Options

IVF take 2?

Hi everyone,

Before I go into my big long post - I just wanted to say how much I've appreciated this website and reading everyone's stories...really has made me feel like I'm not all alone in this.

Well, I've had 7 failed IUI - I'm 32 and the docs can't find a thing wrong with me and goodness knows they've tried!!

So, last month I moved on to IVF - well I didn't respond well to the stims.....I had over 14 follicles, but only 3 were mature after 5 days....so we converted to an IUI...BFN.

Now, they want to try a little different protocol. The first time I was on lupron, then follstim and menopur (fairly low doses150 and 1 amp). This time they want to try BCP, lupron and then higher doses of the stims. Anyone had luck with this? Their thought is that I wasn't suppressed enough - so adding te BCP will get all the follicles to grow together....that and more stims.

Any thoughts would help.

Comments

• Options
    Hi barbb,

I'm on my first round of IVF. I had 6 failed IUI's and similarly "no problems". I'm currently using lupron, bravelle (sp?) and menopur. I will let you know how things work out, I'll be getting monitored over the next 2 weeks with retrieval on Sept. 30th.

Good luck this round and KUP!

Alysia
  • Options
    Hi Alysia,

How has the monitoring been going? Are you still on track for retrieval?

I started my BCP last Weds and will be on tose for a little over two weeks - then follistim, Menapur and lupron. Retrival probably around Oct 19th.

Good luck!!!

barbb
  • Options
    Hi Barbb,

I went in for bloodwork and an u/s this morning. There are 10 follicles in there, 5 on each side! They wanted me to increase my Bravelle (I'm guessing my estrogen levels weren't what they hoped).

So far, I'm on track for retrieval on the 30th!

Good luck, and enjoy the next couple of weeks without shots!

Alysia
  • Options
    Hello my name is Kelly and I am looking into IVF I have had 7 failed IUI's so I think it is time to move on. Do you ladies have any suggestions on what I whould look for when choosing where I want to have this done? Right now I am looking at Reno's Center for reproductive medicine. They have a Shared risk program. Any info would be helpful. Thanks
  • Options
    Hi Kelly,

I had asked my ob-gyn if there was anyone they could recommend. They gave me the name of the doctor i am using. i'm in the houston area so i don't think that's going to be very helpful for you! for me, it was just a feeling that we were in the right place. i didn't do any "shopping around" for other fertility clinics.

Good luck and KUP!!

Alysia
  • Options
    Hi Alysia I actually did a lot of research on a facility in Houston, because I have family there and could stay with them during the process. I got a lot of information from CORM. It looks like a really good facility and it came highly recommended by some of my sisters friends. They actually have 100% guarenty on a take home baby with two fresh cycles. It is very expensive, but find me a IVF clinic that is not. Good Luck when are you starting the process?
    Thanks Kelly
  • Options
    Actually, I just got bad news today. I didn't respond to the meds very well so they recommended that I cancel this cycle and start over. Like barbb, I have many good folicles, but only 2-3 matured and they said there wasn't very good odds with that. So, I'll be waiting for my cycle, then BCPs for about a month and hopefully start again in November.

Out of curiosity, did you look at Houston Infertility Clinic?

Alysia
  • Options
    Alysia,

I'm so sorry - I know how much that stinks. Did they suggest converting to an IUI. I know it doesn't have great chances - but after spending all that money on meds at least it's a shot. I'll let you know how the BCP and new protocol work for me. I'll be starting lupron on Monday and taking my last BCP next THurs. Then it's only about 2 weeks till I start the stims..

I'm sooo nervous this cycle - what if I don't respond well again? Very nerve wreching. My nurse keeps telling me it should be fine - that they can't find any reason it shouldn't work and this is an aggressive cycle....but still. I guess I'm a worrier by nature.

Kelly, my Ob-gyn suggested the IVF clinic I'm at, but I suggest looking at their stats. Look at their success rates with donor eggs to compare apples to apples - otherwise you don't know what other issues were involved in the other IVFs.
  • Options
    Barbb,

They did say I could convert to an IUI, but that opens a whole other can of worms for us. This is our last vial so we didn't want to "waste" it on another IUI, because the other 5 didn't work. The doc wants to put me on max dose, with the meds I used previous to this cycle. BUT, that is going to cost another 2 arms, 2 legs, and torso. I'm so upset about this. We have spent over 30k to get to this point, and finding out the cost of this cycle may be the deciding factor to have to finally quit. Then we will have to wait another 5 years to pay off all the loans and start over.

