Options

SMBC

DoingItAloneDoingItAlone Posts: 62
edited August 13, 2018 4:50PM in Single Mothers by Choice
Donor

Comments

• Options
    I say does it really matter? Don't worry about him coming to family events, think of him as just being my sperm donor
  • Options
    I had someone ask if it was an accident, my response was I'm to grown for accidents!
  • Options
    I wonder why on earth people think they have the right to ask such a question, even if they are thinking it!! I am not a SMBC, I am in a same sex relationship and am TTC right now, but I am now wondering if this is a question people will be rude enough to ask us too!
    Congratulations DointItAlone and KBT on your pregnancies!
  • Options
    I dont think it is a rude question, I think it is quite normal for some people to think that there is a father present.

I would just answer ''there is no father, just me''. That will let them know that the father is not present, and then if they question any further it would be rude. It wouldnt matter to me if they thought it was an accident or if they suspected my best friend.

I think saying you used a donor is such an invasion of privacy... You will be the father and mother, nobody needs to know anything else. But yes I have talked to people who prefer to be clear about it with everyone.
  • Options
    I have a healthy 3 year old. I tell them I am a single mother and depending on their response I say by choice. It really will be his story at some point, but when I tell people what I did, they come and tell me they use donor sperm etc. It is an amazing world and amazing friendships.
  • Options
    I took the opposite approach. When people asked I told them I chose to use a fertility clinic. if they ask further I tell them I opted to do it alone instead of having a child with Mr. Wrong who would be constantly shuffled back and forth. People are curious and I was completely open about the info you receive on donors. I have a delightful nearly 10 month old son who has brought so much life and light into my whole family.