Options

Find out exactly when you ovulate.. Our journey to BFP

Hi,
Fist I apologize it's long but I think it's food for thought.

So I've been chatting with ladies who have been trying to conceive too.. I shared with her my thoughts and told her not to give up. Some were sad that it was their 3, 4 or 5th time so I told them about us.

This is why I decided to write this post.

We started our first iui on sept 2012.
Here we are, 18months later 9th try..
19 vials. A total of 6 iui and 3 Ici at home and 2 donors..

Conception is all about the perfect timing for the sperm to meet and fertilize the egg right? It only takes one sperm.

This is what worked for us twice.
Our Doc made us go the day after :) our surge. For us is cd 16 and 17 Why? Well because your egg drops 24- 48hr after the surge. If you google and have all the apps. It says your most fertile days to conceive is the day of :) to 2 or 3 days before. Why?
Well when the male deposits the sperm in the cervix (same as Ici at home) well it takes a couple of days for the sperm to travel from the cervix, past the uterus and into the fellopian tubes to fertilize the egg. It all depends on how slow or fast the sperm swims 'mobile'. By the time the egg is released the sperm will be closer. Fresh sperm last 3 4 days max, to do this long journey. By the time you have :) 'ovulation surge' the sperm is there to fertilize it. Research say 24-48 window but every one is different.
Now when is your window? When does it open and closes? That's what you need to find out. We did.
Of course this is for couples who can have sex anytime they want.. Not the case here, it's either couples with issues or samesex couples. This is emotional and quite expensive.. For us, having a child has no price.

Now, thawed 'frozen' sperm has a much shorter life span, but they have a much shorter distance to travel. They live on average 12-24hr, some say 48. Washed sperm can live up to the 48 hrs...So it's all about having the sperm there right when your body releases the egg. They say you drop the egg '24 to 48 hr' that's true but it depends on the woman. It can be within the first hr. Or the last.

Checking when you ovulate.

The test tells you to test with morning pee.. Now on day 14 you pee and you don't have :), so you pee on day 15 and there it goes :)
So you go do iui on cd 16 and 17.

But what if you ovulate in the pm? Or afternoon? I told my partner.. To start peeing morning and then in the pm. We started tracking her cycle 6mon before our first iui and
A year of tracking her cycle, I knew her period came on day cycle 28 in the early afternoon, around 5 6pm. And for those who are regular, well it's easy.. Now we tested ovulation in the am and after work, around 7pm and of course she ovulated 'big fat' :) on cd14 in the pm.

Now think about this, you only test in the am.. That means you test cd 15. And got that :). You call doc and go do iui cd 16 and 17, some do it on 15 thinking that's when they :) but in reality you're losing a 12hr window.
We were iui cd 16 and 17 according to the procedure but for my wife that was 24hrs to 48hrs to late as she ovulates on cd14 around 6pm.
And if the egg drops within the first 12hrs.. The egg is long gone and if it get fertilized it's a bit to late. The doc told us, the egg wasn't rip enough.. How do you check how rip your egg is? I think it's time.. It fertilized to late. Look at the videos of fertilization it has to become a zygot in Oder to implant, if it's not then the body passes it. What's your window? Ours is day 14 pm we got to 6 7pm..could be a couple of hr before. And our window closes cd 16 around that same time. So if we go to iui how it was told by us. Cd16 is the end of our window and day 17 it's just a waste..

Now thinking all this. The sperm has a short life and swim. you are most fertile days before or day of ovulation.. So We decided to take that chance and do it that way again with the new donor. even if she didn't have the :) in the am.
they always do the iui in the am.. We knew she was going to have the :) in the pm so sperm is there.. And in case it dies before the egg releases you have more sperm the following day. Now sperm is there whether the egg releases 12 or 24 hrs before.. The sperm of the next day is alive for another 24 or hopefully 48hr. But it's there when our window opens and closes.

Conception is all about 1 in millions sperm fertilize the egg at the right time. If egg is not ripe enough then it will not happen, if it fertilizes to late, chances the uterus will absorb it and pass it as a period..
So find out when u ovulate. It's Important :) is it on day cycle 14 15? Am? Pm? Late pm? The closer your window the better it is.

I am not a doc.. I just used my logic with all the information about conception to try to increase our chances.

Of course you need your window timing but you also need good sperm. High sperm count and mobility.
We had bad luck with the sperm count, we did it that way our 2nd iui with 12mil and got pregnant (lost it at 8weeks) we tried it again and at home but every time the sperm count was less than 5 mil per vial and mobility about 50 60.. We changed the donor and put a claim. With that we changed donor and decided to do it at home to see if we get lucky w this donor. We didn't.. Who know if it's timing or life span as it wasn't a washed sperm so it lives for a shorter time, we probably cooked it or still half frozen.. So we went to doc, with this donor.. We did it with our window in mind.. Iui day 14.. A shot of ovidrel for booster when she gets her :) in the pm. And round 2 iui on cd 15..
Donor sperm count first iui, 2.2mil. Mobility 90% Round 2.. 3 million mobility 80%!! Sperm count worse than our first donor.. Mobility was high though.. We were hopeful but really a long long shot! If BFN with about 8mil sperm total, imagine now? We tested 5 days before missed period. Cd 25.. BFN, we were sad.. Just waited for period to come on Wednesday in the afternoon. So Monday I broke.. I bought the clear blue test. Digital brand latest model! And begged her to pee.. So she does.. And I'm telling her to try again, and not to give up the sperm count is low and not her fault.. And she is telling me it's a waste of money and that I should try and I look 'pregnant' and kept talking and then I said 'this is broken' I can't believe it!

So sperm count wasn't. Great.. But they were quite active and did the trick.

So ladies and couples out there.. If your plumbing is working and it's all on the sperm, don't give up.. Have faith and get that window to the closest hour.. I am excited and waiting for 6weeks to see the ultrasound and pass the 8 weeks mark and the 12w which are the most important ones.. And praying that on our 9th year anniversary our baby is born healthy.. 11/19 I can't wait for this anniversary to come as I am waiting for the best present my wife can ever give me.

Best of luck!

Comments

• Options
    I just read your post and it made me so happy....it makes me somewhat hopeful.
    My journey isn't going to be easy as yours though. I have endometriosis and I recently found out that my left tube is hydrosalpinx but is OPEN thank God. Im not sure if my right tube is open because during my hsg everything spilled out on the left. So I was told that I have a little bit higher chance of getting an ectopic pregnancy. I'm still confused about when I ovulate if I do. my cycle usually is about 33 days. I was on estrogen and progesterone for about 5 months. I only had a full period in January and march. The others were light but I had all the symptoms.
    so this month I haven't been on anything because my doc told me to stop them to see if I can have a period. For 3 months I was taking ovulation tests, but I never got a positive. I was told most likely it was the hormones or I just don't ovulate. so I took tests this month during the days im suppose to ovulate, but nope nothing.
    I've been checking my CM to see how it is, and its just glue sticky stuff. Even during ovulation. I've been recently BBT and I'm still learing about that. Today I wiped and I got eggwhites and a semi positive ovulation result. I was so happy, but im on day 27 so how can that be when I usually have a 33 day cycle? My doc put me on progesterone to start my period in a week from tomorrow just in case I don't have a period.
    then he wants to put me on clomid which helps with ovulation.
    After reading your post, Im scared that the doc has a different opinion about ovulation and I'll miss the correct day for my IUI.
    What is the best way to figure this out? I can't afford to do 2 a month, my doctor only wants to do 1 a month for 3 months and if I don't get pregnant then we need to do further testing.
    Please help
  • Options
    I have been reading on this topic again and again too. Thank you for your post. To the post directly above, I don't have answers for you (or us) but know I am sending you best wishes and baby dust. :) Our RE wants us to come in on the am of the :) which I think is too early since we are using frozen donor sperm. We will have two iui this cycle. They said the egg was too small last month and we did not do an iui and are doing femara with trigger this time which will be our first time. If we get the :) in the PM then we go in the next day. I have been thinking that is great because I thought going in the same day was too early, but now I am not sure. I wonder if it is cheaper and better chances to do three iui in one cycle. I have never heard of this but I dont want to miss the window at either end.
  • Options
    Hi Sillyqueen,
    Im sorry you are having all these obstacles, well i've been tracking my period and it's all over the place! my cycles range between 29-42, but there's a pattern. I haven't done the ovulation, that will be a surprise. I have 2 friends and my aunt-in law who got pregnant having endometriosis and, be hopeful. One friend got pregnant doing ICI at home in the first try! You will get pregnant. Have they put you on Ovidrel shot? That's a shot of HCG? Try what the doctor says, I think "aassddff" has a good idea of doing 3 iuis in one cycle. I hope to hear from you and i'm sending you baby dust.

Hi AASSDDFF,
    Good luck on your first IUI!! sending you baby dust. stay very relaxed as it's a bit awkward yet exciting the first time. well I had asked our doc if we could do 3 in one cycle in 3 different days, but she told us it's a waste. But it's up to you, we financially didn't want to do it. Sending you baby dust too..

I hope you have sucessful pregnancy and keep me informed.