This last time was supposed to be our last-ditch-effort, but now since we had to cancel, we are trying to scramble and come up with some way to continue. Problem is, how??

Anyway, do your best not to stress. I know it's difficult not to, but that's what we gotta do to make this dream come true for us!

Good luck, KUP!
  • Options
    Alysia,

I'm so sorry - no one is going through the exact same thing, but I certainly can relate.

The stress, money, disappointments - it's not easy. I wish there was something I could say to make it better.

All I can say is maybe this time in meant to be - that's what I'm hoping..

Barbb
  • Options
    Hello Ladies
    had my first appointment for IVF on Tuesday and I am a little dissapointed because he wants to do a few more IUI's I don't think that I am up for that, but I agreed to give him one cycle. I want to move on!!! He is a new Dr. to me, but he does not take my insurance which makes a big difference. He is the only IVF Dr. in Reno. It will cost me about $1000 dollars for this round VS $275 at my other Dr's office. What do you think? The only reason I switched was because he does IUI's. Hope all is well with you all!!! Kelly
  • Options
    Kelly,

Hard to say. The one thing I can tell you is that IVF is BIG leap. I didn't realize just how time consuming/all encompassing it would be. It's drugs everyday, and what I didn't realize is drugs 12 weeks after even if you do get pregnant.

So...if you're up for one more IUI - I'd do it.

Thngs with me are OK. I go into the doc on Thurs to make sure I'm supressed and no cysts. Then, if all is well, I start Stims on Friday. I'm still so nervous about how I'll respond. It's just making me crazy!!

Good luck with your decision.

Alysia, how are you doing?
  • Options
    Hi ladies,

I received a huge miracle and was provided the funds for meds to continue one more IVF cycle. I start BCP today and scheduled for the retrieval around Nov. 16th. So for now, it's just waiting.

Kelly, there is always the chance that the IUI will work... but there is also the chance that it will not. We decided to move on to IVF since we have already spent so much money and it made the most sense for us. You have to do what is right for you.

Barbb, what meds are used for the 12 weeks after pregnancy? Is it the progesterone? Also, good luck with your appoinments this week!

Alysia
  • Options
    Thank you so much ladies for the advice. We have decided to do at least one more IUI, and then I think we will move on.
    Alysia how many IUI's did you have before moving on??? And how many IVF cycles have you had? Kelly
  • Options
    And so the saga continues......I went in for my supression check today....I'm not supressed! My E2 came back at 100 - they want it below 50 to start the stims. So, I'm on lupron for another 3 days and go in on Sun. to have more blood work. They didn't see any cysts and I had them look at follicle number - they said there were 6 larger ones and the 6-10 smaller ones. That didn't sound great to me, but right now I guess I just have to worry about etting that E2 level down.

My goodness, I can't tell you how much I just want this to all work out!

Good luck to you Kelly on your next IUI - I really hope it works out for you!

Alysia - I'm so appy you found a way to continue! That's really lucky.

barbb
  • Options
    Kelly, we did 6 IUI's and then moved to IVF. I went almost all the way through the IVF cycle, except when it was about 3 days from egg retrieval, they decided it was not enough of a chance to be successful.

Barbb, good luck next bloodwork appointment! KUP!
  • Options
    Well, I went to the doc for the second supression check. My E2 was 95 - and they said that since it went down - I was to start the stims right away. On Thurs it was above 100, so it did go down a little, but I'm just confused because they had said before that they wanted it under 50 before starting stims.

I felt completely different this time on the lupron as well. Last time I had NO sex drive. I was pretty much dead from the waist down (sorry, TMI). But this time, I felt pretty normal - maybe night sweats last night, but even that not bad. So, maybe I was over supressed last time and this will be a good thing.

So, I had one stim shot already today. Another one tonight and down to 5 units of lupron. Hopefully it all goes well. I imagine that I'll have my first stim check on Weds - so we'll see what happens....I'll keep you all posted.

