Options

IUI /ICI

Hello,
I have two questions. One I was wondering what are some suggestions for choosing a donor that has only ICI vials avaliable but we currently need IUI vials. Do you recommend allowing a facility to wash the frozen sperm? could this harm the sperm?
Also donor 12119, how many reported pregnacies does he have?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Gandy -

ICI vials should be washed by your physician prior to an IUI procedure. The IUI vials are ready for use after thawing (no wash). You should not allow your physician to wash the IUI vials post-thaw.

Donor 12119 has less than 5 reported pregnancies so far.

Good luck,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Hi there
    We are doing IVF with ICSI and are told we need ICI vials. We had picked three favorite donors based on a number of critical factors including having ICI available. Now suddenly (over the weekend) two of our three favorites (the only ones which meet all our criteria) are listed as only being available for IUI. Please can you help? I need to know what this means. We need to pick our donor in the next week.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Hi cay -

They will be doing a wash, so they are asking for an ICI vial. If it was a standard IUI procedure, rewashing the IUI vial could lower the total motil sperm below the recommended number.

However, since you are doing ICSI, it is ok to rewash an IUI Premium vial. You can also use either an ICI ART or IUI ART if either is available (the only difference is ART vials have less sperm than Premium vials and therefore cost less).

With ICSI, you only need one actual sperm to inject directly into the egg (as opposed to the millions normally required). Any vial will do.

No need to worry. Go with your first donor choice!

Good luck,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Hi Scott,

to add to this discussion, and because i didn't find the answer elsewhere on the blog, I was just wondering:

Can I use IUI Premium sample for an ICI insemination at home? I do not want to do this at the doctor's as yet, and the donor I chose only has IUI samples available.

If i used the IUI for an ICI insemination, are the chances of getting pregnant higher or lower? And how is the quality of the IUI sperm on average -- higher or lower than that of the ICI sperm, when ICI method is used?

Just to make sure, I am not going to do an IUI insemination at home, i know that is not possible.

Thanks,
    eKat
  • Options
    Hi eKat -

IUI vials are NOT intended for at home use. They are only meant to be inseminated directly into the uterus.

IUIs contain less sperm and have been processed to remove seminal fluid from the ejaculate that help the sperm along through the initial part of the journey. Your chances for success would be lowered using an IUI for at home insemination.

Best wishes,

Scott
    CCB