Options

How many vials on average?

My husband and I are pursuing using a donor due to complications on his end. We want 3 children total and I would prefer they all be from the same donor. About how many vials on average would you recommend to order to achieve this?

Comments

• Options
    Hi N -

That's an excellent question. For the average healthy woman under 35, it takes an average of 3-4 inseminations to achieve one successful pregnancy. We recommend 5 vials per pregnancy in this case, as most physicians use one vial per insemination. And while we always hope that you get pregnant sooner than later, 5 vials give you some security just in case it takes a bit longer, especially as you go on to have your second and third child.

To help plan for your family's future, our Family Tomorrow program provides you with 3 years of free storage when you purchase 10 or more vials at one time. http://www.cryobank.com/Services/Additional-Services/Family-Today---Family-Tomorrow/
    If you live close to one of our 4 branches, you can choose to transfer your vials to your local branch to reduce your shipping costs. We also have a 50% buyback program where you have up to 3 years to sell back extra vials that have not left CCB storage.

It's also important to discuss this process with your physician to see how many vials and which type (IUI or ICI) he/she uses for each insemination cycle, and also if IVF would ever be a possibility and if so, after how many IUIs. This should help you determine how many vials to purchase.

Our donors can sell out of their vials quickly, so it's great that you are planning for your family's future now.

Good luck with your journey to parenthood!

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    Thank you for your expertise! Does insurance cover buying the vials at all?
  • Options
    You're welcome. :)

Since insurance coverage varies so much, it's best to check with your insurance company to see if they will cover any part of the process. If they do reimburse expenses for specimen, storage, and/or shipping, we can provide you with an invoice to send to them for reimbursement.

Also, if you have a health savings account, you may want to look into that and see if your funds can be used for specimen costs.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB