Options

HELP QUICKLY PLEASE

so today i went for my pre-ovidrel ultrasound to see if I had any mature follicles and i do. ONE! Thats it just one and thats after a cycle of clomid. I am like good I at least have one. So I left and went shopping and they called me to come back for a progesterone level because they thought by looking at my follicle it was kinda smushy and breaking down. Also my uterine strip was not the three fold strip they like to see. So I left shopping and went back to the doctors office ( I told them that I didn't think that I had because I had been keeping track of it two to three times a day as per ual's suggestion, good idea by the way). I got my lab drawn and left. They called me to tell me that I had not according to lab results ovualated. yeah I know this. So to go ahead with my ovidrel tonight and do another cycle on thursday morning of IUI. Since my follicle looks smushy ( they said they could not tell the quality of my follicle)
and my uterine strip looks off, I am wondering if I should even go through with this. Part of me does but after last month and everything looked great what are my chances with a smushy follicle and lacking uterine strip? What would you guys do?

Comments

• Options
    I still need the help!!!
  • Options
    Its doesnt help when you get so anxious just relaxed and follow your RE orders
  • Options
    I think I would wait... sorry hon, just seeing this post now... they're saying things don't look well right now and they can't tell the quality of the follie plus your uterine strip is off? I'd take a break and go for next time... kinda sounds like heartache to come quickly to me.
  • Options
    I'd wait a month. I'm on a timeline in a sense between my age and a diagnosed infertility condition, but I still decided to skip December because it would cause too many problems at work for me to be out 8.5 to 9 months from now on maternity leave. If it's meant to happen, God will see to it that you're in better shape soon. Good luck!
  • Options
    DLM, I went in and my RE talked to me about everything and it was a go. She seemed a little aggrevated that someone told me that stuff and her words that day were, " lets get you pregnant today". She seemed confident. So now I on the TWW again.
  • Options
    Gale, I wish you the best. There's a bit of a gamble either way. I think that when it comes to your healthcare providers, you need to assess for yourself where their interests lay. I've been to some fantastic providers wherein I know that my welfare was first in their mind, but I've also been to some awful ones who've been downright abusive or who are simply indifferent to what's best for me. Only you are interacting with the providers enough to know where their focus lays and if this push forward is in your best interests.

I think it also depends on what your situation is like. For example, my doctor wouldn't have normally done the laproscopic surgeries to check for endometriosis after only two attempts with me, but when I emphasized that I could only afford two more, he decided to move ahead. It turns out that I was dealing with endometriosis, on top of PCOS, and the surgeries allowed him to clear out things and increase my odds. If I hadn't spoken up when I did, I might have wasted those last two attempts with this condition interfering.

I'm basically an advocate of stepping up and speaking up for what you feel is right for you. As long you keep doing so, I don't know that anything decision is inherently wrong.

I look forward to seeing a post from you in a couple weeks that a certain test is positive for you.

God bless!
  • Options
    Gale, one more point: My doctor mentioned that new tests show that Clomid actually reduces the likelihood of women conceiving unless other tests have shown that they are NOT ovulating naturally. Were you tested first to see if you're naturally ovulating? (I'm guessing that you probably were based upon the results that you posted here, but, just in case. . .)

I went to the Yale Fertility Center first, and they were in a rush to put me on Clomid. I didn't feel like my preferences were being respected there in a few ways, and they were definitely looking to take me to the cleaners financially as my insurance wouldn't cover the costs (I'm talking about a difference of a couple thousand dollars a month.), though, so I looked around and found another doctor with about 25 years in the field and who's done some groundbreaking research. (CC recommends him also.) He said that the most recent research is pointing away from Clomid in certain instances and that other physicians are a little too quick to put women on it, thereby reducing their chances of conceiving. (He is not making the same claims for any other drugs, incidentally.)

You can do with this information what you will, but I figure it's worth mentioning for you and any other women reading the post to take into account.

If I don't become pregnant on my 3rd attempt, I'll go for the drugs, but probably something a notch up from Clomid.

Disclaimer: I'm not a physician. I'm not claiming that what I've written applies to anyone else reading this post. I only think it's worth sharing for women who are on the line about using the drug.
  • Options
    Thanks DLM, I feel confident that my RE is looking out for my best interest. She appears to listen to what I have to say and my concerns. I talked to her about what was said prior to moving forward and the comments were that they just didn't want me to waste my money and have heartache is everything was not okay. I feel good about that. She was quick to put me on clomid but my other doctor had wanted me to do that as well I guess based on my history. We will see and hopefully I will post a BFP in a couple of weeks. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Hi DLM,
    Reading your post and wanted to ask a question...
    When I started this journey I was ovulating naturally and had been taking testes 6 months prior to make sure things were still working...Im 43 and no problem getting pregnant but had a problem keeping the pregnancy...the Dr found a problem with blood cloting, they started me on Clomid and when I went for the ultrasound I had 4 mature follicles, 2 on each side....is taht a good thing or a bad thing ??
    Thank you,

Good Luck to All !!! :o)
  • Options
    Hi Lilone035,

I honestly don't know enough to say. My understanding from what my doctor said is that Clomid might affect my ability to ovulate/conceive. He didn't say anything about it influencing miscarriages. He did, however, comment that my progesterone levels being off could be problematic with the retention, so, immediately after each insemination, he starts me on progesterone tablets. Evidently an insufficient progesterone level can result in an increased miscarriage rate, as I understand it. I want to emphasize, though, that I'm talking about what he said in relation to me and that I'm not any sort of expert in this area.

