Options

CMV Negative

So, after seeing results for cytomegalovirus (CMV) testing on donors, I investigated it a bit. My RE tested me for CMV and I was negative, which makes me a bit nervous. I have only looked at negative donors, so I should be good on that front, but as an elementary teacher I work in a higher risk environment, and really don't want to catch it while pregnant.

Long story short, my RE never really addressed it with me, and most internet articles downplay it. I've taught forever and never caught it apparently, but it still sounds scary. :-/

Does anyone have any insight or experience with this?

Comments

• Options
    My RE, who was super anal and cautious, said it was not a consideration and nothing to worry about. I am also a teacher. I am sure there are other drs who will say something different, but he told me not to even think about it as part of my decision on a donor.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks, Karen! Good luck to you too!
  • Options
    I am a physician and I discussed this with my RE. Because I am CMV negative, she recommended that I only choose a CMV negative donor for IUI (for the theoretical risk that you could contract it). However, I'm now moving on to IVF and she says there's never been a case of transmission of CMV with IVF so I broadened my search and have chosen a CMV+ donor this time. With IVF, I definitely think it is a non-issue. With IUI, it is probably safe, but the consequences could be dire if you do contract it while pregnant. So for me, I erred on the safe side. Hope that's helpful.
  • Options
    Thanks so much, ksink! Good luck to you with your IVF.
  • Options
    I'm CMV negative as well and only shopped for negative donors. From what I've researched, there is a 'slight' possibility of birth defects from it and since I was negative already, why introduce something potentially dangerous to both myself and the baby? My RE down played it too saying that half the population is positive but I just thought if I can choose something to eliminate a potential risk, I was going to do so... Just one opinion, hope it helps! :)