Options

At home insemination

I'm single, 40 and decided to have a baby. After research, understanding the low percentage rate due to my age, and before spending alot of money. I figure I try the conception kit at home using ICI donor sperm before spending money on more invasive treatments. Has anyone had success with donor sperm insemination at home? Let me know thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Angelina,

Congrats on starting your family! I am curious, have you consulted with your doctor, do you know what your insurance company will cover? The reason I ask is if you talk to them you will ascertain the best method to use. At first, I thought I needed to buy IUI sperm because that was the procedure that my friend used and because of my age, I'm 38, I thought that would give me the highest percentage for getting pregnant. After meeting with my doctor at the infertility clinic (I don't have any know fertility issues, I'm using them to do the insemination procedure), I learned that the clinic washes all sperm vials, so why pay more for sperm that they'll wash again?

The fertility clinic also has a financial counselor who called my insurance and got all the codes for everything that I'm planning to do. I don't have to pay for anything, just my co-pay. My insurance company will even pay for my insemination. Additionally, I plan to go through an evaluation for genetic testing (it's just taking blood work) and testing to ascertain that my fallopian tubes are open.

I know I gave you a ton of information and really didn't answer your question, but I figured I would let you know just in case you haven't counsulted with a doctor to see what your best options will be.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    I'm also 40 yrs old since last Oct. I'm in 2 WW for my 2nd IUI.

I prefer IUI over ICI, b/c even though the clinic can wash ICI vials, the sperm may lose motility much after their washing. The chance of successful ICI is not better than sexual intercourse, because only the best sperm can swim up cervical muscus to reach the uterine. Also, ICI frozen sperm can have some limitation.

Also, i agree with danimoni70, due to the age, I go with IUI. My insurance only pays for u/s and office visit. So I pay for the rest.

My firs IUI is natural, no med. 2nd IUI, I use clomid 50 mg + drinking herbs such as Wild Yam,etc..

I'm ovulated regularly and don't have any fertility issues found out so far.

God Bless Us All.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the above information. I did consult with a doctor and so far I have no fertility issues, my issue is I am single and 40. Unfortunately, my insurance does not pay for any AI procedures. So I figured why not just try my luck with ICI at home first. thanks
  • Options
    Hi Angelina,
    I am In the same boat as you. I am single, 40, and also considering an ICI for the first time. I don't plan on doing any procedures until June. Since our situaions are similar, I would love to keep in contact with you just to see how th8ngs are going. If that is alright with you then feel free to email me at dreamergirl40@gmail.com
  • Options
    I also am 40 turning 41 in May. I am on my 4th IUI my second IUI was successful but I did miscarry. I started on 50mg of clomid and a trigger shot. This cycle I am doing 150 mg and will do a trigger shot. All of my numbers were borderline. I am very lucky to have a strong network of support but am learning how to manage the ups and downs with them. It is an amazing journey.
  • Options
    It is definitely great that you have a strong team of supporters.

I plan to do my first at home insemination this week. I also turn 41 at the end of May, so hopefully I'll have an extra surprise. I will keep you posted.
  • Options
    Angelina,

Wow! Wouldn't that be the best birthday gift ever! How exciting that this could be the week that you conceive a baby!

Good luck and KUP!
  • Options
    We (a 2 mom family) did our first ICI try last night and early this AM. We use the basal therm and Clearblue Monitor. She never "peaked" but her temp rose indicating ovulation, so we tried.

Any tips? Any tricks on keeping the "goods" from leaking out when the syring is withdrawn? Her hips were elevated, but this still happened. We tried to suck it back up and use it again. I also went and got a tiny syringe for the next time, if needed :)

Thanks!
  • Options
    I tried this at home and many times at my Gyny office. I did not get pregnant. I went to a fertility clinic and was pregnant the 2nd round. I would trecommend not wasting time and money at home. They know exactly when you ovulate using ultrasound and can time everythign perfectly when you go to the Dr. It was even more precise at the fertility clinic.