Options

OPEN DONOR...

My partner and I had decided to use an Open Donor to just have the option open if later on in life the child would like to know more about the Donor. Probably, we going to use Donor #11331 so far. I would like to know if anyone had choosen an Open Donor and how it worked for you (the parents) and for your child. Thank you!.

Comments

• Options
    carmenroche -

Open donors can only be contacted by the child once the child reaches 18 years of age. The open donor program hasn't been around for 18 years yet, so no children conceived using open donors have actually gone on to meet their donor or have any sort of contact with him.

However, in the past when CCB has contacted an anonymous donor on behalf of an 18 year old donor conceived child, a good amount of those anonymous donors decide that they're OK with being contacted by the child itself. CCB has sold sperm from anonymous donors for 30 years.

So basically, nobody will be able to answer that question really. Not in terms of open donors anyway. The open donor program just hasn't been around long enough.

Check out this thread where Scott explains it in detail
    http://www.cryobank.com/Bulletin-Boards/messages.cfm?threadid=994EF8C4-3048-B003-6ED17E58A71BEB78