Options

The Back-Up Plan

New movie about a single woman using donor sperm.

http://www.theback-upplan.com/

Comments

• Options
    Good to see movies on this subject! Here is another movie (starring Jennifer Aniston) about a woman undergoing artificial insemination using a donor:

http://www.fandango.com/theswitchmovietrailer/131132
  • Options
    I wonder when that comes out.
  • Options
    I think "The Switch comes out sometime in August and "The Back-Up Plan" is April 23rd.
  • Options
    I had not heard of the Aniston one. Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    No problem :) I heard of it last year, but it was called "The Baster" at that time...guess they changed the name, but they should be interesting!
  • Options
    I can't wait to see this movie, what great timing in my life! :)love the previews!
  • Options
    Yes, it is great timing for me as well :) I doubt I will be able to watch "The Back-Up Plan" unless I have someone watch my son. I hope my sister and mom watch these movies so they can understand more about this subject and how it is not uncommon for single women to go this route :)
  • Options
    I hadn't heard about the Jennifer Aniston one! I am boycotting the Jlo one since she has come out against fertility treatments http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1242534/Jennifer-Lopez-I-wouldnt-IVF-treatment-I-children.html

I find it hypocritical for her to do the film then!

I saw this one posted on twitter. It is a documentary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMfEDTXUnbQ

Regardless of my personal annoyance at Jlo, I'm glad these films are being made. It will hopefully open the eyes of the general public. :o)
  • Options
    Hey tmccollum, long time no post. How have you been?
  • Options
    Oops, I searched back up plan and posted my response in the wrong thread...so here it is again over here. :o)

I've been on a bit of a break and just had laparoscopic surgery last week. I should be able to get back to cycling next month. How are you doing? I hope you are healing after all you have been through. You were taking a few month break as well, right? I hope we both get BFP's in the near future. It would be great to be pg. buddies. Our persistence just has to pay off!

xoxo
  • Options
    yes, i have been on a break. i will be having an iui in may with 11349. weren't you going to be trying with him? maybe we'll be pregnant together. i sure hope it all pays off soon...we've been through a lot. email me sometime istaci23@yahoo.com
  • Options
    I have mixed feeling about this. In one aspect she is doing what most of us single by choice moms have done. I would have liked to have seen her do it on her own and THEN meet the 'perfect' guy.

I am not sure that a few days/weeks after having an IUI and then meeting the perfect guy who decides he's ok with the situation, sends the right message.

Most of us who choose to be a single mother by choice are doing so because of the lack of the right man in our lives. Lets face it, if we had the perfect guy in our lives, we wouldn't need an IUI and be single and doing this.

So I have mixed feelings on this.
  • Options
    Yeah, I see where you're coming from. It does seem like it all happens to quickly. Amazingly she gets pregnant on her 1st IUI (Dang it, it took me 7!). Oh well, I think it'll stillbe a good movie and something we can relate to.
  • Options
    I am planning on seeing the one w/Jlo even though I really thought what she said was hypocritical. Plus, I don't really buy her story about twins in her 40s with no assistance whatsoever, after years of infertility??...(maybe so, but I doubt it)

I have much more respect for Celine Dion and Courtney Cox who have been open about their fertility journey....I think they help to contribute a positive message to others who are in the same situation..... this is just my opinion, however.
  • Options
    smaciegracie, thanks for your e-mail addy. :o) I'll be in touch as I get rolling again. I'm also going to try to check in with these boards more often. xo
  • Options
    the movie was cute and entertaining and very funny, a bit far fetched but it's a chick flick/romance/comedy....lighthearted material, worth seeing!!! enjoy
  • Options
    Some of us are here, not based on failure with relationships, but rather the realization that life is beautiful and can be complete without a man in your life. Until we are fully happy with ourselves and our lives, it is important to reach deep inside ourselves to find that this is truly what we want. A child is a new world of endless wonders to a mom and it is a choice we must willingly make when we are 110% sure. I have been a single mother for 8 years and love my life with my son. I have had admirers, but my interest does not lie on a relationship, it lies in my mission to raise my son and eventually another child to the best of my abilities giving my best to them to rear them in a wholesome, and happy environment. Motherhood is not about longing to have a person in your life for yourself, but of giving the best of yourself to your children. I am truly happy with my life, I'm successful, my son is a happy little boy, and my next child, will have the same wonders and joys that my son has had....the unconditional love and attention he/she deserves. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the type of mom that cries every time my son gets a scrape or a tear falls from his eyes...no I'm very loving, and doting, but very firm and balanced in my give and take. Hope this inspires all to look deep within to see the joy with oneself so that one can give their best to their child/dren.
  • Options
    I loved the movie. I went with a friend who is also pregnant and single and we just laughed. Very cute and entertaining.
  • Options
    I saw the movie the day after it came out and it was cute. I laughed and even got teary-eyed. The only part I didn't like were how the single women in the support group were depicted. Not all of us are nutty! :)
  • Options
    I WAS thinking of seeing it, but rather than seeing the typical hollywood making a mockery out of birth, I'm going to do what birthing class has taught me: don't watch any of the hollywood stuff ("Baby Story", etc.) So I will pass on this one. I'd rather rent "Or gas mic Birth" to stay positive in my last few weeks-I'm at 36 weeks :O
  • Options
    The movie was way fluffy and unrealistic and I also didn't like the depiction of the women single mothers group as being so wacky, but it had some cute moments.

Until I heard her quotes about IVF I would have said that J Lo deserved privacy with respect to how she had her twins, but her language is so superior and insensitive to other people's infertility challenges.

I think she probably did do IVF. But whether she actually had a fairytale experience or is making it up for the press, her attitude is so smug. It's gross.