Options

ADHD?

I was close to choosing 11690, but noticed Adderall listed as a prescription on his long profile. This is a common drug used to treat ADHD, but this condition is not disclosed on his health history. Could you please tell me if he has ADHD? Many boys in my family have ADHD, so must have a donor that doesn't.

Comments

• Options
    Good question, Katek. I had a similar question about this donor. If I recall, the Adderall use was listed for a very short time frame, and made me wonder if it was some kind of recreational use versus prescribed use? I will be interested in knowing more about this, too.
  • Options
    Donor 11690 doe not have a diagnosis of ADHD. Like many college-aged students these days, he reported that he used Adderall on two occasions to help him focus while he was studying for exams. He does not have any medical diagnosis that requires treatment with this medication; he used it electively. We would have informed you if he had a diagnosis requiring treatment with this medication.

Below is an excerpt from an article discussing this behavior among college students. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact the Genetics Department at 1-877-743-6384. We are available from 8:00AM through 5:00PM Pacific Time, Monday through Friday.

Pamela Callum, M.S.
    Certified Genetic Counselor

Undergraduates who illegally use ADHD medication without a prescription say it’s worth the risk for one key benefit: enhancing their
    ability to study.
    In a new study led by researchers from Duke University’s Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, more than 5 percent of students surveyed reported using ADHD medication without a prescription during the past six months. Nine percent reported doing this since beginning college.
    The Web-based survey of 3,407 students was taken in spring 2007 at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and at Duke. Ninety percent of respondents who reported using the medication without a prescription during the past six months said enhancing the ability to study was the reason they most often took stimulant drugs such as Ritalin, Adderall and Concerta for nonmedical purposes. And nearly 90 percent of these students felt it was effective in helping them study.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick response, Scott. This is reassuring information.