Options

Could someone explain the difference?

What is the difference between IUI ART and IUI Premium? Which one do I or should I get? Thank you in advance. :)

Comments

• Options
    mommy87,

Here's a link that may help answer your question:
    http://www.cryobank.com/How-It-Works/Specimen-Processing/A-R-T-Vials/A-R-T-Vials-FAQs/

If you are doing an IUI, then I'd say an IUI Premium would be your best bet.

Take care!
  • Options
    Thank you for clearing that up! :)
  • Options
    Thanks tj. I love it when you guys pitch in to help the newbies.

ART vials are only intended for use in an IVF procedure. They are not meant for IUI or ICI insemination.

:-)

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    No problem Scott :) I was a newbie myself and know the value of others helping me out through this process.
  • Options
    Another question. ICI premium can't be used for IUI right? Or am I wrong? I keep trying to find information on ICI and IUI and I can't find any. Am I missing it?
  • Options
    Hey Mommy87,

That is correct, ICI cannot be used for IUI.

IUI goes through a special washing process that is ONLY good for IntraUterine Insemination (that's what IUI stands for). It's done by way of a catheter up thru the cervix into the uterus...done by a doctor, obviously.

And, ICI stands for IntraCervical Insemination which can be done at home without a doctor (i.e. the turkey baster method but it's not recommended to use an actual turkey baster). The ICI doesn't go through the same washing process as IUI vials.

Though, I suppose you could order ICI from the CCB and then your doc could wash for you and you could use for IUI. But I'm not positive on that...

Hope that is helpful!
    Good luck!
  • Options
    I am so confuced by reading those discussion. I have been having IUI several times now. Soemtimes, I bought ICI, sometimes, I bought IUI and My nurse suggested me to buy ICI at the begging. She said ICI is cheaper than IUI and when Vials arrived, they have to wash them anyway.
    The key point is whatever my vials (ICI or IUI) are, the doctor seemed all are fine with it.

Please, I am stressed now. If I am having IUI, shall I buy ICI or IUI? How mater is it?

Thanks everyone!!!
  • Options
    I have bought both for types. My RE's lab washed the ICI vials that I used for $100. It doesn't matter if you are using an RE if it's ICI or IUI.
  • Options
    I've mostly purchased IUI vials...3 out the 11 were ICI just because it was cheaper at the time.
  • Options
    Mulan,

My RE said that I can buy ICI or IUI vials for an IUI. The difference is that ICI vials are unwashed and IUI vials are washed. If you are having an IUI they will need to wash the sperm so if you buy ICI then it will have to be washed by your RE. Some REs charge to wash the sperm, mine does not. My RE said if ICI is available to buy that because it is cheaper and they will wash it for free before the IUI. She also said if only IUI vials are available then get those.

So don't worry you can buy either type, ICI or IUI.

I hope that helped put your worries to rest.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your input. I want to clarify a few things:

1. ICI vials can be washed and used for IUI procedure.

2. IUI vials are pre-washed, and should never be washed again by your physician. If you RE is washing an IUI vial it will not be covered by our guarantee. There is no reason to wash an IUI vial.

3. Most physicians charge a washing fee, so you are likely to ultimately spend more on an ICI than the more expensive IUI vial.

4. CCB does our IUI washes pre freeze, meaning you are likely to get more sperm than a post-thaw ICI wash since the wash will eliminate some of the good sperm.

5. The Density Gradient washing method CCB is one of the most popular sperm washing methods. This is because it also works to separate dead sperm cells, white blood cells, and other waste products from the sperm.

A test tube is filled with multiple layers of liquids of different densities. Semen is then placed on the top layer of liquid and the test tube is spun in a centrifuge. After it is spun, active, healthy sperm will make their way to the very bottom layer of liquid in the test tube, while debris and dead sperm will get caught in the top two layers. These layers can be siphoned off in order to remove the active sperm from the test tube.

6. If your physician insists on doing his/her own wash, ONLY order ICI vials.

Thanks again to everyone,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Dear All,

That is very clear, I have no worries now.

Many thanks to everyone's support and good luck to everybody to reach their dreams.

As soon as I have good news, will share with you all.

Best Regards

Mulan
  • Options
    Best of luck!

:-)