Options

Anyone use 11227?

Hi. I recently purchased 14 IUI of donor 11227. I hope to do my first IUI in a month or two. I was hoping to meet someone who has also used this donor. I know his profile says that there are reported pregnancies.

Comments

• Options
    Hi all,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have used this donor and am very happy with him. I got pregnant on the first try and am expecting my little boy in March.
  • Options
    I also used donor 11227, got pregnant on the first try, and am expecting a baby boy in early March.
  • Options
    mamasbandt, if you want to keep in touch and share info about our kids, feel free to email me off list at misskennedyesq@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Mimibeth,

I'm using 11227 too, or intend to. Not doing IUI till March. May I ask, why did you buy so many? I'm trying to figure out how many to purchase. I don't know how people make these decisions!
  • Options
    This is my fourth attempt to post a reply to you, aquapacata. I don't understand why it isn't letting me post a reply.

Anyhow, the reason I bought 14 vials is because I am 37 years old and want more than 1 child, realize the miscarriage rate at my age is higher, prefer full siblings if possible, and because of my aging eggs plan to aggressively try with 3 IUI's per cycle.

Its exciting to think there are at least 4 of us who are using this donor, and since his specimen wasn't released until March of 2008, there will be many more. I am glad to have half-siblings for my future child(ren) to keep in touch with.
  • Options
    What states do you all live in? I live in southern Missouri. Arkmom obviously lives in Arkansas. :) What about you other two? I will find out tomorrow or the next day if IUI is possible 3 weeks from now. I hope so. I sure hope I am as lucky as Arkmom & mamasbandt and get pregnant the first try.
  • Options
    Still having trouble posting so if there is a duplicate, that is why.

I wanted to ask Arkmom & mamasbandt if they know how many mobile sperm were in the vials they used? Also, how many IUI's did you do that first month?
  • Options
    Mimibeth,

I live in Virginia but I'm moving to the Quad Cities (Illinois/Iowa) in August and will probably be there for 7-8 years minimum, or longer (depending on my partner's career). So if we're both lucky and have kids by 11227, we won't be *too* far away! That's exciting!

I hadn't heard about doing more than one IUI per cycle. I'm 34 so I guess I have a bit more time, but I still feel time pressure because I want to get pregnant here in Virginia with my current RE and current insurance. If I don't get pregnant here, I will have to stay on COBRA even longer, because I don't think you can transfer insurances while you're pregnant. Complicated stuff!

I'm going to start in March because I want the HSG covered by insurance, and it's not covered by insurance once you do your first IUI. So I should be ending my first TWW around March 28th as plans are currently.

My partner and I only want one kid by birth and plan to foster/adopt after that, so as long as his supply holds up, I'm planning on just buying the vials one day at a time. It feels slightly risky but since he's new I feel ok about it. So I just check his supply like, ~daily~! My RE can't store any sperm at all and has to have the tanks, so I have to ship them one at a time. But he seems really good and has been doing this for 35 years at a university, so I accept that additional cost as a cost of quality. (That's what I say to myself because I know it's dramatically cheaper across town at the private hospital...)

What are you waiting on to find out if the IUI is possible in 3 weeks? (And I'll be hoping you do get pregnant the first try!!)
  • Options
    Aquapacata,

I got my blood drawn to check my progesterone level to see if I indeed ovulated this past month on Clomid. My insurance covers NOTHING, and my doctor is using 'creative billing' to do all of this. He isn't charging for any of the IUI's.

When I was researching donors, I talked to several staff members at Cal. Cryobank, and found out donor 11227 is 'retired' as he relocated, so whatever vials he has is it. He has lots, so you should be in luck.

I fostered 12 kids over the past 8 yrs, and adopted 1, who was 12 and is now 20. It is the most challening thing I've done, by far. The attachment problems cause so many personality disorders and mental health issues. Just be prepared. I have taken almost 2 yrs off now with fostering, but will likely begin again this year. It is just so so emotionally taxing loving these kids for 1, 2, 3 years then they go home. Plus, there is such a genetic link with mental illness that no matter what you do with them, there is a huge risk of the substance abuse or mental health issue to surface regardless. I love fostering and look forward to doing it again soon, but please go in to it realizing that it is never like you think it will be.

Sounds like you will be about 4.5 hours north of St. Louis. I'm 3 hours south of St. Louis. Another soon to be mother of a baby of donor 11227 is about 7 hours south of St. Louis. There is so much to do in St. Louis; a free zoo, free science museums for kids; cool stuff----lots cheap & free! In addition, there is Branson, but that would be much farther for you. I'm interested in seeing where mamasbandt lives. I really hope my future child(ren) can be in touch with their half-siblings.

Feel free to contact me at mmimibeth@aol.com anytime.
  • Options
    Mimibeth,

I know what you mean about fostering. I managed a specialized therapy clinic for children for five years. About half our patients were fostered or adopted, so I worked with social workers and therapists and foster parents all the time, and more than once we replaced furniture and equipment that foster kids broke while in therapy! Plus I have a sister with serious mental illness and I teach a class on MH for family members here in Virginia. Actually, that was one thing I liked about 11227, was no evidence of MH issues, because my child will have a 4% chance of inheritability because of my sister, which is small but I didn't want to increase it! We know it's going to be quite a challenge, but we want to give back on the second one if we decide to have more than one child.

