Options

Best way to unthaw sample at home?

I'm planning an ICI at home and I'm wondering about the best way to unthaw the sample.

The CC instructions say to put the vial in a container surrounded by warm water (or something like that), but I'm worried about damaging the little swimmers.

I recall a post at this forum where someone said that she simply took the vial out of the tank and let it sit on a shelf for about 20 minutes.

Anyone else?

Thanks,
CSS

Comments

• Options
    That might have been a response from me, because thats what I did when I inseminated my partner. That is what the doctor had done when she had an IUI at the doctors office and thats what the doctor told me to do at home. The doc said not to put it underneath your arm pit or in your hand because the swimmers might over heat. The doctor also said to keep the vial standing up because the way the vial thaws out (I dont remember the details of why)

Good Luck, sending LOTS of baby dust!!!
  • Options
    That was you, and I copied your initial post and saved it because you had lots of useful info. I'm still trying to square the different advice I've received about how to best unthaw the sample, but I'll figure it out.

Anyway, thanks again!

--CSS
  • Options
    I did my at-home insemination yesterday and unfortunately, it was a bit of a disaster.

I was surprised to find that there was so little sperm in the vial and I had some trouble getting it out via the largish syringe I'd bought since it didn't rise to the top. Also, the consistency was very watery, which made it difficult to control.

I managed to inseminate what little there was by pouring it into a larger container and then picking it up in the syringe, but there was barely anything there and I'm hoping the process didn't destroy the goods.

I've asked CC about it on the forum, so we'll see what they say. But judging by this experience, I wouldn't do an ICI at home again. The IUI's in the doctor's office (did two before this) were well worth the price difference!

--CSS