Options

IUI versus IVF age 39

OK, so I know this is a little preliminary, and I am in my 2ww (pure tortore) ...

But for ppl in their late 30s, early 40s, how many IUI cycles did you do before moving to IVF?

I started reading some stuff on line saying that the success rates for natural cycle (I did clomid) are really very low for this age group (my age group!)

I don't want to get too aggressive too fast, but I also don't want to throw away $$ on lots of IUI cycles if there is a very low chance of them working.

Success stories for women in their late 30s/early 40s? I would love to hear them!! Especially in a group of single women who presumably most of us are not infertile, just have not had the opportunity to conceive being without a partner...as opposed to the patient that sees an REI after months or years of trying to concieve with a partner!

I know it's all very individual, but I would love to hear some success stories!

Karin

Comments

• Options
    Karin... I was 42 when I got pregnant. I used no meds, only a stick to pee on when the surge came about. I got pregnant on my 2nd IUI try. I knew the first one was not going to happen, and freaked out when I thought the second one did not happen. I peed on a stick WAY to early. I only found out I was pregnant on day 13 of the 2 ww. My HCG levels were low that day, but they did double/triple appropriately 4 days later. There was a weekend involved so I waited for the 2nd blood test. I have a healthy 6 months old now. He did come 2 months early but still he is doing amazingly. Don't freak out. It does happen. Good luck.
  • Options
    Other things I did do, I went for acupuncture all the time. My acupuncturist was amazing and he actually preped my body for this to happen. The day I had an insemination I actually had an appt and he did a treatment to relax me and try to help me stay calm.
  • Options
    Karin - I started this when I was 34 and am 35 now. I got pregnant on my 5th IUI (all medicated) but miscarried at 12 weeks. I had 4 more IUI's before moving on to IVF and wish I had done it sooner. I opted for genetic testing on my embryos and discovered a lot of issues that likely explain why the IUi's won't working. It's a hard decision to make but my doctor is fabulous....he never pushed me to do something I didn't want but always was willing to spend lots of time discussing the options.
  • Options
    Karin - a lot of it is really individual. Anissa's story is wonderful but unusual and not the norm. I got PG via natural method on one try at nearly 38 so I thought I would have no problem with #2. At 42-43 after multiple failed IUI's I went to an RE who basically said stop screwing around, every month counts, if you're serious about getting PG with your own eggs start IVF. Even with great numbers for my age -- better than a lot I heard much younger than me -- it was FOUR IVF cycles later when I finally got my BFP last month. So IMHO, especially if you've never been PG (and don't even know if you do have any other issues), I would at least go in for a consult. Be prepared and arm yourself with knowledge -- it doesn't mean you have to do anything before you are ready. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice everybody! And thanks for all of the positive stories!! Gives me hope ...

Will keep you posted!
  • Options
    Karin,
    I am 36. I started this when I was 35. I have PCOS and don't ovulate without meds, so all of my attempts have been on Femara. I did 4 on just Femara, then 2 on Femara and injectibles. My 5th attempt was a positive but resulted in a misacarriage. My 6th was positive too. During my TWW with my 6th attempt, I went for an IVF consult. I ended up not needing to go that route since IUI worked, but that was my point of switching. I only did 6 IUIs because that is what my insurance requires before paying for IVF (you have to prove 6 months of infertility). Anyway, I would have switched sooner given the option. It's basically your decision but like Netti said, every month counts at this point. But check with your insurance too. They might require you to do something if they are going to pay for IVF. A lot of insurances don't pay for anything, so I am lucky in that regard. Anyway, my words of advice...Check with your insurance, check your levels, and go with your drs recommendation.
  • Options
    Thanks austin girl. My levels are good. All numbers came out okay, but I know that is not a guarantee. My insurance covers 60% of IVF I believe, but my doctor is really expensive, and there is a 10,000 maximum, so I don't even know if that would cover one cycle!

IUI is mostly covered, but again I'll only have a few cycles before my insurance runs out! And here I thought the sperm was the limiting factor in terms of cost!!

Anyhow, I'll keep you all posted! I feel pretty normal (i.e. don't have lots of symptoms).

Did you have symptoms with your BFPs?

Talk to you soon :-)