Options

The big "O" and IUI

I've heard/read that having an orgasm after doing an ICI at home helps get the swimmers where they need to go. I was wondering if that applied to the IUI process. I know that with the IUI process that the swimmers are getting a head start, but my doctor always says "think sexy thoughts" at the time of insemination. I guess after 4 months and 6 IUIs I'm getting frustrated and trying to figure out anything I can do to up my chances. I will be using a new donor this cycle, thinking maybe the previous donor and I just weren't a good match, I even bought an ICI today for my donor and have to figure out when to get it delivered. Is there such thing as inseminating too much? I'm planning on 2 IUIs and 1 ICI this cycle (end of next week).
Any advice or stories that anyone would care to share, I would love to hear. My wife and I are wanting a baby so badly, and I want to do everything I can to improve my chances!

Comments

• Options
    I am on my 5th cycle. When I was doing clomid unmonitored with OPK I did back to back IUI's. Nothing was mentioed about having an orgasm for IUI. Are you taking fertility meds? If so my RE as well as others have confirmed that one IUI with a monitored cycle with a monitored cycle is reasonable. I am just not sure that 3 increases your chances. Have you spoken with your
  • Options
    That was supposed to say spone with your RE? I do not have ins coverage and I have been told that my chances with more than one IUI timed correctly with trigger is less that saving the vial until next time. I do wish I would have went right to a monitored cycle but i did not due to costs yet ended up spending more money if i would have just gone to a montitored cycle.

Good luck to you for a BFP this month.
  • Options
    Hill- I have been doing clomid from the very beginning. Some months, I get the "trigger" shot, and some months they have me ovulate on my own (depending on how big my folicles are when I go for the scan). I've done back to back IUI's for 3 of the 4 months. This last month (2 weeks ago) the doctor basically refused to inseminate the 2nd day because he said our timing was perfect. Yet, I didn't get pregnant. I know its probably over doing it, but I feel like how many times I inseminate is the only part of the process I have control over. I haven't heard anything about having an orgasm after an IUI but since it helps with the ICI I thought maybe it would help? I don't know, just feeling defeated.
  • Options
    slcoyle,

Keep in mind that even when the timing is PERFECT, each IUI with frozen sperm only has a 10-20% success rate... You probably have been getting the timing right even with just 1 IUI.

I realize it is frustrating and we all feel like this is going on way longer than we expected or hoped, but since you are being monitored with sonos and triggers, it sounds like there is not a lot of benefit with doing 2 in a cycle.

My opinion is when doing unmonitored ICIs (at home), 2 back to back inseminations would probably be more beneficial since you are really "guessing" even your ovulation will occur based on temps or home ovulaton kits.

My doctors have always recommended sex the night of the IUI... The way I figure it, that certainly can't hurt!

~Kimberly
  • Options
    I have to agree with kimi723.

I had read about having an O after an IUI, so that's what I had planned on doing. Like kimi said...can't hurt, right? But, the doctor had a difficult time getting the tub into my cervix, so I had pretty bad cramping during the IUI and it continued the entire day. Needless to say, having an O was the last thing I felt like doing.

So my story is that I did not have an O, but I did get pregnant on my first IUI and we are now 9 weeks along today. And, by the way...I'm 35 years old and will be 36 in June.

I'm sending you loads of baby dust! ***********