Options

Pre-testing before Insemination

I wanted to write a post about the medical aspect of insemination, as I posted about this in a response to someone elses post and Scott (Cryo-admin) thought it was a helpful post.

My partner and I decided to take all the necessary precautions before going in for our first IUI and this included taking a look at her uterus and fallopian tubes on a sonogram (a test alot of couples fore go) We are young and have no known fertility issues but wanted to make sure before wasting our time and our RE's time (also our $$). A week before it was time to inseminate we found out my partner had a Polyp in her uterus by having this simple test done. She had no signs or symptoms it was just by chance that we did the test and found it. A polyp acts as a "Woman-made" IUD, making it virtually impossible to get pregnant. It can be removed easily and you can inseminate the next month, as hers is all cleaned out and ready for some "bread in the oven" ;)
Here is a link to information about Polyps.
http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/aclk?sa=l&ai=B3BsCSOlNTaLnC6bJsQf4j9nGD6zrm-UBjKGOrhbAjbcBkIMZEAEYASD9jpYfKAI4AFC5haHi-P____8BYMnGq4fco5QRoAGczJPcA7IBIWNvbmNlcHRpb24taW5jZXB0aW9uLmJsb2dzcG90LmNvbboBCjIwMHgyMDBfYXPIAQHaASlodHRwOi8vY29uY2VwdGlvbi1pbmNlcHRpb24uYmxvZ3Nwb3QuY29tL-ABA4ACAagDAbADkpWgBsgDF-gDhwXoA5ED6AOuBPUDCAAAxPUDAABAAA&num=1&sig=AGiWqtwEo8710aBpYqpeGnRXR6BgM9pw6A&client=ca-pub-4805282835904454&adurl=http://www.fertilityauthority.com/diagnosis/fibroids-polyps&nm=4

I am writing this post to maybe help another person who may think to fore go this simple test on the account that they are young and couldnt possibly have a problem....you just never know and like us you could save yourself a great emotional rollercoaster.

Hope this helps, and good luck everyone on your journey to parenthood!

Comments

• Options
    Well, I had an HSG done last week and this office still hasnt faxed my RE with the results, but the Dr that did it said my tubes were open. I think most of us women would undergo an HSG before wasting money on any IUI's. It is usually recommended. Thanks for the info though.
  • Options
    I understand why you would assume that but "recommending" something isnt the same as requiring it and our RE who did the actual test said that she recommends it to anyone who comes in her office, but has worked with RE's (she is currently in an office with 5 other RE's) who only recommend them to heterosexual couples who are having trouble conceiving not necessarily Single Mothers or alternative lifestyles. Thats a perfect example of an incorrect assumption, hence the reason for my post.
    Good Luck with everything everyone!