Anyway, that's awesome your doctor isn't charging for the IUI's! Mine are $200 but estimated monthly cost is about $1500 including lab charges and ultrasounds. I'm going in today for an LH then I have two progesterones on Thursday and next Monday. I'm using letrozole, not clomid, at this point.

St Louis sounds like a good place to meet! Of course, we're thinking WAY ahead now.

I'll drop you an email!
  • Options
    Hi everyone! Great to hear sucess with donor 11227! He is in my top three donor choices. I plan on starting IUI in june. Interestingly I too live in the Midwest, Iowa actually. It would be great if 11227 works for all of us and to have half siblings nearby and stay in touch! How wonderful. Do you know app. how many vials are left for 11227? Nicole
  • Options
    Nicole

When I bought the vials, the lady would only say, "Well, if you wanted to buy 30 or so, all I can tell you is that there are enough for you to do that. We can't tell you how many are left."

There are still over 25 tonight, so he probably has quite a few there, but the staff did tell me he moved out of the area and doesn't plan to donate anymore. Of course, that could always change. I just wanted to make sure I had enought to hopefully have a couple kids by the same donor.

Best of luck narrowing it down to the best choice for you. I know it is a difficult choice. His family health history is good, plus his family temperaments are good. There wasn't mental illness or substance abuse in the family, and education and spirituality seems important to his family. In addition, the family members are all at healthy weights and are educated. He is musical and an excellent communicator. And when it is time to show my children his profile, there isn't anything they will be ashamed of being a part of, so he just had it all as far as I'm concerned. I purchased so many family histories and other things on other donors. This donor really works for me.

Let us know how your IUI goes in June!

Mary
  • Options
    Mimibeth, thanks for the response, info, and good luck wishes! :) It's great to get a ittle sneak peek at some extra info about his profile. thanks again. nicole
  • Options
    Hello all. I had my first IUI w/11227 on 01/23/09. Hopefully I will get BFP next Thursday. If so, I definitely plan to purchase more vials so that I can try for another sibling at a later time. Best wishes to all!!!
  • Options
    sgriffingg,

Best of Luck on BFP. Please keep us posted.

I had a heart procedure (ablation for tachycardia) on January 16th, and both my heart doctor and OB/GYN are making me wait a couple months for IUI. I was hoping to start in a few days. Maybe I can convince them I am recouperated completely & do it the end of February.

Did the doctor tell any of you who posted here numbers or motility or anything?

Mary
  • Options
    Mary-
    Yesterday I confirmed BFP with my RE. My hCG and Progesterone levels are low, but I am also only 12dpiui. But he did put me on Prometrium (progesterone supplement) just in case. But this means I too became preganant on first IUI and I am 39. 11227 has super sperm!!!! When inseminated, they did not tell me the motility or anything. They just said everything looked great and if the egg and sperm meet, all will be good. Well thank goodness they met. Now they just need to stay together in my happy little uterus home!!!

I will check on here every couple weeks to see how you are progressing and if anyone else has any luck with our donor.

Arkmom and mamasbandt, I would love to hear about your deliveries in March. I would love to keep in contact with you. My email address is sgriffingg@yahoo.com. Being a single mom, it is nice to know that my child has half siblings.
  • Options
    Congratulations! What state do you live in?

I am so excited you also got pregnant the first time. I do hope someone ends up having a girl from 11227!! :)

How far after the Lh surge did you do IUI? Did you use Clomid or anything else?

Mary
  • Options
    Where did all of the 11227 vials go? Just a few days ago there were over 25 left now there are none am upset was planning to use this donor very soon, but couldn't afford the extra cost of buying and storing.
  • Options
    Nicole,

I noticed that last night, too. Occasionally I look to see if there are less, so I can try to guess how many people are out there trying to get pregnant by this donor. The number never moved from over 25 until the were out completely.

I'm sorry you missed the opportunity to use this donor. It seems the sperm is pretty good stuff considering it has only been available to purchase since March, just under a year, and there are already over 5 pregnancies reported. I know a couple of us have vials purchased, and are getting ready to start IUI in the next month or so.

Unless a person uses a credit card or gets a loan, most cannot afford to purchase all they need to make sure vials are available when you need them. I am really sorry they ran out before you were able to buy what you wanted. It takes a lot of time, thought, and effort to finally decide on which donor is most suitable for you. I am hoping you have success in finding one that works for you just as well or even more.

Mary
  • Options
    2beamom,

If this donor has only been available since March, you should call CCB and ask if there are more vials in quarantine waiting to come out. All vials are quarantined for 6 months until repeat labs for infectious diseases are good.

My donor was/is running low & I called them to ask. They will tell you the release date for quarantined vials.

Good luck!
  • Options
    QUADS!! I got pregnant the first try with QUADS from 11227, and the 3 they could get to for genetic testing were perfectly healthy (2 boys 1 girl). Unfortunately, I miscarried at 13 wks in March. We just tried again with 11227 and it also worked first time! I'm 41 years old too! This time it is just one.
  • Options
    QUADS! I got pregnant the first try with QUADS from 11227, and the 3 they could get to for genetic testing were perfectly healthy (2 boys 1 girl). Unfortunately, I miscarried at 13 wks in March. We just tried again with 11227 and it also worked first time! I'm 41 years old too! This time it is just one.
  • Options
    kg0705mg,

some of us email eachother regularly, email me at misskennedyesq@yahoo.com if you want me to loop you in.

Best,

Rebekah