Options

HELP OPK Question!

My wife and I had got the first + OPK on 8/1 and went in on 8/2 for IUI. We had positive OPK's until the morning of 8/3. All OPK's on 8/3 were negative. (We use both Answer Brand strips and Clearblue Digital OPKs) This morning I woke up and took an OPK strip and it was a SUPER dark positive, so I tried a digital and it was a very faint negative. I thought perhaps it was bcuz it was FMU so I waited and took both tests again at about 10:00am which was probably like 3rd MU and SAME RESULT!!! Dark Positive strip and faint negative digital! I know the sensitivities can't be that extreme and how common is it to O twice?

We did use clomid this cycle but I still don't get it...
Even if I am O ing a second time, why the 2 different test results?! Whats going on!!?

Comments

• Options
    Don't you have to have a line as dark or darker than the control line in order to consider it positive? Did you on 8/1?

That's a good question but I don't think you can ovulate twice in a month...and from what I found online it says that you cannot ovulate twice.

Did your RE draw an LH level by chance at all? Maybe you weren't truly ovulating on 8/1....because didn't you say that normally you ovulated at like D18 or something and you thought it was odd that you ovulated on day D14...(off the top of my head...i know you posted somewhere else asking if its common to ovulate early with clomid)

Ah, the beauty of not ovulating naturally - we never had to worry about user error with the OPK...Oh yeah, our dr said NEVER use the digital OPK's cuz they had a MUCH wider window for ovulate.)
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply Tommie...

The line AND digital were + on 8/1 and both stayed positive through 8/2 in the PM. (We're close to being experts on the test strip since we've been doing them for over a year but still use the digitals to confirm.)

No LH draw, but my doc and wife said my cervix was wide and high and looked optimal.

All indicators showed 8/1 as O day.

I'm ok w/ Ovulating twice(extremely rare) or even once LOL I'm really just extra curious as to why I got 2 different results with the same sample.

I thought perhaps this mornings was a fluke-- maybe a rare false +, but for it to happen twice?

I will test again tonight and give u all an update but feel free to throw any ideas as to the cause my way.
  • Options
    So. Same thing happened last night and this morning: negative digital dark positive answer brand strip.

I had my wife pee on the answer brand to see if maybe there was something wrong with the tests but hers came out negative?!

That's 4 different tries each at a different time of day and still the same result.

Any more ideas?
  • Options
    Maybe we should send you in for testing! LOL...well maybe you did just ovulate twice! Got more vials?????
  • Options
    Can someone help clarify timing on a positive opk test? It seems as though most women on here schedule thier IUI within 24hrs after first positive, is this correct? But for trigger shot, its 36hrs? I guess its different for natural surge, so what if you get a positive and then do trigger as I would get instructed to do? hmm. Also, we're doing back to back and from what I understand its 12hr and 36hr after trigger? Its really up to us to enforce this since my RE seems to have wrong timing procedures in my opinion (too early). So we'll only get to do back to back's if my inseminations fall on the right days and its not a sunday in which their closed, or if we don't have time to pick up both vials which I don't want to do until we get very close to the go ahead know for sure we're doing 2. The other thing is I do all Menupor injectable cycles and last time my last US was on CD10 and IUI on CD12, does this seem to early? My follies were good size and I assume the RE doesn't want to overstimulate so I was instructed to do trigger on CD11. This time I'm going to use OPK test but if it was like last time, it will be too early for a positive test before proceeding. I know this is alot of questions, but I really need to ease my mind going forward. I really hope it's a success this time. Any thoughts? Please help?
  • Options
    Our RE does 37-39 hrs after trigger, or 24 hours (I think we've never actually ovulated on our own so i'm not positive when the appt would have been but assuming)after positive OPK.

We never did back to back and I believe our RE believes that it does not increase your chances (I have a hard time believing it doesn't unless you had it timed perfect the first insemination)

And I think 12/36 is what i've always seen others timing was with back to backs!

We did our US CD12 and IUI CD14. I don't think that matters as long as your follies are big enough. Our RE said around 15 was minimum to release but wanted them to be 18-24 CD12. (with trigger they will grow another 1-2mm a day)

Not sure why you would trigger if you naturally ovulated? So i'm not sure about the timing for that at all?
  • Options
    Our RE does 37-39 hrs after trigger, or 24 hours (I think we've never actually ovulated on our own so i'm not positive when the appt would have been but assuming)after positive OPK.

We never did back to back and I believe our RE believes that it does not increase your chances (I have a hard time believing it doesn't unless you had it timed perfect the first insemination)

And I think 12/36 is what i've always seen others timing was with back to backs!

