Options

How many vials should I purchase

Hi,
My doc is telling me to purchase IUI premium as I am going to start with the intention of IVF and then revert to IUI if there isn't an adequate response. Do you have a recommendation on how many vials to purchase?
Thanks,
M

Comments

• Options
    Hi Mehrim -

Since you are not sure about the type of procedure, I would recommend playing it safe and purchasing extra (especially if your donor has limited vials remaining).

Typically, we would recommend 6 vials (our Family Today program) for a client undergoing IUI. On average, it takes about 4 inseminations per successful pregnancy, so 6 is a safe way to make sure you don't run out. Also, if you decide to have a second child, you want to make sure you have the vials now since your donor is likely to be sold out if you wait a couple of years between kids.

If you end up with enough eggs for the IVF and also create extra embryos for future use, you won't need all 6 vials. In that case, you can sell them back to us as long as they have not been shipped out.

Whatever you decide, you should only ship the number of vials your physician is planning to use for this treatment. The rest can stay safely in storage with us for the future.

Good luck,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Hi Scott,

You mention an average of 4 attempts for IUI. For what age group would that apply? I'm 42, what do you think I should expect as the average number of attempts? I'm on my 4th - testing on Thursday.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi Mariposa -

Age is definitely a strong factor in success rates.

If you are not successful (and the odds are unfortunately low for your age group) within the first four tries, switching to IVF sooner than later may end up saving you money in the long run. In fact, based on the odds, starting with IVF from the get-go may be to your financial advantage in the big picture.

Good luck!

Scott
    CCB