Options

cmv/lookalikes/long-ago donors

Hi, I have three questions -

First, what are the implications of using a donor who is CMV positive? Do I need to test myself to see if I am CMV positive in order to consider one of these donors? If I'm not, should I avoid these donors?

Second, I noticed that often some of the earlier donors don't have Lookalikes. I assume this is because it's a feature that was added later, but I'm wondering if it is possible to get some sort of lookalike info for these donors.

Third, if someone donated 15 or 18 years ago, is his sperm really as viable as that of someone who donated two years ago.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Hi Tara -

CMV+ simply means the donor has been exposed to the CMV virus at some point in his life and now tests positive for CMV antibodies. It is not an active infection. If a donor ever tests positive for an active infection, all his quarantined vials collected since his last negative test are destroyed. Over 50% of the adult population is CMV+. Think of it like chicken pox. Once you've had it, you will always test positive for the antibodies. It does not mean you have chicken pox or can give itt o anyone. In over 30 years of business, we have never had a report of a CMV negative recipient or their child contracting CMV from a CMV positive donor. There s no reason to be concerned about a donor's CMV status.

We try and give all available donors Look-a-Likes. It is an ongoing process. If there is one missing, simply let me know and we will get to him ASAP.

Sperm kept frozen in liquid nitrogen stays viable indefinately. 2 years or 18 years makes no difference.

Regards,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Thanks so much, Scott; very helpful. I'll let you know next time I come across one with no Look-a-Like.
    I have one more question: Is it possible to use Premium vials for ART procedures?
    Thanks,
    Tara
  • Options
    Hi Tara -

Absolutely. Since IVF procedures require less sperm than IUI or ICI inseminations, we try to offer ART vials with less sperm at a lower cost to those clients who can use them. Because ART demand is fairly low relative to IUI or ICI, we don't make as many vials, so they are not always available for all donors.

Premium vials simply have more sperm than ART vials and are perfectly fine for ART procedures.

Best of luck,

Scott
    CCB