If you're uncertain about the course that your doctor is taking with you, I'd ask for a second opinion at another practice. It's what I did, and I ended up changing doctors and practices as a result. If you want something in between, perhaps going on WebMD would be a first step.

The number of mature follicles sounds pretty good from what I've seen in other people's posts, though, but, as you said, your issue has not been one of conception so much as retention.

As I understand it, we're looking at a significantly increased miscarriage rate each year after 35. I know that it's one of my biggest concerns as well.

I wish you the best with your next AI and keeping the pregnancy.

God bless,
    DLM

PS I go for my next AI Friday morning. Here's to hoping that the 3rd time is the charm!
  • Options
    Hey Gale,

How are you doing in the tww?
    Just thinking about you...
  • Options
    I hope that you're doing well, Gale. Let us know.
  • Options
    So officially I am late, AF was supposed to have came yesterday. Boobs are still sore but not as much or did I just get used to it. I am afraid to test yet, I just don't want to see the - sign. I think I might wait until this afternoon or in the morning. I am 16 DPIUI. I will keep you ladies posted.
  • Options
    Hi Gale,

Test already! You possess more self-control than I do if you're 16 days past and haven't done so yet. In fact, my doctor sends me for blood test results on day 14, irrespective of what the test says. His commentary is that many pregnancy tests (over-the-counter) can give false negatives at 14 days, whereas a blood test is definitive. (He said that false positives are exceptionally rare, though.)

We're on the edge of our seats here. . .

On my end, I went for my 3rd IUI this morning, so I'm into the two-week wait period now.

Looking forwarding to your next post,
    DLM
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

I have been enjoying reading the posts and had my first IUI yesterday. My MD wanted me to use Clomid, however, I opted against it for the first cycle. On my ultrasound apparently everything looked great and I had two eggs that looked perfect...according to the MD. So, now it's time to wait. The earliest I can test is 01/25 as that will be 12 days after my last injection of HCG. Although I am a very optimistic person, I'm not expecting it to take on the first try. I am 39 and have never tried to get preggo - so I guess you just never know.

Gale - I have been paying close attention to your posts and am very excited for you! Can't wait to hear the results.
  • Options
    Deb, at this time, I am currently two days late, boobs are still sore ( which never happens when I am going to have my period) but I started cramping last night and it comes and goes. I took a preg test yesterday and it was negative. I will wait it out. I am just not going to get my hopes up yet especially with all the cramping but I am two days late. I will keep you posted.
  • Options
    Hi Gale,

Maybe go for a blood test? Your insurance should cover it if your doctor puts in the request for one.

I was told that some cramping, and even a little light bleeding, is not unusual early in a pregnancy. A couple girlfriends, and the nurse doing my IUIs, both said as much.

I'm hoping it all turns out well for you.

God bless,
    DLM
  • Options
    DLM, I am thinking that if by in the am I have not started when I get up I will go to the office. They are open and told me I could come by this weekend should I need to. I just hate feeling silly but I am never this late. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the well wishes.
  • Options
    Hi Gale,
    My doc told me to come in on day 14 (of course given i haven't started my period). I will be the first person there on the 19th I think :)
    I started testing on day 11 last time.. I think that was too early. I'm gonna try and wait it out this time because it is so hard seeing the negative. We'll see though.. I might break down and test on day 12. My period is due to start on day 14.... so well see. I'm only 5dpiui today.
    Good luck tomorrow with the blood test. Hope you can start out the year with a BFP!
    Good luck Deb... 2 follies thats good so hopefully this is your month too :)
    Baby dust to all...
  • Options
    My friend came to see me this morning so no need for the test.

Good luck with your TWW and baby dust to all.
  • Options
    Don't give up,Gale! I wouldn't try more than 3 cycles with the same medication...the pills never worked for me. 5 cycles of Clomid (kept uping the dosage), 1 cycle Femara, and 1 blessed cycle of Follistim Injections.
  • Options
    SG i had already talked to my doctor about changing medications, so she upped my clomid, gave me Menopur and increased my Ovidrel. I am considering changing donors. Did you stick with the same one the whole time? I didn't think this would work anyway I was just upset because of the three days late thing. So how are you doing?
  • Options
    My doctor suggested it after my 5th IUI, I considered it because when I started using him he no pregnancies. As I was browsing around for another donor that I could settle for I realized the donor finally had some pregnancies. I decided to stay with my donor the rest of the way. ;) I figured that it wasn't the sperm...it was just me and I all I needed to do was overcome my fertility issues.
  • Options
    Hi Gale,

I'm sorry, but just keep focusing on next month. A change in medication may be the right track for you.

God bless,
    DLM
  • Options
    My most recent (3rd) blood test was negative. I'm only looking at enough money, and only one remaining vial of sperm, for another try, so we're going all out on the fertility meds., etc. this time: Bravel injections and ovulation stimulator, almost daily bloodwork, and the whole multiple vaginal ultrasounds bit. Please keep me in your prayers.

Where do you ladies stand these days? Share some good news, please.

DLM