Scott
    CCB