We did our US CD12 and IUI CD14. I don't think that matters as long as your follies are big enough. Our RE said around 15 was minimum to release but wanted them to be 18-24 CD12. (with trigger they will grow another 1-2mm a day)

Not sure why you would trigger if you naturally ovulated? So i'm not sure about the timing for that at all?
  • Options
    Thanks Tommie or Nat-Sometimes we just feel better if what we're thinking is verified. I'm going to push for a few more days too with meds. I had 5 follies ranging on last US CD9(mistaken earlier, this was my last US) from 12, 13,17,14,14 and did 2 more day of meds and then trigger. I'd like to hopefully have this many again and get a bit bigger. I think they grow that same rate 1-2mm a day with my 75dpi menupor injectiables. My RE says with these injectible most only do meds from by CD3 - CD7-CD12 before they're ready. I like your blog btw. I hope everything keeps moving along nicely for you both.
  • Options
    That's not bad at all. If you did IUI on CD12 thats 3 days so your follies should be 15, 16, 20, 17, 17 (and that's MINIMUM at 1mm a day!) We had 5 follies too. 23, 21, 21, 19, 14 and those were on CD12.

So when do you do your IUI?? How many IUI's have you done before? Is this your first time on injections? How exciting! Sounds like you have a great cycle coming up! Baby dust!!! And thanks, we enjoy reading everyone's blogs as well!
  • Options
    I like the size of follies you guys had, I just want to push for a day or two more cause my RE jumps quick to trigger. We're going to try to blame on scheduling pick up for our vials. I have to 2 more IUI's through our insurance at 50% off plan and then we'd have to go to a specialty clinic which is not that much more in overall cost and my feelings is they are more on point with this whole process. But I'm going to keep the faith that Kaiser get's peeps pregnant. We did one IUI in June and waiting for my cycle to start anyday. We'll see how baseline US goes. I'm turning 41 this month and the first time was on injectables too. Your donor is in our top picks cause my wife has curly hair and we're mexican. Baby dust..baby dust.
  • Options
    Awesome, we have all his info if you want it! Your follies will grow either way the trigger just gives it an extra oomph.

Keep us updated!!!
  • Options
    I'm reading all of everyone's questions on here and maybe this is a stupid question but what does CD mean when your talking about days??

I bought some of that Soy Isoflaven vitamin tonight and I've read you take them for five days, but I'm very confused as to when you start because it says CD 1-5, 5-9 ect and I don't understand what that means. Help please!!!

I did our first try last weds using a syringe at home with ICI but not sure it took and won't know until Aug 17 when my period is due.

Good luck to you all :) I need some good luck baby dust myself!!! Thanks Liz
  • Options
    CD means cycle day. Baby Dust to you Liz!
  • Options
    TommieWartick-thanks for the offer, I think we like to keep things a mystery for now. I'm a lil concerned with how curly the hair could come out but maybe as long as the baby is healthy, I don't mind.

So here's what my RE wants to do this next cycle. Injectibles starting on CD2 and monitor with OPK smiley test when they give me go ahead to start testing(I'm ordering some clear blue easy digital) and once I get the smiley face, I am to take the trigger shot and come in within 24 hours for the 1st IUI and come in the following day for the 2nd IUI. UGH! Again I don't know why their timing seems to be different than everyone's that I read on here and FB. I thought it was supposed to be 12/36 but maybe its 24hr cause its after natural positive ovulation. And yes, she wants me to still take trigger for an extra precaution. I feel the 2nd IUI would be too late at this point cuz it could be 48hr by that time. Do you have any thoughts?? I hate this nervousness I have about timing. My RE will do what I want with timing and I can do an extra day or two of meds to increase follie size as long as I track my ovulation. Also, I read that I should take OPK test several times a day? Do I do at first urine? I go a couple of times in the night.

This is what I was thinking to do, once I get first smiley face schedule IUI within 24 hrs, but take my trigger 12hrs before scheduled IUI and then schedule 2nd IUI 24hrs after the 1st (36hrs after trigger)...how does this sound? Or should I just do IUI 12hrs after positive and trigger and 36hrs after for 2nd? Any thoughts?
  • Options
    That sounds crazy to me that your RE is not "telling" you what to do. I mean that is there job, their specialty! I don't know, I just know if we surged on our own we did the IUI 12hrs later. If we used the trigger we went in 36 hours later.

For the OPK we did it first morning pee and at night, both between 6-8.

Tommie is also very nervous about the curly hair, but everything is else great, plus it was my choice who we picked because Tommie is carrying and I wanted someone who looked like me. So minus the curly hair and 12224 looks like he could be from my family!

