Options

Hysterosalpingography

Hi Everyone,
Please need help with tons of ????
I visit my RE 4 the 1st time on Feb 20. Labs were taking, evrything OK.
Got my period 2day 2/25/09, so they will bring me in for more Labs on 2/27/09 (Hormones)
But the doctor want to do this weird test on 3/4/09 to see if there is any blockage in my tubes.
I think it means I will not be getting mi IUI this cycle, eventhough I am sharp every 28 days and ovulated just fine. ???????
Is this test really necessary? If everything looks fine, why don't just go ahead and try, or I also read doing an IUI the same month as a HSG increases the chances. :-)

Comments

• Options
    It is smart to do an HSG because just because you get an Lh surge and everything looks okay, no blood work will show if the egg is actually making it through the tube. If the tube is crimped or blocked or bent it can keep the egg from going to the uterus to implant, if it is lucky enough to connect with sperm. The HSG will push dye through the tubes, and the dr can take pictures to see that the dye went in to the uterus, which would mean your tubes are clear. It can make ALL the difference.

He can easily do the HSG on your cd7 (3/4/09) and do iui around cd 14 about 24 hours past your lh surge. You should be fine. The dye will also open up your tubes if they are blocked. The only thing you have to worry about is if there is a major problem with your tubes that the dye can't fix, but that is very unlikely. I bet you will be doing IUI around cd14 (around March 11th).

Good luck. I bet it will all go as scheduled.
  • Options
    Hi Mimibeth,
    Thanks for your response. After I posted my ??? in this website, I went ahead and did my research. I actually found really good info about this test and how it can help. I already purchased the sperm, but since my insurance onlu covers 6 IUI in a lifatime, I want to make sure everything is fine before I start trying. I am trying to get all teh advices I can. Like cutting back on caffeine, eating berries. I'll do anything it takes, I am 38 yrs old, I know my clock is ticking, but I am so positive it will be possible.
    Thanks for getting back to me on this one.
    Mary
  • Options
    Hi Mimibeth,
    Thanks for your response. After I posted my ??? in this website, I went ahead and did my research. I actually found really good info about this test and how it can help. I already purchased the sperm, but since my insurance only covers 6 IUI in a lifetime, I want to make sure everything is fine before I start trying. I am trying to get all the advices I can. Like cutting back on caffeine, eating berries. I'll do anything it takes, I am 38 yrs old, I know my clock is ticking, but I am so positive it will be possible.
    Thanks for getting back to me on this one.
    Mary
  • Options
    It is a very good test to get done. You want to make sure everything is good before you go ahead and do the process. My doctor made me go thru it as well. Just imagine that you try and it don't work and after many tries is because something was blocking. My results were good but is not the most pleasant exam. Honestly, I experienced a severe reaction to the dye. It caused me severe pain and my blood pressure was slighly high. I had to be admitted to the clinic minutes after the HSG. People react different to the dye. The percentages of risks and severe reactions are very low. I just happen to be one of them. I wish you the best of luck. I don't mean to scare. I just want you to be ready. Take Ibuprofen extra strenght 2 or 1 hour before you take the Test. It will ease your cramps. GOOD LUCK!
  • Options
    Hi Carmen,
    Thanks for your reply. I heard that if the results come back good, and you do an IUI that same cycle, your chances of pregnancy are higher. But I don't know if I want to do that, it scares me the fact that all that toxic (that I don't know when it would be released from my body) could harm a fetus in case of a BFP.
  • Options
    Hi, Dane1122

I am note sure if it would harm the fetus. The dye should be released from your body no more than 2 days. You will bleed the first day and the second day you might see some dye come out but not a lot. My doctor was ok with me doing the IUI my next cycle after the HSG (but i will wait one more cycle) so I do not think they should be any problem but I suggest you to consult it with your doctor. I don't see a reason why it the chances should be higher, Im not familiar with that. Good LUCK!!! Remember is always better to ask your doc for your future baby's protection.