Kelly and Alysia, how are things going for you guys?
  • Options
    Every thing is fine for me just waiting to go in for the 10th day US. I have started clomid and will do injections on day 7 and 9 so we will see. I have never produced more that one maybe two at once. I will not go forward if we only have one follicle, because that is what we have had the last 7 times. My blood work had not come in by Friday so I guess if my #'s are bad they will call and cancel the cycle. Just in a waiting pattern for now. Glad to hear things are going okay for for Barbb. Keep us informed. Kelly
  • Options
    Great news!! I had my stim check today and I had 8 follicles on my right and 5 on my left. They were all around the same size and growing, E2 was 417! Last time at this point I had 7 follicles, but only 2 that looked the same size and growing with an E2 of 272. This was much, much better. The doc said at this point he'd expect to get at least 12 eggs, but since it was still early - there might be even more!

I'm sooo relieved I was so worried that after the last one was cancelled, I'd always respond badly to meds.

Next stim check is Friday then Sat, Sun and Monday. Thinking next Weds or thurs for retrieval.

Alysia - hope this makes you feel more optimistic about your next cycle.

Kelly, what happened with the follicles?
  • Options
    I am keeping my fingers crossed for you barbb. Hope everything is going good. That is a lot of eggs!!! I have not gone in yet for the ultrasound that will be on SAT. Trying not to get hopes up just want to start moving forward. We have been at this process for over a year now, so I am ready to start seeing a result. Alysia hope everything is going well. Kelly
  • Options
    Well, I had my second stim check and all is still going well. All follicles are growing at the approriate rate. My E2 level went from 413 on Weds to 1116 on Friday. They lower my dosages a little and I go back in on Sun. They even cancelled my appointment tomorrow since they were happy with the progress. All in all, Im pretty happy with the results!

I do have other news though - I had a friend tell me that she was pregnant today. She cried when she told me - saying that it just didn't seem fair after all I've been through. I felt like a big butthead....I know all this stinks, but I wouldn't want to take away one minute of someone elses happiness because this has been hard for me. Really kind of tugs on your heartstrings.

Kelly, hope you get good news and Alysia I'm thinking of you.
  • Options
    Hey Barbb
    Well we don't have great news or bad news. I only had one follicle grow, but it was a 24 1/2 cm on Tuesday morning on my left side which is very unusual seeing that I have never had a mature follicle on my left side. We went ahead with the procedure anyway so we will see I have my fingers crossed. I did have 5 follies though which I have never had so maybe they are on the right track. How are things going for you? I have my fingers crossed that you do egg retrieval and everything works out for you. I understand how you feel about your friends getting pregnant!! I have had my two best friends get pregnant while I was trying and they were afraid to share things with me. I just tell them that this is happening for a reason and when the time is right and everything is perfect it will happen. It will all be worth it. Good luck and keep us posted. KH
  • Options
    Well, I've had my retrival now. That was on Weds. They were able to get 9 eggs, which I was a little disappointed with - but all 9 were mature and all 9 fertilized! so that was great news. I just got a call today telling me that they are doing well and we're on track for a 5 day transfer on Monday! They would have done the transfer today if they didn't progress enough. So, I'll get a call back today to schedule the transfer and then I just have to wait. I'm getting soooo excited!

Kelly, any more news?

Alysia, have you started meds yet?
  • Options
    Hi Ladies,

I just signed my consent forms to start IVF. I am bypassing IUI since my RE has such a high success rate with IVF. Plus I had a few issues of my own to contend with (FSH and cyst).

I will be starting my meds in November and should retrieve in December. Yikes, I am really nervous (needles - yuck), but I have a whole month to go waiting. I will be starting BCP in November to suppress, and then the meds start. I hope everyone keeps up since this thread has been very informative to me.

Good luck everyone!

Deb
  • Options
    Hi Ladies,

Sorry I've been MIA. I was busy at work and then went on a week of vacation.

Barbb... good to hear you got 9 out of 9!! I'm curious how the retrieval felt. I'm trying not to take the next day off of work. The dr. office told me as long as I can handle the pain, I don't have to stay home. I'm still on schedule to do the retrieval on Nov. 16th.

I haven't started injections yet, I will take my last BCP tonight. Then have to wait for AF and then on the 4th I start injections. SOOOO not looking forward to that again, but with fingers crossed and prayers sent to heaven, it will be worth it. I was leaving my dr. office the other day and there was another patient there that is due with triplets around Christmas... so here's hoping for that!!!!

Kelly, how are you doing?? and Deb, welcome to this thread!

Alysia
  • Options
    Thanks Alysia! I am so glad this thread is here so we can all share stories.

Do you know what meds you are going to be taking? I have 4 on my list and am not looking forward to being a pin cushion, but in the end having a little one to call my own outweighs the shots.

I will be starting my BCP in November, wait for AF and then start my injections.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Deb
  • Options
    Hi All,

Deb, welcome to the thread!! Hopefully this info will help you out.

Alysia, the retrieval REALLY wasn't bad. I was expecting so much worse. The worst part - and even that was a cake walk...was the IV. But, they numbed my wrist before the even put it in so I barely felt it. The whole things started with them having me change into a heated hospital gown so I wouldn't get cold in a private room. Then they put the IV in - really didn't hurt (but it is a big needle...so don't look if it freaks you out). THen they brought my husband back and he sat with me while they took my temp and blood pressure. They also hooked my up to a monitor for my pulse and heart beat. After about 10 minutes the surgeon and anest. came in to say hi and see how I was doing. Then about 20 minutes later the came in, gave me a shot in my IV and asked my husband to wait in the waiting room. They brought me to the OR - and I really only remember the first minute or so in there....that shot had some good stuff in it! I woke up, and they came over and asked if I had any pain - I really didn't. So, I didn't even want the pain meds they were offering. They went to get my husband and he sat with me till they came with the egg report. They gave me some crackers and ginger ale told me I could get dress and put me in a wheel chair to go down to the car. The only other surgery I've ever had was getting my wisdom teeth out - that was 10x wose and it wasn't bad. So, really not bad. No pain meds and I was at work the next day.

I had my egg transfer on Monday. All nine eggs made it to transfer!!!! THey put two back in - I requested 3 and the doc thought I was crazy....he STRONGLY recommended just 2. So, I did two. (Also not a bad procedure). The worst part of that, was I had my leg is stirrups and people kept coming in and out of the romm....but, they gave me valium...so I wasn't that bothered. There could have been a fire and I would have been pretty calm. I found out two days later that they were able to freeze 5 out of the 7 eggs left. I thought that was pretty good.

So, now I'm waiting for "the test". It's next Weds.....wish me luck!!

Good luck to everyone. Deb, I know how you feel about the shots, but it's amazing what you can do sometimes.

Alysia and Kelly, keep me posted!
  • Options
    Barbb, that's great! I had surgery a couple of years ago for a herniated disk. I know NOTHING will ever compare to that, but I'm still a little freaked out. I was sick from the anesthesia and I think that's what I'm more worried about... Lame, I know!

Deb, I'll be on Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelex, and then Ovidrel. I have been doing injection cycles for awhile now; 5 of them actually! Talk about feeling like a pin cushion!!! They don't really hurt much because the needles are so small. It still sucks though! I will start them on Wednesday.

Kelly, how's it going??

Oh yeah, barbb, good luck on wednesday!!!
  • Options
    Alysia,

I get the same reaction from anesthesia! I always get sick, even with the "anti-naseau" pill. And the needle for the IV - yikes! Freaks me out!

I will be using Lupron, Gonal-F, then I will have a trigger shot (day 9), then they harvest the eggs. After that I will be on Estrace and Progesterone. I am worried about the Progesterone since everything I have read is that is a sore shot (apparently it is a thick oil). Very nervous, but super happy. I have never been so excited or in a hurry to get my cycle!

I hope everyone is doing well!

Deb
  • Options
    I don't know if i had the "anti-naseau" pill after my surgery. It was supposed to be an outpatient thing and I should've gone home that evening, but I couldn't hold down crackers or jello or water! I ended up staying overnight. Hopefully I will not get sick this time. I didnt when I had my wisom teeth pulled. Maybe its a different kind of anesthesia.

I did the Progesterone shot and it was a little sore, but not bad. I'm sick of shots, but almost prefer that to the progesterone suppositories... talk about yuck! I too will take Estrace after they put the eggs back. I look like a druggie with all of the pill bottles and needles littering my medicine cabinet!! I started my antibiotic today, and shots begin tomorrow.

Good luck everyone!