Isn't there a different RE where you're from? Someone who maybe knows a "winning" treatment plan???
  • Options
    Well they are telling me to do the following: once I getsmiley face, I am to take the trigger shot and come in within 24 hours for the 1st IUI and come in the following day for the 2nd IUI.

I just don't know if this is the best timing cause they had me do 24hr last time after trigger so I don't know if I can trust them but need to use them for now due to insurance.

I thought it was different timeframes for natural positive test. You even said before "Our RE does 37-39 hrs after trigger, or 24 hours (I think we've never actually ovulated on our own so i'm not positive when the appt would have been but assuming)after positive OPK" but just now you mentioned 12hrs after surge?

I really don't know what timeframe to go with. I'm so confused at this point and worried it will be wrong timing again. I wish I could get the info from a specility clinic but they wont answer over the phone without consultation fees.

Why's your blog going away ? :(
  • Options
    Hey have you ever googled it?

This is how it happened for us. We would go in for our CD12 US and they would ALWAYS draw an LH. They would tell us before we leave..."here's the prescription for the trigger shot - fill it ONLY if your LH comes back as NOT surging, or NOT even close to surging, and give it to yourself at 8pm tonight and then we will do the IUI 39 hours later. If the LH comes back as surging or close to surging we will schedule the IUI for tomorrow." So they never told us what time the appt would be if we naturally surged, they just said the next day.

15 hrs for first iui and 37 hrs for my second iui...does this sounds good?

I did ovidrel trigger with 1st iui at 12 hours and 2nd at 36 hours. Did that 2 months in a row and ended up with a chemical pregnancies both times. Apparently timing was good.

My RE has had me take the Ovidrel and then done the 1st IUI within an hour and coming back the next day for second IUI (24 hrs after Ovidrel)

I was told to trigger between 7-9pm and come back for IUI's the next morning and the following morning.

This is just some of what I found, so it seems first at 12hrs second at 36 hours....Hope that helps!

What do you mean my blog is going away? Are you talking about on "second times the charm?" I was just saying that no one commented on it in a long time, it was almost on page 2!!!
  • Options
    Oh I thought you we're talking about your personal blog...oops. thats good.

You're so cool for doing some searches for me :) I agree that this is what I've been finding too for both natural surge and trigger for B2B's. I got some feedback on FB too.

I feel more confident going with the trigger and controlling the time there than relying on surge. I purchased both first response line test and clear blue easy smiley to test before the trigger making sure I dont ovulate beforehand. My thing is if I detect a surge in the morning, the only option I have is to go in the following day and day after since they wont see me same day and its too early anyways. If I detect at night, then I'm good cause I can call in that night to be on the schedule for next day and day after. If my follies grow at a good rate like last time, I will most likely trigger on CD12 and I dont think I'll ovulate by then??? But not sure, I've never tested in the past or took temp. I just bought a BBT too, but dont know if its too late to track that. My cycles are usually 29-30 days but I've also been on birth control pills in between by RE and meds might speed things up.
  • Options
    Oh and if I detect surge in afternoon say about 2pm then it would like 9am the next morning and same thing following day if they have avaliable at that time. So thats like 19hrs and 43hr I think, I guess doable if that's what ends up happening. But like I said, I'm going to pray for relying on trigger.
  • Options
    yeah 19 and 43 sounds good too. I think we did them anywhere around 39-41ish hours.

We never tracked anything because Tommie is so irregular because of polycystic ovary syndrome. Infact she wouldnt' have had a period on her own without all these drugs and triggers since we had the D&C done to remove her uterine polyps.

I think not only is timing important but everything has to be perfect. For us I don't think it worked the first two trys for the following reasons: Try 1. The follie was WAY too big, at 30mm and still had time to grow with trigger...this size is over matured and one of our Dr's said it wasn't viable when a different Dr said it was. the lining was good this try. Try 2. we had 2 follies that were great size but our lining was only 6.9 so that's not good at all.

I firmly believe that the lining and follies must be within a certain parameter. We have one vial left of our donor and we decided after this pregnancy we will try one more cycle. But the lining has to be over 10mm and our follies have to be a good size and there has to be atleast 3 for us to go ahead with the IUI. LOL we are only going to use it when we have a GREAT chance of getting preggo! Good luck to you and keep us updated!
  • Options
    I hear ya on the "Great" probability. I'm definitley taking more charge this time around. That's way cool that you two want to try again in the future. My Dr says lining has to be at 9mm and follies at least 18mm. I would be happy with 1-2 good follies.

Well thanks and I'll keep you guys updated. Wish us babydust and I wish you two the best in moving along with a healthy pregnancy. My wife tells me this quote "Our footwork has to meet God's work" So we shall see....
  • Options
    That's the truth! When it's meant to be...it will be!
    BABY DUST!